• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Is the seat leather real?

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Cloth upholstery warms-up a whole lot faster than leather, and it breathes a lot better as well.

This report is coming live from Minnesota, where snow & highway construction are the only two seasons we have.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
If it ended up being as good as MB-Tex then I should have gotten it. (Says the guy with a wallet made of the vinyl they used for Cadillac roofs in the 1970s...)

I wish they'd be honest and offer us options like Naugahyde - the Nauga population has fully recovered in the past few decades and there's no need to keep them on the endangered list.
I think they are still very rare, have not seen one lately in the wild or the zoo.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Cloth upholstery warms-up a whole lot faster than leather, and it breathes a lot better as well.

This report is coming live from Minnesota, where snow & highway construction are the only two seasons we have.
I had to special order cloth in my 06 Grand Prix, leather was standard in GXP's. I probably have only one with cloth.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
Nauga's have become a real nuisance in our area lately; them and the Turkey's. You can honk and keep nudging forward and they just won't get out of the roadway. Maybe we should start using them for seat covers again. Hoping Thanksgiving takes care of the Turkey problem.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I bet it's bonded, the same type of leather that belts and office chairs are made from. Maybe a step above vinyl. Definitely not Natuzzi-grade we're talkin' here.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I bet it's bonded, the same type of leather that belts and office chairs are made from. Maybe a step above vinyl. Definitely not Natuzzi-grade we're talkin' here.
What bonded is to leather... is like ply is to wood,

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Nauga's have become a real nuisance in our area lately; them and the Turkey's. You can honk and keep nudging forward and they just won't get out of the roadway. Maybe we should start using them for seat covers again. Hoping Thanksgiving takes care of the Turkey problem.
Neither is particularity attractive in the wild, but to be welcomed inside a home they both need to be stuffed. The turkey's seem to be drawn to ovens, whereas the nauga's prefer an avocado green shag carpet.
Nauga.jpg

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
Regal

I concur to that observation from SE Michigan, where we have only 3 seasons - 1) Potholes, 2) construction freaking everywhere and 3) snow. (Currently between 2 & 3 where we got snow this morning).
Leather is cold in the Winter and burning in the Summer. Not to mention they are louder than cloth seats when getting in and out of.

TricoatGS

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
I believe the flat sections of the seat are leather, once you get to bolsters or sides it is pleather.
I've actually heard opposite, usually in mainstream cars like ours the more contact areas are fake leather while the parts that aren't in contact much are real, that way the wear is not as fast.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Kinda defeats the purpose that way, doesn't it? Usually leather furniture is advertised as "leather everywhere your body touches" and then they use vinyl for the other parts. Why would you want leather if you're almost never going to come into contact with it?

LeeH

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Tour X Essence
There is an old test I use to determine if leather is leather. Push into the surface with your forefinger...if the area immediately surrounding the spot
where your finger is forcing the leather inwards wrinkles like skin (your arm for example), it is leather. If there is no wrinkling, it is faux leather. I think the leather (on areas that your touch when seated) is cowhide. Not the highest grade (supple) but tough enough to resist abuse as would be expected in a station wagon.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
This space for rent.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Kinda defeats the purpose that way, doesn't it? Usually leather furniture is advertised as "leather everywhere your body touches" and then they use vinyl for the other parts. Why would you want leather if you're almost never going to come into contact with it?
Good question..
04 Sierra Denali has thick, soft leather not pleather.
G8 GXP has thick leather, but it is not as soft as Denali's cowhide.... Kangaroo leather, or so they called it feels tough as nails.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Well GM brought back Harley Earl from the dead, that worked out well LMAO.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Most people have forgotten about it, but it seems that if the ad companies can't say something good about the current company it's time to.......
bring-out-your-dead.jpg
FCA did bring out the Dodge brother's. On leather seats for high volume vehicles it's who is the low-cost vendor that those decisions on what type of hides are supplied.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence

Yes the heated seats in my Forester heat up faster than the leather TourX, Lucky for me, as the HVAC on Subaru's is really weak, slow to heat or cool you. Heated steering wheel of the TourX, Aah nice. Buick has decent HVAC.

Pedal Commander