• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Joining the rear diff club

Map18TTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
For the past 4 weeks i have been getting a noticeable humming sound when driving from 60-75MPH. Only when you coast then feather the gas peddle to stay around that 60-75 mark.

I finally took it to a Chevy dealer near my new job. (no buick dealers around where i work)

To my surprise the mechanic heard the noise and confirmed the sound was coming from the rear diff. Speaking with the service writer they or the GM dealer tech-line didn't know how to fix it. Went to pick up the car and they tell me they are ordering a complete new rear diff assembly.

Tourx
White needles (build date 6/18)
23,399 miles.
I live in New Hampshire. heavy snow driving.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
For the past 4 weeks i have been getting a noticeable humming sound when driving from 60-75MPH. Only when you coast then feather the gas peddle to stay around that 60-75 mark.

I finally took it to a Chevy dealer near my new job. (no buick dealers around where i work)

To my surprise the mechanic heard the noise and confirmed the sound was coming from the rear diff. Speaking with the service writer they or the GM dealer tech-line didn't know how to fix it. Went to pick up the car and they tell me they are ordering a complete new rear diff assembly.

Tourx
23,399 miles.
No warning on the dash?

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Hmm, I feel like I have heard something similar around the same speed, and only when on the gas. Will have to see if I can reproduce it, I think there was a topic before that suggested it could be the noise reduction system.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence

Tourx
23,399 miles.
So you own the other TourX in NH? ;)

How many miles on yours? I've got 13K on mine, 8-18 build date & other than the snow tires is quiet at speed. Banks In Concord sells Buick also. Who was Chevy dealer did you bring it to? They seem to be treating you well.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X

Tourx
23,399 miles.
Are you saying that the Chevy Dealer is ordering the part and doing the repair under warranty?

I once spoke with my local Chevy dealer who told me that they could NOT do warranty work on the Buick. They could service, but not warranty work.

Who is right?

Map18TTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
So you own the other TourX in NH? ;)

How many miles on yours? I've got 13K on mine, 8-18 build date & other than the snow tires is quiet at speed. Banks In Concord sells Buick also. Who was Chevy dealer did you bring it to? They seem to be treating you well.

Amsbury Chevy.
23K miles.

Map18TTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
Are you saying that the Chevy Dealer is ordering the part and doing the repair under warranty?

I once spoke with my local Chevy dealer who told me that they could NOT do warranty work on the Buick. They could service, but not warranty work.

Who is right?

they had no problem with doing buick warranty work.
They already fixed my horn under warranty.

maybe yours just doesn't want to do the work.

Map18TTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
update #1.

the rear diff is already at the Dealer.. took about a week from order to delivery..

dropping the car off next week.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Raise It in the air and put it in drive. All 4 wheels will turn. A mechanics stethoscope will pinpoint the loacation.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Is this a lower-pitched droning type noise? Mine sounds like the drone of a prop bomber plane, just noticed it the first time today at highway speeds. Goes away with foot off the throttle.

This sound has been present since new on my car. It sounds like typical ‘turndown’ exhaust drone when the engine lugs in 8th at highway speed. Does not sound like a diff issue.

Speedrcer05

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx Essence
Is this a lower-pitched droning type noise? Mine sounds like the drone of a prop bomber plane, just noticed it the first time today at highway speeds. Goes away with foot off the throttle.

Mine has a similar issue. Notice it the most when I hit 60mph and hold it there. As soon as I let off the gas it goes away. My initial thought was it sounds like metal gears rotating in the absence of lubrication. During my next oil change the technician noticed the rear diff was leaking, so they replaced the seal.
I still notice the sound sometimes, but honestly since the weather has been warmer I haven't heard it as much.

768mph

Buick Ownership
Looking to purchase a Regal Tourx
Did you get the front side windows tinted?

Did you have trouble finding a tint shop that would do it (as it is illegal, unfortunately here in MI)?

I would like to do it on the Tourx but would really prefer all side windows tinted (I just think it looks better).

I had it done on a car back in 1985, and the shop never even warned me, and it was before Google. Got one ticket over the 12 years I had the car. It was a fix-it ticket, so I would not have to pay the fine, if I proved the offending tint was removed. I chose to pay the fine as it was cheaper than removing and then adding the tint back on. Point was, I was never pulled over because of the tint (and it was pretty dark tint), but was for something else, and he nailed me for it.
Yes I did. I've never had a problem getting tint shops to do it for me down in the Metro Detroit area.
This sound has been present since new on my car. It sounds like typical ‘turndown’ exhaust drone when the engine lugs in 8th at highway speed. Does not sound like a diff issue.
Mine has a similar issue. Notice it the most when I hit 60mph and hold it there. As soon as I let off the gas it goes away. My initial thought was it sounds like metal gears rotating in the absence of lubrication. During my next oil change the technician noticed the rear diff was leaking, so they replaced the seal.
I still notice the sound sometimes, but honestly since the weather has been warmer I haven't heard it as much.

An option to assist with the long wagon reverberating noises is to remove the spare tire and kit, lay down some sound deadener, and test drive it.
The spare tire wheel will “amplify “ road/tire/exhaust notes throughout the cabin.
I have had success with this in many vehicles.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
It’s even easier then.

My mistake, waiting on my tourx to be delivered.
My suggestion remains the same, sans spare tire.
yes, you are correct - there is space under the rear deck you can add sound insulation to. I have no complaints abt road noise on my 18 Essence. Biggest difference I found was tire noise switching between winter and summer sets.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!