• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Is this what I think it is?

djbos728

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 2014 Buick Regal Turbo
I've got a 2014 Regal Turbo, and a couple days ago it ran rough for a couple seconds after I started it but then it settled down and ran fine the rest of my drive. It didn't seem too bad the next day but idled rough a little bit. Yesterday it started running like absolute garbage and overheating and going through coolant. Are my fears most likely correct that it's probably a head gasket? Is there an easy way to know for sure?

djbos728

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Maybe it's not a head gasket. No milkshake oil or clean plug. One of the plugs was pretty oily though. I forgot to mention first there was also a P0300 random misfire CEL. Is there anything else I should check before I suck it up and pay the $120 diagnostic fee at the dealer to see if it's something covered by the powertrain waranty?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Oil on a spark plug indicates a worn valve guide seal or worn piston rings. As for the warranty on your 2014 Regal it's expired unless you bought an extended warranty.

djbos728

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
I brought it in to the dealership last night so we'll see what they find. It was blowing a lot of white smoke that smelled like coolant last night so who knows, it could still be a head gasket. As for the warranty, the CPO powertrain warranty is 6 years/100,000 miles, so I've still got about a year and a half and 25,000 miles left on it. I called the dealership before I brought it in and they said a head gasket would be covered on my warranty.

Henman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Sometimes a slight leak will cause overheating, rapid overheating very fast WITHOUT coolant loss as well other than coolant burping or spewing out of the overflow of the radiator or coolant reservoir due to creating exhaust gas pockets. I have received blasts of $h!t from customers complaining of high bills and nothing solved after being put on equipment AFTER somebody else not knowing what they were doing worked on it first. The very easy way to find a slight crack or head gasket leak is with the engine COLD remove the radiator cap, start engine and as quickly as possible place the transmissionin drive, apply brakes pressing pedal HARD and floor the gas pedal. IF you have a slight leak allowing exhaust to enter cooling system it will immediately send coolant erupting from the radiator with the cap removed! If a very slight leak, you will see fewer bubbles but a steady stream of them as long as engine is under full power and load
The cylinder combustion pressure exceedes coolant pressure and in these cases you won't burn coolant
but have an unexplained heating problem even though the radiator and thermostat are okay. Coolant can end up in oil as well if the gasket leaks close to an entry point of crankcase without burning coolant.