Just Turned 53,000 and struts are shot???

lsintampa

Buick Ownership
Encore
Thread starter #1
2014 Encore touring model - bought it new. Love the car, but now that it has just passed it's 5 year warranty, we started to notice front suspension clunks. I saw many threads on this issue.

Took it to the dealer today and they wanted $1,400.00 to replace the front struts and bearings. Problem is what's going to be the next issue? With only 53K miles, I would expect more life out of a modern car. For now, we passed on the repair as we're thinking of a new car.

The Encore has everything we want - sans adaptive cruise control, and maybe a bit more cargo space. In looking at what is out there, the Mazda CX5 seems to be where we're headed. Too bad too because we really love the Encore, but when major stuff starts happening just over the 50K mileage mark, it makes you wonder what else if going to start wearing out.

If this happened while in warranty, the struts would have been covered and maybe we'd find out how durable the car really is. I think at this point it's best to cut our loses and move on to something other than GM.

Sad in Tampa :(

lsintampa

Buick Ownership
Encore
Thread starter #3
Not really. Been going to the same dealer since new - never had any reason to second guess them.

IMHO, the struts are OK, but the bearings are gone. Can produce the noise sitting still just by turning wheels full turn and back.

I looked to see how easily the struts could be reached (top side) and they are tucked under the body sill. Can't even imagine how one removes them.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
do yourself a favor and get a quote from a local Monroe shop

Buick Ownership
Encore
I like to replace my suspension very 50k miles.... And if you live in an area of rough roads - not unusual...

I purchase acdelco parts on amazon or at summitracing.com as they are heavily discounted - acdelco and oem are typically identical. Then I find a shop that will let me bring my own parts... e.g. one encore acdelco strut at summit racing is is $122.... Rear shocks are $58 each... They list different part number for your encore depending on whether it is awd or fwd.

For a hub assembly - Summit racing carries a timken for the encore - it is part number HA590444 . The price is $93.

Any order over $99 from summit racing has free shipping.

So total price for parts would be... $244 for struts and $93 for hub assembly - total of $337 for parts.. To add rear shocks would add $116.

I am digging into whether bilstein shocks/struts fit on the american encore - they are listed for the european version of it - the opel mokka.

Find an independent shop.... fix it and be happy.

If it helps at all - I have a consumer reports membership and see very high reliability for the buick encore.. Which influenced my decision to purchase one.

jeff

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
Encore
Thread starter #6
Hey Jeff,

Thanks, I rebuild older cars, so I know my way around them. The newer cars sort of freak me out a bit. You say "hub assembly", are you talking about the wheel hubs? I thought there were bearings on top of the front struts that also need to be replaced. So did you say hubs and mean to say bearings, or are you replacing hubs also?

Just looking for clarity.

Thanks,

Len

Buick Ownership
Encore
No complete assembly...

Sorry - I misread your original post - thought you needed a wheel bearing/hub too...

Look here -

Front Suspension for 2014 Buick Encore | GMPartsDirect.com

I assume you are looking for item #8 - "strut mount". this part is $19.67 per side. The part number is 95212727. Note that gm parts direct can have high shipping costs - so sometimes better to search on e-bay for this part number.

I have done struts before - you buy a spring compressor to get things apart - remove spring and misc stuff and upper "strut mount" from old strut and install onto new. Not too tough... look for a youtube how-to video for sonic, trax or encore - and all will be very similar - same GM platform.

Many tire stores do shocks & struts - and sometimes more reasonably priced.

On another side note - Summit racing lists bilstein shocks for the 2014 encore. :)

https://www.summitracing.com/search...and-struts?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

If you want to go low cost route - on the same page above they have gabriel struts for $68.99. :)

So if you go gabriel route and get the upper strut mount yourself - it is less than $100 per side....

But you need to get the bilsteins and then tell me how they work! ;-) Bilsteins typically corner really flat - taut but not harsh. I like 'em! Last a *long* time too...

jeff

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.