Key Fob

FrogFan

Ft. Worth, TX
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
I had good luck with this place when buying remotes for my 2013. They had good technical support and made sure I ordered the correct one. In particular, if you have a "Passive Entry, Passive Start" (PEPS) system, you need to be careful to get the proper remote.

I don't have any interest in this company, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Good luck.

Human

Buick Ownership
Present: 2013 Lacrosse hybrid. Past: 1984 Century Custom (1992-96); 1977 Skylark coupe (1983-88).
A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of generic fobs off of eBay ($16 for the pair with free shipping) for my mom's 2013, which uses a physical key to start. My sister had one of them cut for the car and programmed it herself with simple instructions I had found online. She said she got it to work first try. I never did find out how much the locksmith charged her to cut the key but it couldn't have been much. I've still got the other fob (uncut and unprogrammed) in case either mom's LaCrosse or mine needs a replacement. I keep thinking I'll go ahead and have it cut to fit my 2013 LaCrosse since one of my fobs is showing considerable wear on the buttons and Mom now has three fobs for hers since she's found the missing one for which I had ordered the generic replacement. So far, it just hasn't been enough of a priority to get it done and besides, it could still be used with either car.

Last edited:

FrogFan

Ft. Worth, TX
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
My car is PEPS, and it has a physical key to open the door if necessary and to engage the system to configure a new fob. Since I was replacing a fob with worn out buttons, I just re-used the physical key on the old fob. It's easy to remove from the old fob and to attach it to the new one. You should be able to re-use your physical key and just toss the blank that comes with the replacement fob away.

I had to go through several iterations to get the right replacement fob. You can get "passive entry" fobs that won't work with "passive start" cars and vice-versa. Many of the online places aren't clear about that and I ended up buying a couple cheap replacements that didn't work with my car. The people I eventually bought from (see above) made sure I bought one that did both -- passive entry and passive start.

In the process of configuring a couple of the wrong fobs, my car now thinks I have 5 fobs configured when I really only have two. It turns out that 5 is the limit, so if I ever need to do it again, I'll have to go through an elaborate procedure to effectively delete one and replace it. I did some research, and that almost sounds like a job for a dealer.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!