• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Is rear brake bleeding necessary 2011 CXL

OlSmokie

Buick Ownership
Regal
I replaced my rear rotors and pads about a year ago and they have been fine, but they are almost toast already. They were a "premium" brand, not the cheapest ones, but when I changed them, I did NOT bleed the calipers. Is that something that is mandatory on these cars? Could that cause y wear problem?
I'm pretty easy on this car, so I am a bit surprised by the quick wear on this set.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
brake bleeding is for air in the system which would cause a spongy pedal and less wear on the rear if there was air.
did you have any issues installing the pads in the area of getting the pistons to retract?

OlSmokie

Buick Ownership
Regal
brake bleeding is for air in the system which would cause a spongy pedal and less wear on the rear if there was air.
did you have any issues installing the pads in the area of getting the pistons to retract?
I used the correct tool and the piston went back in no problem. New pads slipped right in and everything felt fine, including peddle feel.
I assumed they would adjust themselves when I used them. Correct?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's some additional information about brakes, steps and parts that require attention when doing brakes which may help on identification to the ware problem.
GM Late-Model Brake Job -

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I'm doing my front brakes and I couldn't get the rusted rotors off the hub, so I used this trick with a bolt and nuts/washers and it worked great.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
You bleed brakes when you’ve done something to introduce air into the system. Changing pads and rotors doesn’t do that. My guess would be that either the guide pins are sticking and causing the pad to ride on the rotor or the parts you bought weren’t OEM quality. Maybe a combination of the two.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
It could also be a caliper piston sticking. Rear brakes last for many years so there's definitely something hanging up to cause them to wear out in a year. I still have my original rear brakes after 75000 miles, but I have replaced the front brakes twice now.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
It could also be a caliper piston sticking. Rear brakes last for many years so there's definitely something hanging up to cause them to wear out in a year. I still have my original rear brakes after 75000 miles, but I have replaced the front brakes twice now.
Possibly but I wouldn’t think both rear caliper pistons would stick at the same time and wear at the same rate. Now that I say that I guess the same would go for the slide pins too. My vote goes to crap parts.

OlSmokie

Buick Ownership
Regal
You were right. I had a sticky calliper and only 1 pad was wore out. Still ruined the rotor.

Pedal Commander