Is there any way to make the door handle you use to close the door on a '96 quieter?

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
It's very squeaky and kind of cheap sounding. Is there anything I can do about that?

A friction reducing compound that can be applied to reduce noise would work.

This is because I want to avoid recommending an easy quick fix which could discolor or ruin the thing. If you wanted to try cleaning it with an appropiate interior cleaner(owners manual) you can try that. may have a sticky-waxy coating from either smokers in the past or just dirt and build up.

Is that leather? A leather product could potentially help but I wont say try that since i dont know what it is made out of or how it will interact.

If it is leather, beeswax and heat would be inert as far as things go. But verify that before trying

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

VanWinkle

Buick Ownership
1996 Park Avenue

This is because I want to avoid recommending an easy quick fix which could discolor or ruin the thing. If you wanted to try cleaning it with an appropiate interior cleaner(owners manual) you can try that. may have a sticky-waxy coating from either smokers in the past or just dirt and build up.

Is that leather? A leather product could potentially help but I wont say try that since i dont know what it is made out of or how it will interact.

If it is leather, beeswax and heat would be inert as far as things go. But verify that before trying
I watched a video about removing the door panel on this car, and it looks like it's a molded metal sheet wrapped in leather. Don't know if that helps or not.

gxhn3z.png

Makes you wonder if it's the metal, the part that screws in, the leather, or all three.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
That style handle was used GM vehicles since the 70's maybe longer. When new the screws held a lot tighter and while it had some give it was minimal. As it got used and older it became loose and required occasional tightening that would last until it needed it again.

A stick type lubrication or even candle wax on the mating surfaces by the screw mount could quite it down along with tightening all the other surface mounts.

VanWinkle

Buick Ownership
1996 Park Avenue
That style handle was used GM vehicles since the 70's maybe longer. When new the screws held a lot tighter and while it had some give it was minimal. As it got used and older it became loose and required occasional tightening that would last until it needed it again.

A stick type lubrication or even candle wax on the mating surfaces by the screw mount could quite it down along with tightening all the other surface mounts.
Awesome, thank you!

VanWinkle

Buick Ownership
1996 Park Avenue
It isn't completely silent, but it's a lot better now!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)

you still have choices

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership

My first part of the suggestion still applies. if anything, more so :)
Friction reducing coatings, things like foam tape, cushions, etc.

I recommend this if you havent seen it, your door trim pad as a whole could be overall needing a little more retension elsehwere and according to Chuck pressing firmyl around the door speaker is the factory Identified way to help that. there are at least 2 other tips that are relevant to the door pad/ immediate IP, so worth a watch!

Last edited:

tb.dxb

Sustaining Member
Dubai/U.A.E.
Buick Ownership
1996 Park Avenue, Base (a.k.a. "Old Mistress")
I had the same issue with almost all plastic parts in the interior. Also rubbing with the leather seats.
I am using Silicone Spray for almost every such issue, not only with my cars but around the house as well. Using it for years with good results, no problems, seems to be safe with all kinds of material. Only drawback, it is liquid and takes a few minutes to dry, also has an oily smell for a few hours. Doesn't bother me, though.

silicone_spray.jpg

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners