K&N typhoon cold air intake for 2011-13 Turbo and GS

Ottawa, IL
Buick Ownership
13' Buick Regal GS
:D Are the injectors strictly for the 85?
any probs with the oil filler cap?
The red you see in the pictures are acutally Hi energy Coil packs from ZZPerformance. They are lifetime warranty and have had no issues with them, I have read of someone with a faulty one, but they quickly asked just for a picture of it destroyed and shipped out another free of charge. I deal with ZZP for my tunes and parts. My GS is getting alot of upgrades this spring. Should be around 420-450 whp so that's over 500+ at the crank on e85.

No injectors are needed if you have an LHU "2013"or LTG "2014+". Just a tune from Matt at ZZP. They def say to get the upgraded cams with the fuel lobes then you can really add power using e85.

The Oil cap fit in perfect, you just have to take off the fill spout by twisting along with the stock oil cap.

The oil breather is from ZZP also and it does require an updated tune from ZZP because it will give a code for a vaccum leak. Matt only needs a scan at idle and cruising at 30 mph and he will email a updated tune to be ablel to run the oil breather. It's suppose to help with access build of boost in the crank once you tune from 16 psi to 23 psi. They say a catch can is not needed yet at my current mods list. But after my upgrades this spring, I will have them install one along this the efr turbo, DP, FMI and stage 2 cams with fuel lobes for more agressive e85.

cino135

A Regular
Tampa FL
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS 3 stage pearl white, 20' OEM chrome
The red you see in the pictures are acutally Hi energy Coil packs from ZZPerformance. They are lifetime warranty and have had no issues with them, I have read of someone with a faulty one, but they quickly asked just for a picture of it destroyed and shipped out another free of charge. I deal with ZZP for my tunes and parts. My GS is getting alot of upgrades this spring. Should be around 420-450 whp so that's over 500+ at the crank on e85.

No injectors are needed if you have an LHU "2013"or LTG "2014+". Just a tune from Matt at ZZP. They def say to get the upgraded cams with the fuel lobes then you can really add power using e85.

The Oil cap fit in perfect, you just have to take off the fill spout by twisting along with the stock oil cap.

The oil breather is from ZZP also and it does require an updated tune from ZZP because it will give a code for a vaccum leak. Matt only needs a scan at idle and cruising at 30 mph and he will email a updated tune to be ablel to run the oil breather. It's suppose to help with access build of boost in the crank once you tune from 16 psi to 23 psi. They say a catch can is not needed yet at my current mods list. But after my upgrades this spring, I will have them install one along this the efr turbo, DP, FMI and stage 2 cams with fuel lobes for more agressive e85.
Thank you kindly for the informative response. You couldn't have answered my questions any more thoroughly! Ill certainly be following your posts as you continue to grow. Awesome.

Ottawa, IL
Buick Ownership
13' Buick Regal GS
Did you Notice louder turbo spool and blowoff noises? Cuz I def did, says we gained a lil HP/TQ but not enough to really notice. I was already tuned when i put on my K&N so maybe that is the reason why i noticed it. went from 16 psi of boost to 23psi.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Noticed it mentioned in the first post, year old now, but has anyone checked the intake air temp before and after the install?

This is more for curiosity than anything else; I was messing with my OBD monitor last night and had to sit at idle for a while and air temp was around 70 degrees with ambient give or take mid 40's. If something makes that worse, especially in a heat soaked car, I'd imagine a performance hit. Again "if".

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40
Noticed it mentioned in the first post, year old now, but has anyone checked the intake air temp before and after the install?

This is more for curiosity than anything else; I was messing with my OBD monitor last night and had to sit at idle for a while and air temp was around 70 degrees with ambient give or take mid 40's. If something makes that worse, especially in a heat soaked car, I'd imagine a performance hit. Again "if".
Intake air temp (IAT1), is not as important as intake air temp at manifold (IAT2). What everyone should be monitoring is IAT2. Now that's not to say IAT1 doesn't give you information... What it provides is the difference in temps coming from the intake to the temps at the intake manifold after the intercooler. This will give you a good idea how well your intercooling system is working. I've monitored both during a pull and cruising with the K&N intake, and there is usually only a 10-15 degree difference between the both temps (usually less during cruising), which shows for stock to slightly modified vehicles like mine, the factory intercooling system does a good job. I can imagine the stock intake to be much better. The K&N heat shield seals the filter up to the hood quite well.

Cliff8928

Buick Newbie
Long Grove, IL
Buick Ownership
2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4
I have a 2011 Buick Regal 2.0L Turbo CXL Flex. The only problems I'm having are the alcohol sensor (Flex) on the firewall is in the way and has to be moved over for the pipe to fit. ZZP has a bracket to relocate the sensor (shift it over to the left a couple inches), but the K&N does not. K&N 69-4532TTK the directions make no reference to the alcohol sensor being in the way. Also there is a map like sensor located next to MAF sensor and is in the top portion of stock airbox. I do not see a spot on this intake that it can go into.

Is there anything I can do? Please let me know soon.

Thanks!

Jacob Smith
I just recently purchased this intake at an extremely good discount (almost half price) for myself and had this same airbox mounted MAP sensor issue. I was in contact with the K&N support and they requested a picture of the VECI label and the VIN. The only problem is that I have a very mechanically identical Saab 9-5, but they won't see it that way.

Is there anyone with the 2011 Turbo who has this additional MAP sensor that would be willing to snap a picture of the VECI label that I could provide to K&N. A VIN would be helpful, but I could always get one from a for sale ad on Autotrader etc...

cman9-5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
For what it's worth, K&N just updated the intake to include a provision for the pressure sensor on the 2011 models. They're shipping me a new tube which I'll have next week.
Cliff,

Not sure if you're still active on here, but what was the outcome? I just ordered the same CAI for my 2011 Saab (Buick Regal) 9-5. I'll need to put the MAP sensor somewhere and I'm not afraid to modify the CAI if need be.

Cliff8928

Buick Newbie
Long Grove, IL
Buick Ownership
2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4
They did send me an updated tube with the provision for the sensor. Still have to relocate the fuel composition sensor and I still have to trim it down a bit so it has a little more clearance. Overall not horrible though.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.