Keeping the wiper blades off the windshield

Thread starter #1

Bevysbuick

Buick Ownership
Encore
My wife picked up 2018 back in October, and now that winter is upon us I was just curious if anybody had a solution for keeping the wipers in an upright position to prevent them from sticking to the windshield in the winter weather

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
o_O uhh, you can just lift the wiper blades up and its not on the windshield, thats what i do and my wifes car or you can go to any auto parts store and get a windshield cover and if it snows or ice it saves you the trouble from scraping ice or snow off your blades.

Thread starter #4

Bevysbuick

Buick Ownership
Encore
o_O uhh, you can just lift the wiper blades up and its not on the windshield, thats what i do and my wifes car or you can go to any auto parts store and get a windshield cover and if it snows or ice it saves you the trouble from scraping ice or snow off your blades.
Uhh, wrong!!
The wiper arms do not clear the hood when they are in the off position.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Prestone makes washer fluid that melts ice already, a hand sprayer bottle filled with it works well on the sides also. If equipped with remote start remember when shutting down to have the fan on high and defrost on.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Read the subject of the post, Buick Encore How-To's, so it's assuming that the post is related to a Encore.

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
o_O uhh, you can just lift the wiper blades up and its not on the windshield,
Might be true for a Regal but not an Encore, unfortunately. :( One of our few disappointments with the car. But it's because of the 26" wiper on the left side to accommodate the narrow but high windshield.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
Might be true for a Regal but not an Encore, unfortunately. :( One of our few disappointments with the car. But it's because of the 26" wiper on the left side to accommodate the narrow but high windshield.
That's why we got rid of the Encore for the wife and just trade it for a 18' Volvo XC90. That's the one thing that buick is falling behind from the other manufacturers. Granted I still have my 16' regal with only 9k but there will be a time I'll let it go by next fall. I have my M3 and that's driven more than the regal

Illinois
Buick Ownership
So the Encore and XC90 are the same in comparison, well I guess that just made a bunch of Encore owners happy LOL.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
So the Encore and XC90 are the same in comparison, well I guess that just made a bunch of Encore owners happy LOL.
The XC40 is the correct comparison to the encore buddy. The XC90 it's a more bigger, more leg room and head room I must say. More options than the Encore, Granted the price is up their but well worth the investment. 20k dollars more 👍🏻 with better features and to keep the wife happy, of course.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
The XC40 is the correct comparison to the encore buddy. The XC90 it's a more bigger, more leg room and head room I must say. More options than the Encore, Granted the price is up their but well worth the investment. 20k dollars more 👍🏻 with better features and to keep the wife happy, of course.
I love people like you, willing to take that initial hit on a car so that people like me get one later and save that extra $20k for something like retirement. ;)

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
..... but well worth the investment..... to keep the wife happy....
Buying a new car (or used) that you are going to use daily and put miles on is NEVER an investment.
It is a depreciating asset, with significant overhead costs (insurance, fuel, maintenance, repairs).

Unless you are somehow generating direct revenue from your automobile, then they are always value loss.
Intangible value such as "keeping the wife happy" are sometime incalculable. :)

Investments are something that have an have an "intended" appreciation in value.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
Buying a new car (or used) that you are going to use daily and put miles on is NEVER an investment.
It is a depreciating asset, with significant overhead costs (insurance, fuel, maintenance, repairs).

Unless you are somehow generating direct revenue from your automobile, then they are always value loss.
Intangible value such as "keeping the wife happy" are sometime incalculable. :)

Investments are something that have an have an "intended" appreciation in value.
I agree kevin, yes it does lose the appreciation of the vehicle if used alot of miles, but with her she's just like me. When we buy new cars we hardly put miles on them. for example for me with my 2016 regal GS i bought it in nov of 16 and now owning it for almost 3 yrs it only has 9k miles on the odo. and me investing $3k on paint protection inside and out it appreciate the value to other dealers when its about to get a trade value, example for BMW when i was trying to do a trade with my M3 but didn't go for it because i thought the number they gave me was to low under 30k. but yes especially with how the x90 is its great for her use.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
I love people like you, willing to take that initial hit on a car so that people like me get one later and save that extra $20k for something like retirement. ;)
Glad to help you out doc, Me being only 33 yrs old i've learn alot from the old folks of how to invest and deal and appreciate the value in cars and other auto makers. Granted the buick brand i've only got into it because of the how luxury it was and they never thought guys like myself in their 30's would never buy these sedans just only the aka (old people cars only) but i took the bullet and i'm proud of being a buick owner, the style is a cross bread to the Cadillac and interior like a BMW feel.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.