Knocking sound in a cabin

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
I have 2014 Buick Encore for a bit longer than a month. Overall it is a very nice car, but some time ago I started to hear a sound in cabin. After a while, it become more and more distinctive. It is not laud, but very persistent at low speed so it is driving me crazy. I brought my car to the dealership but they did not find anything wrong, after close inspection of suspension and moving parts. Finally I inspected the bottom of the car by myself and found that the noise is likely to come from the black plastic cover at the lower end of the body. I believe they may not put enough glue on the factory or by some other reason, but it started to get apart at few places. When I push it hard, I can hear that sound. I wonder if anybody has the same problem, and if so where to fix it if dealers are so ignorant? Any advise would be appreciated.
Actually I did check ConsumerReport for this car before buying it and it clearly say the body hardware was a problem for 2013 model. But I did not pay much attention to it, and I was wrong! Please be aware of this potential problem if you're going to buy this car.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
"Finally I inspected the bottom of the car by myself and found that the noise is likely to come from the black plastic cover at the lower end of the body. I believe they may not put enough glue on the factory or by some other reason, but it started to get apart at few places. When I push it hard, I can hear that sound."

Photos please?

IMG_0365.jpg

This honeycomb strip?

rgt50wood

2014 White Encore Premium FWD
AlexusXIX.. I do not have a knocking sound but rather a rumbling sound. It sounds like something rumbling inside a plastic casing/box . The dealer did not find anything. So I will be taking things in my own hands an will dismantle the wheel well liners and add sound-deadener to them.
This will give me a chance to see if the noise comes from the wheel area or other places.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
08Bluesky, thanks for the picture. Yes a plastic strip on the left, but this is my guess only. I wonder how it is attached to the body. I will make another trip to dealer and ask specifically to tighten up this thing.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
I did not (yet) notice how that piece is connected. My guess is plastic rivets, will take another gander. (Wife’s car)

Love! Photos! - I just crawled all about one on the Dealer Lot taking photos when we were first considering it - then some more on the one we bought once home.

Not to many folks on this forum, but those that are like to share. Keep the posts coming.:thumpsup:

Detroit, USA
Hi alexusXIX,

I do apologize for the frustration caused by this sound in your recently purchased vehicle! I see in another post on this thread that you will be visiting the dealership again. Please keep us posted on the outcome. Our customer care department is not certified to provide technical advice; however, if the issue remains unresolved, we would be happy to discuss the issue further with your dealership. You are welcome to send a private message at any time with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership. Thank you!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

I have 2014 Buick Encore for a bit longer than a month. Overall it is a very nice car, but some time ago I started to hear a sound in cabin. After a while, it become more and more distinctive. It is not laud, but very persistent at low speed so it is driving me crazy. I brought my car to the dealership but they did not find anything wrong, after close inspection of suspension and moving parts. Finally I inspected the bottom of the car by myself and found that the noise is likely to come from the black plastic cover at the lower end of the body. I believe they may not put enough glue on the factory or by some other reason, but it started to get apart at few places. When I push it hard, I can hear that sound. I wonder if anybody has the same problem, and if so where to fix it if dealers are so ignorant? Any advise would be appreciated.
Actually I did check ConsumerReport for this car before buying it and it clearly say the body hardware was a problem for 2013 model. But I did not pay much attention to it, and I was wrong! Please be aware of this potential problem if you're going to buy this car.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
I went to another dealership today morning. They did not find anything either. Mechanic drived a car for a while with in a passenger seat. It knocked a few times, he said that it sound like a normal road noise to him. I started to believe my hearing is too sensitivity for modern GM cars ... it seems nobody can hear what I hear. I specifically asked him to check a plastic strip on the left and they tighten it up (though it is attached using plastic stitches so there is not much they can do). I'll contact Jessica through PM to see what GM can do in this situation, but it seems I'm stuck with this sound for a long time :sad:
My advise to prospective buyers of Buick Encore: if you're sensitivity to this kind of noises - do not buy this car!

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Well, it seems there are so many complaint to Buick customer service that they occupied all available storage and I cannot send PM to Jessica. So I'm posting it hear, anyway it is not a secret.
"Hi Jessica, I really appreciate your readiness to help. I just wanted to let you know that another dearlership did not identify the problem, you can see my post in the thread. The sound indeed is not laud, thanks to active noise cancellation. But somehow I distinctively hear it and others don't. I appreciate if you let me know what options I have, other than trading in this brand new car or suffer for many years to come."

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
alexusXIX - Where are you located?

Why not get a buddy to lay under the car (engine off - cold) and whap away with the palm of a hand at most everything he can locate and see what you hear.

Should be able to locate the offending item.???

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Thanks for the advise. Of course I'll see if I can do anything myself, but I don't have the skills. There are some honest mechanics around (I live in San Jose, CA) but I'm not sure if they can find anything. Most likely, I'll just wait while the noise become so laud or something fall apart that even dealership mechanics can hear or see it :headbang:

Detroit, USA
Well, it seems there are so many complaint to Buick customer service that they occupied all available storage and I cannot send PM to Jessica. So I'm posting it hear, anyway it is not a secret.
"Hi Jessica, I really appreciate your readiness to help. I just wanted to let you know that another dearlership did not identify the problem, you can see my post in the thread. The sound indeed is not laud, thanks to active noise cancellation. But somehow I distinctively hear it and others don't. I appreciate if you let me know what options I have, other than trading in this brand new car or suffer for many years to come."
Hey AlexusXIX,

Sorry about the inbox being full. You can send us a private message now. When you went to your second dealership, did you ride with the technician? We would like to contact your Buick dealership on Monday to gather some additional information. Please private message us when you get the chance. Be sure to include your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name.

Erica Tiffany (Assisting)
Buick Customer Care

rgt50wood

2014 White Encore Premium FWD
Alexus XIX... could this TBS be the solution to your problem ?

TSB Reference # PI0715

Description: GM: ENGINE RATTLE/KNOCK NOISE, LOOSE OR BROKEN FRONT CRANKSHAFT PULLEY BOLT AND/OR FLYWHEEL BOLTS. ALSO INCLUDED BUICK ENCORE, CHEVROLET SONIC, AND CHEVROLET TRAX. MODEL YEAR 2014. *JS UPDATED 09/30/2013 *JS

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
I have not noticed that in my 2014 Encore. Take it back to the dealer, get the service department manager. Show him what his mechanics were too stupid to find. My Dad drove Buicks all the years I was growing up. I bought one from the local dealer. The service was so bad, I went to the Chevrolet dealer and bought Chevys for 30 years. They have excellent service, the best I have ever found. Last year they bought out the Buick dealer, so I can now drive Buicks again !!

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
KSDeputy, thanks a lot for very useful info! Yes this TSB may be the case. I'm not surprised at all: in an effort to save money, the dealership recently got rid of all service advisors (except one) and the remaining one is too busy to look up for these TSB.
Jessica/Erica and Buick customer service, could you please don't contact dealership yet? I'll try to speak to service dept manager on Monday morning and give you an update later.

Gool

Buick Newbie
Buick
Exactly when does this knocking sound appear? When braking,
when taking off, when shifting gear, or is it completely random?

Turbo Buick Badge