• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Key Broke off the fab/remote

Susan Savage

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Help! My key broke off the fab and I can't get it back into the key fab. Has this happened to anyone before and if it did, were you able to reinstall the key in the fab? :sad:

Attachments

douger

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
Help! My key broke off the fab and I can't get it back into the key fab. Has this happened to anyone before and if it did, were you able to reinstall the key in the fab? :sad:
The hinge is broken. There's no fix from a dealer other than to replace the fob.

I'd keep the key part, though. It'll unlock your car if you somehow lock your keys in.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Excessive trinkets (weight) on the key fob will cause that kink of problem. Lighten the load!!

douger

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
Mine opens in my pocket all the time. I'm just waiting for it to catch on something.

Detroit, USA
We're sorry to see this, Susan! We recognize that you're looking for the opinions of other owners, however, we'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf to facilitate the process of addressing this concerns. If you'd like our assistance, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Ashley R.
Buick Customer Care

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Wouldn’t even bother with it, I haven’t ever used it yet (going on 4 years). Just get regular door unlock key made and go “hide a key”. The key won’t start the car but it will even start with bad FOB battery if unit is placed in pocket.

If control stops working, goes bad then I’d look for complete replacement; that would be codes match and new key cut. Just what I’d do if mine.

Last edited:

G-840023

It happened to me as well but the metal literally snapped right off so I didn't even try to put it back on.

fatkatz

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Verano
My keyfob broke off at the bottom, I have a few keys on it but it's not heavy? I only have 41000 kms on the car? I have never had a fob break before? Dealership says not under warranty? I still have bumper to bumper warranty. I guess this isn't part of the car

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Not sure why that would be carried on a key ring, made so the opposite can be done and not jingle/jangled. Keep mine in separate key case, had one go through the wash even with no issues. Keys? Great to be retired...... it is an electronic proximity transmitter, oh well.

fatkatz

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Verano
Not sure why that would be carried on a key ring, made so the opposite can be done and not jingle/jangled. Keep mine in separate key case, had one go through the wash even with no issues. Keys? Great to be retired...... it is an electronic proximity transmitter, oh well.
Mine is not a proximity transmitter but a 5 key fob and the bottom slot broke off

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Thx on reply but don’t know what a 5 key FOB is, seriously. You mean such as an FOB with integral key and is used as a key ring for 5 additional keys?

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Lol roger that, it has 5 separate functions and switchblade key. No, that doesn’t seem like it would break; mine’s the same, so far OK.

Markgarland

Buick Ownership
2011 LaCrosse
I worry about this all the time with my key, and to the one that talked about not using the switchblade key, some of us do not have push to start and have to use that part.

G-84572

Have the same key as posted by fatkatz on 9/10- Bought this car in May of this year with 41K miles and now have had both my regular key and the spare break off in the same place as the original poster. I do not have any excessive weight on the keychain- only my house key.

Bhodi's Buick

Lake Michigan's South Shore
Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse 303 HP V6
When you wear skinny jeans....

( yeah, Im a slave to fashion )

that switch blade button always pops the key out in my pocket...

Just a matter time before it snaps.

Hopefully... pleated acid washed Mom jeans will come back into vogue so the key will have less pocket pressure and pop out as much.

Fashion Trends are cyclical in nature, so.. time will tell.

Pedal Commander