Is the belt tensioner a weak part?

GORINICHevo2

Buick Ownership
Park Avenue
Hello guys. It's about a 92 Park Avenue. As I was replacing the Idler pulley, As soon as I started the engine I heard a shrilling noise. I stopped it immediatly, took out the serpentine belt and discovered a broken/missing piece as shown in the picture. So is there something problematic with the tensioner quality? By the way how to disassemble it in order to replace it (especially with the big hoses at the bottom of the engine close to location ? And is a new idler pulley easy to spin (Mine can't even make half a round when free) ? Thanks for answers.

Attachments

• SAM_1188.JPG
    SAM_1188.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 7
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Hello guys. It's about a 92 Park Avenue. As I was replacing the Idler pulley, As soon as I started the engine I heard a shrilling noise. I stopped it immediatly, took out the serpentine belt and discovered a broken/missing piece as shown in the picture. So is there something problematic with the tensioner quality? By the way how to disassemble it in order to replace it (especially with the big hoses at the bottom of the engine close to location ? And is a new idler pulley easy to spin (Mine can't even make half a round when free) ? Thanks for answers.
the tensioner needs to come of and be replaced. it may be a bracket

ulycyc

Long Island, New York
Buick Ownership
1987 Turbo Buick, 2001 Park Ave Ultra
I got rid of my 93 Park Ave Ultra with over 300K miles. It still had the original tensioner/idler pulley's so I wouldn't say they are known weak parts.

jwadee87

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
mine is still working fine and it's original

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
I got rid of my 93 Park Ave Ultra with over 300K miles. It still had the original tensioner/idler pulley's so I wouldn't say they are known weak parts.
impressive. Was that a 1 belt car? its possible it was overbuilt because of the 1 belt.

ulycyc

Long Island, New York
Buick Ownership
1987 Turbo Buick, 2001 Park Ave Ultra
impressive. Was that a 1 belt car? its possible it was overbuilt because of the 1 belt.

2 belts and 2 tensioners. For some reason the belts wore less the 1993 then on my 2001 ultra. Nothing fancy or performance on either car. Only a drop in KN washable air filter on both cars. 2001 has 230K miles but I did change the tensioner pulley around 170K miles

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
2 belts and 2 tensioners. For some reason the belts wore less the 1993 then on my 2001 ultra. Nothing fancy or performance on either car. Only a drop in KN washable air filter on both cars. 2001 has 230K miles but I did change the tensioner pulley around 170K miles
sometimes its magical what parts last and what dont. The tensioner on my F150 is a dayco design, and it shred the pulley at 115k (plastic) and the spring mechanism just wasnt doing it anymore about then either. but there are people with older F150s with their OE tensioner (same design) on 300k with both the pulley and spring part working great. Same engine too lol!