K&N typhoon cold air intake for 2011-13 Turbo and GS

Thread starter #1

statelaw09

Mid Michigan
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Was thinking about finally buying a ZZP intake the other day and happened to come across a K&N intake for the Regal (part no. 69-4532TTK). I had no idea K&N even made one, since I don't recall ever seeing anyone on here discuss it. Not sure if it's relatively new? It's the same price as the ZZP, but it has a heat shield around the cone, whereas I don't believe the ZZP does. I know there have been debates on here in the past as to whether the intake sucking up hot air makes a difference anyway due to the intercooler, but I suppose the heat shield can't hurt. Anyway, I ended up buying it and installed it today. The only problem with the K&N is that if you have a Turbo model, the alcohol sensor on the firewall is in the way and has to be moved over for the pipe to fit. ZZP has a bracket to relocate the sensor (shift it over to the left a couple inches), but the K&N does not. In fact, the directions make no reference to the alcohol sensor being in the way. Other than that, it looks good and is noticeably louder than my AEM dryflow cone filter on the stock intake tube. Wondering if anyone else has the K&N?

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
The performance charts aren't overly impressive. Power was the same or less below ~3500 RPM. I think the GM kit has at least a little more to offer, and better power gains.

Thread starter #7

statelaw09

Mid Michigan
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo
I'm curious if K&N's test car was stock or tuned? I would think that if the car wasn't tuned, there wouldn't be much increase in performance with the intake, as the computer would pull boost with extra air coming in.

MattyT

Buick Ownership
Buick
I just ordered one of these from autoanything.com, I used the discount code warm20 to get 20% off. It came to $207 shipped and also comes with a free recharge kit. Can't beat that price.

Jake Smith

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Was thinking about finally buying a ZZP intake the other day and happened to come across a K&N intake for the Regal (part no. 69-4532TTK). I had no idea K&N even made one, since I don't recall ever seeing anyone on here discuss it. Not sure if it's relatively new? It's the same price as the ZZP, but it has a heat shield around the cone, whereas I don't believe the ZZP does. I know there have been debates on here in the past as to whether the intake sucking up hot air makes a difference anyway due to the intercooler, but I suppose the heat shield can't hurt. Anyway, I ended up buying it and installed it today. The only problem with the K&N is that if you have a Turbo model, the alcohol sensor on the firewall is in the way and has to be moved over for the pipe to fit. ZZP has a bracket to relocate the sensor (shift it over to the left a couple inches), but the K&N does not. In fact, the directions make no reference to the alcohol sensor being in the way. Other than that, it looks good and is noticeably louder than my AEM dryflow cone filter on the stock intake tube. Wondering if anyone else has the K&N?
I got the same intake today, with flex fuel I understand I can move it. My stock air intake box top has a map sensor I'm thinking is part of the flex fuel system but I'm wondering what you did with that sensor? I got a 2011 2.0L Turbo CXL with Flex system

Thanks

Thread starter #14

statelaw09

Mid Michigan
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo
I believe I just zip-tied the sensor up out of the way, with the open end facing down just so water and other stuff won't collect in it. I think it's simply a barometric pressure sensor, so whether it's in the air cleaner box or just out in the open, it shouldn't really affect anything. It certainly hasn't thrown any codes or seem to affect driveability (other than the difference of having the CAI installed over the stock air cleaner box). Hope that helps.

sjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm curious if the heat shield on this intake will result in the air being sucked in through the fender well, like the stock set up - anybody know? Also, for those with the turbo model -- did this intake work with the positioning of the sensors? Thanks

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40
I'm curious if the heat shield on this intake will result in the air being sucked in through the fender well, like the stock set up - anybody know? Also, for those with the turbo model -- did this intake work with the positioning of the sensors? Thanks
It seals very well to the hood, and it's positioned directly over the factory hole.

My intake temps are only a few degrees over ambient when cruising with the K&N.

The intake utilizes the factory MAF tube and fits like stock. It was developed on a Regal turbo.

sjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
It seals very well to the hood, and it's positioned directly over the factory hole.

My intake temps are only a few degrees over ambient when cruising with the K&N.

The intake utilizes the factory MAF tube and fits like stock. It was developed on a Regal turbo.
considering that the K&N pulls air through the factory hole, that is very appealing. Any opinions on the report that K&N is made from two pipes welded together? Is this really a restriction or just a very critical user review?

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40
considering that the K&N pulls air through the factory hole, that is very appealing. Any opinions on the report that K&N is made from two pipes welded together? Is this really a restriction or just a very critical user review?
There is no restriction in the K&N design.. I read that review as well. My car runs a lot better with it.

With the stock air box, my car used to have inconsistent power.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.