LaCrosse EOL appears imminent

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Well if brand loyalty is supposed to be a marketing tool, do you think that Mary Teresa Barra sits up at night reading any of these forums, LMAO. Buick CS has given up on even looking at this forum and therefore it's only what's going to keep GM making money, sorry to say.

Hey Buick CS you still out there? Knock, knock?

GM is a corporation, I'll probably stick with GM vehicles, not that they are better or worse than others, it's just that I have finally figured out how to service them if needed and I am to old to learn another mechanical & OS system LOL.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
Hmmmm...wondering if I should be considering an Encore at all. It sounds as though the Buick brand name could be on the way out. If they drop the sedans, what happens if fuel prices go up and everyone runs away from SUVs? My proposed Encore could end up being a depreciating orphan.
My 14 lacrosse does not get much better gas mileage than my 15 Enclave. So when it comes to gas mileage that is why Crossover Sales are better than the sedan. Not a big difference. I like the Lacrosse. The Enclave I like even more. Bigger everything. Both are Premium and equipped almost the same. So for me the gas milage is a none starter.

FrogFan

Ft. Worth, TX
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
My 14 lacrosse does not get much better gas mileage than my 15 Enclave. So when it comes to gas mileage that is why Crossover Sales are better than the sedan. Not a big difference. I like the Lacrosse. The Enclave I like even more. Bigger everything. Both are Premium and equipped almost the same. So for me the gas milage is a none starter.
For me, it's the ride quality that I enjoy most about the LaCrosse. It's quiet, smooth riding, and roomy, especially in the back seat. My experience with SUVs is that they ride more like a truck than a car, but I haven't driven an Enclave. If the ride quality is similar to a LaCrosse, maybe I'll give the Enclave a look when the time comes.

jalf

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2015
I read recently that GM was selling four times the number of LaCrosses annually in China compared to North America: 800,000 in Asia, 200,000 in U.S. and Canada. Wonder if GM will still make LaCrosses for the Asian market?

As an aside, when I bought my '15 LaCrosse at the Buick-GMC dealer, I quizzed the sales manager on how many GMCs he sold compared to Buicks. I guessed 3 to 1. He said it was more like 4 (GMCs) to 1 (Buick).

Thread starter #47

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I read recently that GM was selling four times the number of LaCrosses annually in China compared to North America: 800,000 in Asia, 200,000 in U.S. and Canada. Wonder if GM will still make LaCrosses for the Asian market?
I think that's total Buick sales, not just the LaCrosse. I think they move 20,000 LaCrosse in the USA, $60-70,000 in China.

Thread starter #48

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Great writeup. Clearly demonstrates what I've seen with New York and Vermont dealers - they're not even stocking many (any) sedans anymore. Stock of Buick suv/cuv are 10 to 1, maybe higher. And based on promotion prices I've seen, even on the 'popular' Buick Encore, they're not moving enough to justify the time/space. Fwiw, I don't know of a single Buick-only dealer. Nearly all are tied to another brand to survive. I know of several Chevy only dealers, one of them is huge and recently acquired a Ford dealership next door. Talk about 180 opposite growth trend, within GM's own nameplates.

I'm content with concluding this is likely the end of not just the LaCrosse and other Buick sedans, this likely signals the end of Buick altogether. Others have posted similar thoughts in the past years I've been a member here. They are/were right. Everything pointed toward this inevitability, and now those signs are becoming reality. Just comparing say an Impala to a LaCrosse, the differences are minor (if not negligible). I'd be fine with a V6 Impala. So what is Buick really offering that Chevy isn't?? Why wouldn't someone looking for 'entry level luxury' just get a lower end/base model Caddy?

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Wouldn't mind an Impala either but wasn't that another one they were looking to cancell, may of heard wrong?

No, not interested in Caddys or Lincolns either. The Buick's enough with gadgetry and creature comforts I'll never use at that level even. ME registration is through the roof for these things.

Last edited:

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm content with concluding this is likely the end of not just the LaCrosse and other Buick sedans, this likely signals the end of Buick altogether.
Well most Buicks are sold in China and Buick is a well-liked car there. So Buick will certainly continue in Asia.

Buick has been advertising aggressively in the US for years so I don't see GM abandoning the brand in the US at this point.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
fullsizeoutput_425c.jpeg
For me, it's the ride quality that I enjoy most about the LaCrosse. It's quiet, smooth riding, and roomy, especially in the back seat. My experience with SUVs is that they ride more like a truck than a car, but I haven't driven an Enclave. If the ride quality is similar to a LaCrosse, maybe I'll give the Enclave a look when the time comes.
The E has no SUV characteristics at all. The ride quality is smooth and quiet. The only thing that is better with the Lacrosse is the handling. I have owned big Caprices and Impalas. I you like big cars you will like the Enclave

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
Great writeup. Clearly demonstrates what I've seen with New York and Vermont dealers - they're not even stocking many (any) sedans anymore. Stock of Buick suv/cuv are 10 to 1, maybe higher. And based on promotion prices I've seen, even on the 'popular' Buick Encore, they're not moving enough to justify the time/space. Fwiw, I don't know of a single Buick-only dealer. Nearly all are tied to another brand to survive. I know of several Chevy only dealers, one of them is huge and recently acquired a Ford dealership next door. Talk about 180 opposite growth trend, within GM's own nameplates.

I'm content with concluding this is likely the end of not just the LaCrosse and other Buick sedans, this likely signals the end of Buick altogether. Others have posted similar thoughts in the past years I've been a member here. They are/were right. Everything pointed toward this inevitability, and now those signs are becoming reality. Just comparing say an Impala to a LaCrosse, the differences are minor (if not negligible). I'd be fine with a V6 Impala. So what is Buick really offering that Chevy isn't?? Why wouldn't someone looking for 'entry level luxury' just get a lower end/base model Caddy?
Lets face it the sedan s time has come and gone. I am a car guy. I don't like trucks Suvs. They have shrunk the sedan so much they can't fill our needs. I could put a family of 4 and everything we need for vacation in my old caprice and drive 12 hours with no problems. Try it in todays sedan. I like the Lacrosse For just me and the wife around town. But if I'm going to travel it will be in the Enclave.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
So what is Buick really offering that Chevy isn't?? Why wouldn't someone looking for 'entry level luxury' just get a lower end/base model Caddy?
Having test-driven a couple Encores and a Trax, I’d say that if GM drops Buick completely, they should get busy and incorporate the features of the Encore in the Trax: Specifically, the active noise reduction, sound insulation and upgraded suspension. Those areas could stand a lot of improvement in the Chevy, along with the general look & feel of the interior. Come to think of it, maybe they could just re-brand Encore as a Chevy.

Thread starter #57

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Having test-driven a couple Encores and a Trax, I’d say that if GM drops Buick completely, they should get busy and incorporate the features of the Encore in the Trax: Specifically, the active noise reduction, sound insulation and upgraded suspension. Those areas could stand a lot of improvement in the Chevy, along with the general look & feel of the interior. Come to think of it, maybe they could just re-brand Encore as a Chevy.
And the only reason the Chevy equivalent isn't as polished is because Buick exists, in order to attempt some degree of separation. Remove Buick and tighten up Chevy.

LaCruise

Buick Newbie
Salt Lake City
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium AWD
Lets face it the sedan s time has come and gone. I am a car guy. I don't like trucks Suvs. They have shrunk the sedan so much they can't fill our needs. I could put a family of 4 and everything we need for vacation in my old caprice and drive 12 hours with no problems. Try it in todays sedan. I like the Lacrosse For just me and the wife around town. But if I'm going to travel it will be in the Enclave.
The alleged death of sedans is just an excuse. Yes consumers are buying more crossovers and trucks, but they are also buying a lot of cars too, just not American cars. Toyota sold 100,000 more Camrys last year than the number one selling American crossover, the Chevy Equinox. The top selling crossover is the Nissan Rogue followed next by the RAV4 and CRV. And Hyundai continues to come on strong in both crossovers and cars. So the Asians now rule cars and crossovers. It’s only a matter of time before they take over pickups too and then what? Are we supposed to believe the American auto industry will be saved with electric and self driving cars? I don’t believe it. The truth is the American companies are still not competitive and it’s very sad to see where this is going. Like Australia, this country might not even have a domestic auto industry soon.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
Like Australia, this country might not even have a domestic auto industry soon.
I don't think it is quite so dire in the US. Ford has a pretty strong global footprint. GM has a better position after restructuring. Chrysler is Italian and maybe disappears.

1. Decades of terrible global trade agreements by US officials opened the doors to imports but largely prohibited exports have crippled US auto makers. Just look at simple trade imbalance stats (which of course finance the US war bonds of over $20T).

2. VWs dirty play has also helped them steal a lot of market share from US auto makers:

- DieselGate allowed VW to crush the competition in Europe for over two decades. As diesels represented about 50% of cars sold in Europe, VW's dirty diesels performed so well, the competition didn't have a chance.

- In the late 1990s, a former GM executive "SuperLopez" stole all the car and factory blueprints for GM's Global superstar compact sedan and sold them to VW. By combining GM & VW best practices, VW rose to become the largest global auto maker. Of course, SuperLopez and VW were found guilty and received a few slaps on the wrist (SuperLopez was involved in a seriously debilitating car accident).

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
Sorry I'm not going to buy none of that foreign junk. I have had a lot of American made cars. People won't buy because they are more expensive. They are because they use better parts and material. I bought my Enclave the same time a buddy bought some Datsun. We have same amount of miles he is on his third set of tires, I still have the original, with 7/30 seconds. Hyundai uses plastic screws. They are cheeper with great warranties that a lot of times they don't honor. They blame the owner. They are rust buckets. Gm uses much better brakes. Yes GM built junk for many years but have gotten much better. I have American loyalty. I grew up in a time when there were no Japanese cars on the road. My father being a WW 2 vette would not have that from me. You can agree or disagree. Thats alright. Im around a lot of different makes and models and have seen the difference.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.