iPod Keeps Indexing Intellalink

COBBCITY

Buick Newbie
Buick
Hi,

I purchased a 2013 Buick Verano just yesterday and while I could ring my dealer, I decided to see if there is a quick and easy answer here.

I have my iPod touch connected to the USB port in the center console. I keep it there and don't unplug it or take it with me. However, whenever I started my car and attempt to play music from the iPod the system tells me every time it is "indexing" the music on the iPod. It may play the last song I playing but there will be no searching for any other music until this 5 minutes (or so) indexing process finishes... each and every time I start the car.

The iPod has not been unplugged, the music library on it has not changed, the index being created will be the same one created the last 5 times. I could understand if there were changes made or the iPod had been taken from the vehicle but I see no reason for the system to index the same music over and over.

I keep thinking there is a setting somewhere where I can tell it to not do this. It seems odd this would be acceptable to most users of the system sitting and waiting several minutes each time you start the car before you can start using the iPod connected via USB.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Mikebinok

Oklahoma
2013 Buick Verano Turbo
I believe it does this to look for changes, such as songs that are added or removed. I don't know of a way to avoid it. I use a USB drive, but have the same experience, and I also find it annoying. My impression is that subsequent searches don't take nearly as long as the initial one.

COBBCITY

Buick Newbie
Buick
I guess it is true that it can't tell if the iPod library has been changed. However, with 4,000 songs on my iPod I don't think GM pondered the amount of time the system would need to "index for fun" when someone has a very large library of songs and rarely ads more. At least I know I am not alone.

GolfingDuo

Central Massachusetts
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
It doesnt matter if you leave it plugged in. The USB port gets shut off when you turn off the car. Each time you start the car it refreshes the USB. The iPod has to handshake each time.

Last edited:

sopipari

Buick
You should see what it does since ios 6.1.2 came out for the iphone 5 with 23,000 songs in the cloud. 45 *minutes* to index. It will start playing music after about 3 minutes (which is also ridiculous). It sees all the undownloaded songs (which is new) And what's best is that it only sees maximum 10,000 songs. Most of my drives are less than 25 minutes so the Intellilink voice control is completely and utterly broken for me.

Lucky thing is that Apple made it so you can still control you iPhone music when connected via USB (no more 'accessory connected screen) so I can at least control my music.

As far as I'm concerned though, Intellilink is just about useless since it and the iPhone don't get along at all and updates aren't exactly rolling along.

Last edited:

GolfingDuo

Central Massachusetts
And GM is not fixing it. :(:mad::sad:

You should see what it does since ios 6.1.2 came out for the iphone 5 with 23,000 songs in the cloud. 45 *minutes* to index. It will start playing music after about 3 minutes (which is also ridiculous). It sees all the undownloaded songs (which is new) And what's best is that it only sees maximum 10,000 songs. Most of my drives are less than 25 minutes so the Intellilink voice control is completely and utterly broken for me.

Lucky thing is that Apple made it so you can still control you iPhone music when connected via USB (no more 'accessory connected screen) so I can at least control my music.

As far as I'm concerned though, Intellilink is just about useless since it and the iPhone don't get along at all and updates aren't exactly rolling along.

GolfingDuo

Central Massachusetts
Don't know...I'll need to complain *again* and see what they are saying now.

Complain is all anyone can. They do not care. I have a complaint on a problem and no one is working on it. It is related to your iPod problem. It is happening in all GM cars. They do not care! BCS here closes issues without resolutions. Infotainment do not make return calls. The dealer cant fix it without a resolution from GM.

Keep complaining and maybe someone will listen. I have for the past 4 months. It has not got me any closer to it since they finally realize that they have problems with iPod. Only they keep saying that they are compatible. Kia, Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Audi do not have the problem with iPod. Only GM does.

johnnybon

Buick Newbie
Buick
Found the fix. You must do a hard reset on the Ipod. On the Ipod nano pressing the menu & middle button at the same time for 6-10 seconds. The apple icon will then appear on the ipod. Once it reboots plug it aback in the USB port in the Verano and it will work.

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
When I went for a test drive, I plugged in my 5th gen ipod classic. It took about 10 seconds to start playing. While it was indexing, it was playing the first song (alphabetically) but I could not control the ipod at all. After a few minutes, I was stopped at a light, and noticed I was able to change songs, but it was still indexing. A few mintues later, we were back at the dealer, and it was done indexing.

So I turned the car off and waited for the interior to time out. Opened the door, closed it, and restarted the car. The ipod came up and started indexing again. But this time it only lasted about 10-15 seconds before it was done and all the info came up again.

Different ipods behave differently. My 5th gen classic has firmware that is really old, so maybe that has something to do with it.

cjmnews

Buick Verano 2012, BuicK Terraza 2007, Chevrolet Trailblazer 2003
If you sync the iPod with iTunes, it will check for new firmware updates, and if it does not, then you can click on the iPod and then click on Check for Firmware Update to see if there is one.

I use a 5th generation Nano. My 3rd generation Nano had issues where it would freeze up on start occasionally 3-5 times a week. The 5th gen has only had 1 issue in the last 6 months where it forgot where it was playing.

I also don't have Intellilink since I have a 2012 with navigation (not my choice).

But I can control the iPod with the buttons and dial with no issues.

Turbo Buick Badge