Knocking sound in a cabin

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
I did have a talk with service manager today. He said the TSB reference #Pl0715 is irrelevant, because this is an idle engine noise and in my case the sound always come at low speed. I was trying to argue that the broken bolt can produce a noise at any time, but he completely dismissed it. But he agreed to set up an appointment for Wednesday, so I can take a ride with other technician to see if he can hear anything. He said he would be unable to do anything if two of his trained technicians can not reproduce the problem. It seems the Wednesday will be end-of-story: I'll report back the result, and I'm not optimistic.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Gool, thanks for asking. Sound appear at speed lower than 50 mph from time to time, when the car is moving. It is random, but happens more often on twisty roads or after I turn left. Some time it comes in combination with a few squeaks from front left wheel. It is very similar to plastic sound, as something dropped into the plastic box.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Finally the dealership takes the problem seriously, after I talked to service manager and he realized that the noise really bother me and I'll come after him big time up to the end. He assigned the most experienced technician, and after another ride and full day in a shop they concluded that the sound indeed and squeaks may come from a defective strut. They ordered the entire part, because it is too complex to repair in place. So it seems I have some chance to get it fixed, but let's see how it goes. Actually they also mentioned there were other Encore owners complaining about squeaks but my problem seems different from theirs.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
Good to see that they seem to have “found” something.

I see the Strut has a typical plastic “accordion cover” on it.... I recall how one of my former cars had one come loose and or be miss-aligned and would make some sounds when compressed.

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

Do keep us posted.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
Driving over the horrible roads around here, same thing started in mine yesterday. Sounds like it is on left side, behind driver's seat. Going to the dealer with it soon.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
KSDeputy, sorry about that. Yes it is exactly where my problem is. But I do not recall any terrible holes or bumps I drived through so far.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
That is good to know for this reason, when your problem is diagnosed mine is probably the same cause as it is located in the same place. I can tell the service manager what they did to fix your problem. Not to capitalize on your misery, but we are all in this together. One of the main reasons for this forum. Once the sound started in my Encore it happens every time I hit a bump, which around here means it makes the sound constantly. Thank you

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Actually, in my case the sound happens not for every bump. In fact, it happens when the car has more horizontal than vertical movement, especially after turning left. And it is really terrible on a sloppy road and low speed, when the road surface has some slope. Therefore, I suspect it may be still a strut failure but different part of it.
Anyway, the ordered part arrived to dealer and I'll update you on Tuesday about the outcome.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
Thank you. This started, on my last trip to town. The roads here are so bad from the winter freeze thaw cycle. Now it happens almost constantly and is driving me crazy. I plan on going to the dealer Tuesday. Mondays there are a nightmare. If they can't find it no one can, as they have great service and many techs. It is Ed Bozarth Chevrolet, Buick, GMC in Topeka, KS. I have been buying cars there for 35 years, even when it was a different dealership. I have developed personal friendships with many of the employees. When my salesman retired, I asked him which salesman had been there the longest, and we went to him. He is a decorated Vietnam war veteran and great guy. We bought 3 vehicles from them in 2013. A 2013 Malibu for my wife. A 2013 Encore, which I ultimately traded in for a 2014 Encore when they came out. I have a lot of faith in the dealership, I hope they can fix it. It was so loud I had to turn my hearing aids off. Even with them off, it is loud when you hit every bump. There are lots of bumps, so it is almost constant. Something must have come loose underneath the vehicle.

Detroit, USA
Hello KSDeputy,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern as well. We can definitely understand your frustration with a loud noise in your new vehicle. We are happy to hear that you have faith in your dealership to get your concern resolved. If any additional assistance is needed, you are welcome to send us a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage and involved dealership.

Thank you,

Andraya R. (assisting Jessica)
Buick Customer Care

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
Took my Encore to the dealership today. They drove it twice, on bumpy roads. All they heard was some items I bought at Walmart shifting around when they turned. They put it up on the rack, both the tech and service manager checked it over, could find nothing wrong, nothing loose, etc. When I left about a mile away it started making the noise again. I thought it might be the items from Walmart in the rear cargo area, so I did not take it back. About halfway home, the noise stopped just as it had started. This is an intermittent problem. I did notice a noise in the hinges of the rear door on the driver's side when I opened it. It made a kind of screeching sound. This is going to be a bear to find in my Encore as it does not happen all of the time. Driving over the same bumpy roads, quiet most of the time, then the noise starts and stops on it's own. When it starts it goes on for a few miles, then stops as strangely as it began. Something has to be loose somewhere, started a week ago driving over bumpy city streets. It just won't do it consistently enough to be diagnosed and fixed.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
KSDeputy, I'd recommend you to go back to the dealer and ask someone to ride with you for a longer time. This is their duty to fix the car!
Anyway, my own story is not over yet. Today, I left my car at the dealer for a day. Apparently, they replaced the strut. But doing that they somehow managed to break windshield!!! They explained that they had to remove wipers and they did have a trouble removing it, that's why they cracked window. Can somebody explain to me what wiper has to do with a strut?? Anyway I got a rental car and wasn't even able to verify if they fixed the original problem. The new windshield should come in a week or so, my only hope is that they won't break anything else replacing it :sad:

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
Ah… the Encore Windshield

IMG_0640.jpg

The very first car we chose was a Red unit that was to coming into a dealer…. The car arrived with a broken Windshield. They said they would have to replace it, taking a few weeks…. I ran off to a more local Dealer to take photos of what the “proper” GM windshield should look like – to be sure they replaced it with an OEM unit..

But that’s when we found the Coco Unit that we actually bought, backing out of the Red unit deal for we just weren’t comfortable with a "dealer replaced" Windshield on a brand new car.

Detroit, USA
Hi KSDeputy,

I understand the outcome of your situation is disheartening and I apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like to further discuss your situation, please feel free to send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name. We are more than happy to assist anyway that we can.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting)
Buick Customer Care

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
I got my car from the dealership today, with replaced strut and windshield. Drived it to work, and the good news I don't hear that sound anymore! It looks like the problem is fixed. And indeed it was all about a defective strut. As of now the car drives normally as it was before that terrible sound come up, with some smell from the new windshield (but I hope it will eventually dissipate). However noise isolation got a bit worse. I checked the windshield and it is original GM, probably they did not put it as hard as original. But I think I can get used to it, I just hope there will be no other problems especially with engine.

Detroit, USA
Hello alexusXIX,

Thank you for keeping us updated after your dealership visit. I am glad that they were able to replace the strut and windshield on your vehicle. If any additional questions or concerns arise, don't hesitate to send us a private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting)
Buick Customer Care

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
I have isolated my noise to either the rear door, or the driver's electric seat. I think it is the seat. Will wait until it starts doing it again, or the seat gets worse, and then take it back to the dealer. Before, after reading the comments on here I thought it was coming from outside the cabin. Now that they have checked everything outside, I am concentrating on the inside. Sometimes when I push back in the seat, it gives a little and makes a pop type sound.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!