Intermittent Stalling Issues

NickT

Oregon
Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Hi everyone,
I am having some intermittent stalling issues with my 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL 3.8L. It only has 70,000 miles on it. It will run for a few minutes then stall and on the DIC it will show “Ignition Disabled Service Throttle” “Engine Power Reduced” “Service Traction Control” and occasionally “Service Brake Assist”. I took it to the dealership and they said that they were having problems communicating with the throttle body which was aftermarket, so they put in a GM one and it has not had any effect. I checked all grounds and fuses associated with things that could cause this but nothing seemed off. I read that someone fixed this issue with a replaced alternator and attempted this because I needed one regardless and it did not make any difference. My next step is going to be replacing the ECM. I was wondering if there were any thoughts on this as I am pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.
Thanks!

NickT

Oregon
Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Hi everyone,
I am having some intermittent stalling issues with my 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL 3.8L. It only has 70,000 miles on it. It will run for a few minutes then stall and on the DIC it will show “Ignition Disabled Service Throttle” “Engine Power Reduced” “Service Traction Control” and occasionally “Service Brake Assist”. I took it to the dealership and they said that they were having problems communicating with the throttle body which was aftermarket, so they put in a GM one and it has not had any effect. I checked all grounds and fuses associated with things that could cause this but nothing seemed off. I read that someone fixed this issue with a replaced alternator and attempted this because I needed one regardless and it did not make any difference. My next step is going to be replacing the ECM. I was wondering if there were any thoughts on this as I am pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.
Thanks!
Sorry I forgot to add, when it stalls and I try to restart it, the ignition doesn’t do anything. If I wait for around 3 minutes or so, it’ll take a little longer to start but it’ll run for a few minutes before stalling out again.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Any CEL or codes? A couple things to check the negative cable to the floor ground in the back seat make sure it is clean to the mount and secure. The rear seat fuse box, pull the fuel pump fuse and relay, look at the bottom of the box along with the fuse / relay for burning or melted areas.

It may be ignition related but no mention if the anti theft is blinking during the issues, also assuming that someone would have checked it out.

As to the TB, if this is the 3rd one installed on a vehicle with that low of mileage it's appears that it was parts tossing at a problem and not correctly troubleshooting the source of the problem. A good scanner and technician experienced in electronics troubleshooting, not just code reading, may be something to source.

Not being on site or knowing the vehicles history it's somewhat best guessing at this point.

NickT

Oregon
Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Any CEL or codes? A couple things to check the negative cable to the floor ground in the back seat make sure it is clean to the mount and secure. The rear seat fuse box, pull the fuel pump fuse and relay, look at the bottom of the box along with the fuse / relay for burning or melted areas.

It may be ignition related but no mention if the anti theft is blinking during the issues, also assuming that someone would have checked it out.

As to the TB, if this is the 3rd one installed on a vehicle with that low of mileage it's appears that it was parts tossing at a problem and not correctly troubleshooting the source of the problem. A good scanner and technician experienced in electronics troubleshooting, not just code reading, may be something to source.

Not being on site or knowing the vehicles history it's somewhat best guessing at this point.
Hi there,
Thank you for the response. There were past two codes, U0100 and U0101, when I checked a few days ago. When this problem first happened and I looked at the codes there were 6, P0601, P0606, U0107, C0035, C0040, C0242. But they are gone and haven’t returned. Took the main ground off of the battery yesterday and looked at it, had good impedance and seemed like it was making a solid connection. I am getting the battery tested today, had it tested a few months ago and it was given a clean bill of health. I took off the the relay and fuse that you recommended and didn’t see any signs of a melting or discoloration. There aren’t any anti theft lights on. I haven’t checked the ignition on it yet. So there may be something there.
I am very frustrated with that dealership that I took it to. At first they said it ran for them and it was fine, then on my way home with it within 5 minutes it had died and I had to call a tow. Then they just replaced a part that had already been replaced for 700 dollars. I’ll look into seeing if I can find someone that has experience troubleshooting electronics, that would be really valuable.
Thanks!

NickT

Oregon
Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Get your turbo buick badge right here!