Key FOB Problems

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
Is it just me or does anyone else find the CSX key FOB to be the worst part of the Buick LaCrosse experience. The buttons are not recessed so I am often backing out of the garage to find that, sometime prior, the trunk release has been pressed unbeknownst to me while in my pocket. I can only imagine how many times the doors are being locked and unlocked while the car is parked in the garage. Or the trunk released while I am inside the grocery store shopping.

But, even worse, is how the mechanical door key keeps becoming extended while in my pocket. This even happens to my wife with the key FOB in her purse. I really am getting tired of becoming "stabbed" by the extended key and having to stand up in order to fish it out of my pants pocket.

mitch477

Buick Ownership
Buick
Havent Had Any Problems With Mine ,like Popping Trunks Or Locks Etc. But The Key Has Popped Out A Couple Of Times While In My Pocket..

jimbo56

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buffalo, NY
Buick Ownership
2010 Buick LaCrosse CSX
With the push button start, there is rarely use for the actual metal key. I'd love to be able to find a way to lock it in place better because I constantly get poked by the key. It tends to protrude quite a bit more than the other keys on my key ring. I've even considered just putting a piece of scotch tape on the fob to hold the key, but it would wear out quickly and look tacky.

mrlovingheart

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have had the same issue as HMTJ6821. Very unsettling when its raining or snowing and you find your trunk wide open as your leaving work.

vid53

Buick Ownership
Buick
The whole remote start concept of the car sucks.If you dont see your car when starting , forget it, because its not running. Also the 2 buttons you have to push to get 10 minutes and then again for another 10 minutes.
Most car starters are 20 minutes of run time and start from inside brick buildings.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
Is it just me or does anyone else find the CSX key FOB to be the worst part of the Buick LaCrosse experience. The buttons are not recessed so I am often backing out of the garage to find that, sometime prior, the trunk release has been pressed unbeknownst to me while in my pocket. I can only imagine how many times the doors are being locked and unlocked while the car is parked in the garage. Or the trunk released while I am inside the grocery store shopping.

But, even worse, is how the mechanical door key keeps becoming extended while in my pocket. This even happens to my wife with the key FOB in her purse. I really am getting tired of becoming "stabbed" by the extended key and having to stand up in order to fish it out of my pants pocket.

I haven't had any buttons get pressed accidentally while in my pocket as the buttons are quite flat and not easy to hit accidentally but I have had the physical key pop out many times. Slightly annoying, but I can live with it.

I have never had my trunk open accidentally.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
The whole remote start concept of the car sucks.If you dont see your car when starting , forget it, because its not running. Also the 2 buttons you have to push to get 10 minutes and then again for another 10 minutes.
Most car starters are 20 minutes of run time and start from inside brick buildings.

I'll admit I wouldn't mind maybe 15 minutes, but overall I can live with the 10. In this age of environmental friendliness, I can see why they made that choice. The fact that you can extend the time by an additional 10 minutes was a good idea.

Godzson

Aurora, IL
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah same here, at least once a month i end up popping the trunk without me knowing. Ive even taken off driving only to see my trunk door flapping down the road lol.
I dont like the key fob at all. The buttons are too close together and not soft so you have to actually pull the key out to know what buttons your pressing. I remember with my impala remote, i could press whatever button i needed while keeping the key in my pocket. Also the remote start is joke.

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
For those who responded that they have not experienced the key extending in their pocket or the trunk release unintended, do you by any chance NOT have additional keys on a key ring connected through the hole at the top of the key FOB? I am wondering if the additional keys are the source of the mechanical pressures that would be required to extend the key or activate one of the buttons.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I've been stabbed a few times by the key but I still like the compact design of the FOB (compared to the one for my Corvette, which has a separate big bulky key).

jimbo56

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buffalo, NY
Buick Ownership
2010 Buick LaCrosse CSX
For those cars with a push button start, a solution would be to make the metal key removable only manually. You would have to slide it out from the edge of the fob. They could eliminate the protruding button and the key could not pop up unintentionally. This was how it worked in my previous car.

In the ten months I've had the car I've used the metal key exactly ZERO times, but it's popped out of its hidden position a couple hundred times. Think there's a problem here? Certainly not a deal-breaker, but something that could easily be addressed by Buick's engineers.

tomschuler

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick La Crosse
The Key Has Popped Out A Lot While In My Pocket. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem???

Road Dog

Buick Ownership
Buick
program trunk over ride.engine running it will not open.like the older car remotes.simple fix for buick ?rd

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
There has been another thread on the mechanical key popping out of the key fob while in the pocket. The solution that I liked and implemented with success was to place a double side foam tape cut to shape in the slot on the side of the fob under the mechanical key.

When the key is pressed down into the slot it will stay there even when the raised button is pressed. Yet, still, when needed, it can be pried out of the slot. I have yet to have a need for the mechanical key and my pocket toys appreciate that it has been corralled.

pogster

Alberta
There has been another thread on the mechanical key popping out of the key fob while in the pocket. The solution that I liked and implemented with success was to place a double side foam tape cut to shape in the slot on the side of the fob under the mechanical key.

When the key is pressed down into the slot it will stay there even when the raised button is pressed. Yet, still, when needed, it can be pried out of the slot. I have yet to have a need for the mechanical key and my pocket toys appreciate that it has been corralled.

I had my key pop open only a couple of times but like yourself used the tape to hold it in. Considering how few times a key will get used the fob should have been designed with a flush release button.

tomschuler

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick La Crosse

Great idea!!! I'll try it. Thank you.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
Yep, the double-sided tape approach was recommended by one of the guys here and it works very well for me.

Barry

Palm Springs, CA.
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Mocha Steel Prem. pkg, chrome wheels HUD, 2013 Verano Turbo Mocha Bronze Metallic.
I had my key pop open only a couple of times but like yourself used the tape to hold it in. Considering how few times a key will get used the fob should have been designed with a flush release button.

Could you be specific on how you did the tape fix? What tape exactly, where did you get it, how applied.....sounds like a great idea.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!