LaCrosse EOL appears imminent

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Sad. From where I stand, it seems that the U.S. auto makers are behind the curve and unable to catch up to real-time consumer demand.

Closing down the plants that build sedans in order to focus on building trucks and SUVs is a reaction to the current (relatively) low fuel prices.
About the time they've accomplished this current shift in build-focus, gas prices will rise, as they inevitably do, and the demand for trucks/SUVs will tank.
And as usual, the 'big three' will be left scratching their heads and scrambling to catch up once again.

Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Sad. From where I stand, it seems that the U.S. auto makers are behind the curve and unable to catch up to real-time consumer demand.

Closing down the plants that build sedans in order to focus on building trucks and SUVs is a reaction to the current (relatively) low fuel prices.
About the time they've accomplished this current shift in build-focus, gas prices will rise, as they inevitably do, and the demand for trucks/SUVs will tank.
And as usual, the 'big three' will be left scratching their heads and scrambling to catch up once again.
I think Ford has the best safety net. With a big slice of the European market, the land of high gas prices (ask me about that, I'm British by birth and lived there for many years), they are not phasing out the Ford Focus, they're just not selling it in the US anymore. If the high gas prices come back to the US, so does the Ford Focus, ready-made and ready to sell - a cheap, economical, well known and quite well regarded little car. Strange question, on a related theme, but were gas prices the reason Ford brought the (British) Mk2 Cortina into the US for a while in the early '70s, or was it just an experiment?

As for Buick? Beginning of the end, I think. I don't see it as a "crossover" marque. If the market ever tanks for SUVs, and SUVs are all Buick makes, probably easier for GM to just draw a line through Buick than work out how to rebrand it. To my mind, Buick made beautiful, big, American sedans. And now, apparently, it no longer does. I'll hang on to my LaCrosse and look after for it as long as I can. I can't get excited about a Buick SUV.

But I don't think sedans are ever really coming back (except for those made by Hyundai, etc, which will linger as fleet cars). Modern Americans seem to love their trucks, SUVs, and crossovers. If gas prices go north, the simple challenge for automakers will be to make a big SUV with a more modest mpg. Maybe Ford are preempting this with their new Bronco and its small (2.0 liter?) turbo 4-banger.

All of which is by-the-by. "LaCrosse" is just a nameplate, soon to become obsolete. Today, I feel very, very sorry for communities like those in Oshawa, Ontario. Not a very Happy Christmas for those people.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
As I recall, Ford never sold the Mk2 Cortina here. It wouldn't have needed to with the Falcon (until 1970), the Pinto/Bobcat (Mercury) and the Maverick/Comet (Mercury) from 1970 to 1977, followed by the Granada/Monarch (Mercury) and Fairmont/Zephyr (Mercury) and the Mustang II (1974-1978). Perhaps Ford Canada sold the Cortina Mk2?

As for the decisions GM made today, I think some of it harks back to a dearth of advertising and not just on television. Web, social media, even lowly print ads are all viable avenues but GM hardly bothers anymore. We enthusiasts are a minority, even more so on a site like this that is devoted to one marque.

What sells? SUVs/CUVs and trucks, which are what are heavily advertised. Same with Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai etc.; they do not sell simply by word of mouth. I see some Buick FB and Twitter posts but those usually incite long-ago customers to reiterate what was wrong with their last Buick from 20-40 years ago and how they'll never, ever buy GM again.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
GM will making a retro SUV for the Buick lineup out of the Chinese manufacturering plant by evidence of this secret spy photo.

Olds-Wagon.jpg

Read the latest sales for all the automotive manufacturing this last year and each one has had a loss in the car sales, not just GM. Trying to make sense out the customer and automotive industry, don't bother LOL.

Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Not dragging the thread off topic. I was curious (as an aging Deadhead of sorts); Jerry Garcia famously bought a new Mk2 Cortina in California in the late '60s. But then he also had a Volvo P1800S (not sure if those were sold Stateside), before becoming a solid BMW guy for the rest of his life. Maybe he just liked Euro imports.

And to the best of anyone's knowledge he never, ever had a VW van...

Anyway, sorry for the thread intrusion.

FrogFan

Ft. Worth, TX
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
I've really enjoyed my LaCrosse. It's not ready for replacement yet, but it saddens me that, when it is, I won't be able to replace it with another one. I love the ride and comfort of a "full-size" sedan. I'm not interested in a truck or SUV (been there, done that, got the tee shirt).

What will be available when it's time to replace my LaCrosse? I'd love to see a modernized version of the muscle car sedan from the 60s and 70s..., but that looks pretty unlikely now.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
P1800S were sold in the US, but it was a Volvo which wasn't bad just it wasn't a real big market they had here. You would see a stray UK common sedan car every once in awhile, one guy in high school had one but how it got here who knows and that was the early 70's.

Anaduff

St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal (Awaiting transport)
Depressing, isn't it? I fear that in a few years, those of us that actually enjoy driving will be relegated to the back seat while the on-board AI deals with what it thinks is reality.

At the time I read about the future demise of the LaCross, I thought of all those who loved their Crown Victorias & were handed the keys to their new Focus upon trade-in.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Most of the former big Buick owners are gone for one reason or another, so it's time for GM not be holding on to a market that isn't ever going to return. I had a 73 Riviera that the hood alone had two zip codes, but it's other car manufacturer's also who are reducing their cost by not having as many selections.

Look at a car brochure from the 50's or the 60's and see how many variations of possible colors for interiors, exteriors and options on just one model. As Henry Ford once said "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black". Doesn't seem to far away from the current trends.

Hmmmm...wondering if I should be considering an Encore at all. It sounds as though the Buick brand name could be on the way out. If they drop the sedans, what happens if fuel prices go up and everyone runs away from SUVs? My proposed Encore could end up being a depreciating orphan.

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
Sad to see GM's big sedans like the LaCrosse and Impala going away, particularly since these are among the best cars I have ever owned. With the LaCrosse gone, and the Regal (German built - whatever) likely disappearing in a few short years as well, meaning, Buick will be limited to cross overs and SUVs, which I don't really want, provided Buick even sticks around for that long. Chevy will still have some sedans, and so will Cadillac, but I dunno. I would prefer to stay in the GM family, but looks as though I'll probably get my wife a new Volvo S60 when the time comes for that. Hopefully one made in South Carolina, and not China (blecchh).

Thread starter #15

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Hmmmm...wondering if I should be considering an Encore at all. It sounds as though the Buick brand name could be on the way out. If they drop the sedans, what happens if fuel prices go up and everyone runs away from SUVs? My proposed Encore could end up being a depreciating orphan.
Not 100% sure about depreciation at this point. Once the sedans stop rolling off, those who want them will be looking used market. The Buick SUVs ... probably not so much.

Buick has a following, as limited as it might be. I wouldn't panic quite yet.

If gas prices go up, many of the Buick sedans don't get much better than many SUVs so I would consider any upward tick in gas prices to be the final nail.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Just to add to this new global environment, Australia has taken more hits on auto makers pulling out then a former Chicago quaterback. So GM cutting a few car models, no surprise.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
And what a shame, probably will start a landslide on entire market. Hit the news big last night up in ME. I don't want a SUV or PU so may be our last LaCrosse or Buick.

Well, worry about things you have control over or can change, the rest..... Feel bad for all those employees and as always perfectly synced with holidays😖

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.