Intermittent clunking right rear

DFM

Buick Ownership
Cascada
For over a year have been experiencing intermittent clunking in right rear when making turns and going over bumps always at slow speeds. The dealer cannot figure out what's causing it. They referred problem to a GM engineer over a month ago and still no idea when the engineer will be at dealer.

It seems to happen more when it's hot. On my frequent visits to the dealer for an early appointment it doesn't happen on the drive there, but if I bring it in later in the day or the service technician test drives it later in the day, they can hear the clunking. Can't say for sure that it never happened, but I don't recall hearing the clunking in the Winter.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was it? Dealer says it's safe to drive, but I rarely drive it and have only put 2,500 miles on it during the 22 months I have owned it because I am not 100% confident the problem is harmless.

It is fun to drive so hope it can be resolved.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Links to some others who seem to have a noise problem. You may ask if the dealer has a test unit similar to a Steelman Pro Smart Ear. It's a test unit with remote sensors that can be placed in different locations on the car's to "listen" for trouble shooting noise while driving.

It's one of those problems that you need to make a note on when it occurs, road conditions, speed, temperature etc. As many details so if possible they can reproduce the same environment if possible. Hope they get it solved.

Used 2016 Buick Cascada Convertible Pricing - For Sale | Edmunds

16-NA-270: Creak/Rattle/Clunk Over Bumps in Left or Right Rear Package Shelf Area - 2016 Buick Cascada

Rattle while driving - Buick Cascada Forums

DFM

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Links to some others who seem to have a noise problem. You may ask if the dealer has a test unit similar to a Steelman Pro Smart Ear. It's a test unit with remote sensors that can be placed in different locations on the car's to "listen" for trouble shooting noise while driving.

It's one of those problems that you need to make a note on when it occurs, road conditions, speed, temperature etc. As many details so if possible they can reproduce the same environment if possible. Hope they get it solved.

Used 2016 Buick Cascada Convertible Pricing - For Sale | Edmunds

16-NA-270: Creak/Rattle/Clunk Over Bumps in Left or Right Rear Package Shelf Area - 2016 Buick Cascada

Rattle while driving - Buick Cascada Forums
Thank you for your input. They used chassis ears at several points and still couldn't locate the source of the noise. Good point about recreating conditions. Not sure if it was clunking when they used the chassis ears. I definitely notice at higher temperatures. If GM engineer shows up and whether is cool, worried he would be able to even reproduce the noise. Will check out your links. Thanks again.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Glad they had ears on it already as most are getting "that's just the way it is" answer.

Have the GM engineer just ride around in the trunk for a day or two, it's a bet that noise will be located fast LOL. Best of luck on this.

kurtp13

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Glad they had ears on it already as most are getting "that's just the way it is" answer.

Have the GM engineer just ride around in the trunk for a day or two, it's a bet that noise will be located fast LOL. Best of luck on this.
I'm sure this was written in jest, but it's a good bet that the engineer might actually fold the seats down and poke into the trunk during a drive. The original poster might try this too while waiting. Dealers are hit and miss when it comes to finding root cause.

Liebo

Buick Newbie
Detroit area
Buick Ownership
'01 Lesabre custom
I've had this happen 3 times and every time it was a blown diaphragm in the air shock. just put the gas shock conversion kit on yesterday, took a lighter and melted the plastic lines shut, feels great so far

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.