Key fob/sensor issue

Dubv1980

Northern Virginia
Buick Ownership
2016 Verano Turbo
So here's the first real "problem" I have had with my Verano. This started last winter, and as the weather has turned chilly again, it has emerged again.
I'm having a problem with the Verano recognizing that the key fob is in the car. Initially, I assumed it was a battery issue, but the dealer said they never see the batteries go bad after less than a year, and the fact that it was doing it with BOTH my key fobs equally, seemed to exclude the battery as the problem.

I took the car in last week and they did a software update, and while it was at the dealer, it had no problems. But lo and behold, went out to the garage yesterday morning and...the car won't recognize the fob. As we all know it prompts you to place the fob in the transmitter pocket...but even then it usually takes a good minute or so for it to recognize it and let the car start. This never seems to be an issue when I leave work in the afternoon, when the car has been sitting out in the parking lot (even if its freezing), it only seems to be an issue in the morning, in cooler or cold weather, even though the car lives in the garage (albeit unheated) and the key fob obviously has been sitting in the warm house.

The Verano is under warranty, so I'll get the problem taken care of eventually I'm sure, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue, and if so (outside of the batteries) what ended up solving it? It might be helpful so I can point the service guys at the dealership in the right direction as they thought a software update would do the trick.

Chris

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I've never had a problem with my 2013.
And I've never been prompted by the car or told to put the FOB into the "Transmitter Pocket".
In fact my keys never have to leave my pockets and are usually in my left pocket, farthest from the console.

A couple of months ago, I did get a Key Fob Low Battery Warning.
It was consistent, and if I recall correctly it came up when shutting the car off, not turning it on.
After about 4 days and the warning not going away, I replaced the battery and the warning stopped.
The car never refused to recognize or "see" the FOB.

Keep on the dealership and make sure they get it fixed while under warranty.
Good Luck!!

verano1

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have had a similar problem occasionally with my 2012 Ford Taurus.
I read somewhere that sometimes there can be interference with the signal from other devices like cellphones, garage openers, or other nearby electrical equipment that act as transmitters. Try to think of other electrical equipment in the area that might do this and see if you can eliminate the issue.
Let us know if you find the reason. (There IS a reason for everything, we just have to find it!)

Carusja1

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Lacrosse
So here's the first real "problem" I have had with my Verano. This started last winter, and as the weather has turned chilly again, it has emerged again.
I'm having a problem with the Verano recognizing that the key fob is in the car. Initially, I assumed it was a battery issue, but the dealer said they never see the batteries go bad after less than a year, and the fact that it was doing it with BOTH my key fobs equally, seemed to exclude the battery as the problem.

I took the car in last week and they did a software update, and while it was at the dealer, it had no problems. But lo and behold, went out to the garage yesterday morning and...the car won't recognize the fob. As we all know it prompts you to place the fob in the transmitter pocket...but even then it usually takes a good minute or so for it to recognize it and let the car start. This never seems to be an issue when I leave work in the afternoon, when the car has been sitting out in the parking lot (even if its freezing), it only seems to be an issue in the morning, in cooler or cold weather, even though the car lives in the garage (albeit unheated) and the key fob obviously has been sitting in the warm house.

The Verano is under warranty, so I'll get the problem taken care of eventually I'm sure, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue, and if so (outside of the batteries) what ended up solving it? It might be helpful so I can point the service guys at the dealership in the right direction as they thought a software update would do the trick.

Chris
Hey Chris. , I have a 2012 Biick Lacrosse and my car battery died so I changed the battery snd not both my key fobs dont work in the car. Only in the fob holder will it start. So I'm assuming the remotes need to be reprogrammed some how. Not a lot of info out there. How did you make out with your issue when you were having that issue ?

Thanks , Jim

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.