Knocks hard twice in "R"

Thread starter #1

LouK

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
When I put my 1998 Buick Regal (3.8L) in Reverse to back up it make a hard, loud double-knock that sounds like it's coming from the Transmission area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Things that might make this noise:
Transmission mount
Subframe mounts
Engine movement, engine mount problems
Sticking brakes

There could be something inside the transmission which is causing this sound. Eliminating external possible areas first, these are mostly visual inspection, could be the route to start with.

Thread starter #3

LouK

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So, I'm impatient. I contacted an ASE Certified Mechanic who tells me that it could be one or more of 4 things; delayed torque converter engagement, reverse servo bands are stretched, vacuum modulator vault and/or low line pressure to reverse solenoid. All of which are located in the transmission. Does this sound like I'm in need of a tranny scan for fault codes?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Full trans scan probably would be a good direction but I'm not sure how much detail other than it would give a code, again we can't hear, feel or see the problem so it's best guesses from a brief description. The mechanic may have more experience in this description, but he also has it at 4 possible problems so until it's inspected it could be any of the inside problems.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.