LaCrosse EOL appears imminent

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Considering that Buick is basically rebadging cars not sure how much I consider Buick American made. I remember when the only foreign parts you would find on GM US cars came from Canada, which GM is also making very happy now, sorry Canada. If you start pulling up the skirt on most GM cars very few components are US made. Bodies and drive trains are about it, everything else is all outsourced to the lowest bidder which is more than likely outside the US, sucks but it is what it is.

The only thing that I don't agree or understand is on how a tire is a mark of a good quality car. If your buddy is on his 3rd set, then he's just buying the wrong tires LOL.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have American loyalty. I grew up in a time when there were no Japanese cars on the road. My father being a WW 2 vette would not have that from me. You can agree or disagree.
I've always been a 'Buy American' kind of guy too. Support American Industry and the American Worker! Sounds great.

Problem is that (as pointed out above) the American car you buy is chock-full of non-American parts. You cannot buy a car that is completely built in America anymore, so the 'Buy American' logic is unworkable.

And since many 'foreign' cars are built in the good ol' US of A, refusing to even consider buying one hurts the American workers employed by those companies.

Like it or not, the lines are a lot blurrier than they were in your father's time.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
The Enclave and Corvette that i own at the time they were built have the most U.S. manufactured part of any car built in the U.S. The profits from those non-U.S. companies Don't stay in the U.S. And as for the workers they under cut U.S. companies.

Thread starter #64

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I've never heard of this 'buy american' thing on a car forum before. Please do tell me more. :rolleyes:

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
I prefer buying American (meaning, GM) since I just like them better. I had a Saab once (which was a GM) and still have a Volvo, and have found that GM cars are just more durable and require less maintenance and expensive parts. Never owned a Japanese car, but having rented a Camry and a Sonata, I just don't get their appeal. They feel so cheap and junky to drive.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
I've never heard of this 'buy american' thing on a car forum before. Please do tell me more. :rolleyes:
For some people it could be a form of patriotism. That word is a bad word for a lot of people in this country any more. Baby Boomers were raised on it, Lived it. For me Loved it. Take from it what you will. You asked!!!

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Back when the earth was cooling and the dinasours died off there was a big push by the US automotive manufacturer's and workers to buy domestic vehicle only. This was to hold off the hoards of lesser quality automobiles coming from Japan, toss in a little WW2 and it didn't take much for it to be accepted. But as the drum was beating the big 3 were producing some of the biggest pieces of junk ever during the 70's. Well fast forward and all of those big 3 who were telling us to buy only American made have left the stage to find the best ROI from wherever that may be.

So reading something on line that says XYZ is more percentage then ABC is more American made, well it's sort of true until you read how the matrix is put together. As a example the timing chain cover on the Corvette, the cover is produced in the US, but the components on it like the wiring harness and electronics are not, so how much of the cost of the total cover is US or other, it's Bernie Madoff mathematics.

Now I'm a former Teamster, buy only American made name plates and know probably more than the average person about where and who makes what. I ran a QC inspection group on the Corvette covers, I had another on the stampings for Toyota, Ford 8 lug truck and Mustang hubs, etc. I am not a expert by any means, just there's a lot more detailed information other than what's on the misinformation highway LOL

And the only reason the Chevy equivalent isn't as polished is because Buick exists, in order to attempt some degree of separation. Remove Buick and tighten up Chevy.
As someone once said, the only two GM nameplates that are indispensable are Chevrolet and Cadillac. Chevy because it's the high volume brand and Cadillac because it's the most profitable.

The mystery to me is why they need GMC. Just about every one of their vehicles is a nearly-rebadged verson of something Chevy and Buick make. Example: Acadia competing with Traverse and Enclave, Trax vs. Encore, Equinox vs. Terrain. I think GMC is the brand they could afford to lose, and it would help the Buick brand name succeed.

In a way, GM is back in the same position it was in back in the '80s and '90s: Different divisions competing for the same customers with the same vehicles.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You are correct as it's a lot of crossover of vehicles between GMC and Chevy, but in the secondary markets it use to give Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick dealerships the ability to sell trucks if they weren't a Chevy dealer also. GMC was/is a little more upscale then Chevy and offers more options. Just ask a PO Suburban owner who couldn't get the larger engine that's in the GMC and Cadillac, GM marketing at its best LOL.

Thread starter #70

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Back when the earth was cooling and the dinasours died off there was a big push by the US automotive manufacturer's and workers to buy domestic vehicle only. This was to hold off the hoards of lesser quality automobiles coming from Japan, toss in a little WW2 and it didn't take much for it to be accepted. But as the drum was beating the big 3 were producing some of the biggest pieces of junk ever during the 70's. Well fast forward and all of those big 3 who were telling us to buy only American made have left the stage to find the best ROI from wherever that may be.
Do as I say, not as I do patriotism. Otherwise known as patriotism. :p

Thread starter #71

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
For some people it could be a form of patriotism. That word is a bad word for a lot of people in this country any more. Baby Boomers were raised on it, Lived it. For me Loved it. Take from it what you will. You asked!!!
The reason that word makes people (like me) cringe is how much has been wrapped into it which have nothing to do with being dutiful to one's country.

Don't be treasonous, treat your neighbor well, improve your local community (volunteer/donate, etc). How much more does that word need to be/mean? Being forced/told what car to buy and what song to stand for is more akin to communism than democracy. This country thrives on our freedoms, not indoctrination.

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
The reason that word makes people (like me) cringe is how much has been wrapped into it which have nothing to do with being dutiful to one's country.

Don't be treasonous, treat your neighbor well, improve your local community (volunteer/donate, etc). How much more does that word need to be/mean? Being forced/told what car to buy and what song to stand for is more akin to communism than democracy. This country thrives on our freedoms, not indoctrination.
Nobody told you what car to buy. Patriotism, love of country and everything about it. It is what it is, but a lot of people pick and choose when they want to be Patriotic. Free country, you can do what you like.

Thread starter #73
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Nobody told you what car to buy. Patriotism, love of country and everything about it. It is what it is, but a lot of people pick and choose when they want to be Patriotic. Free country, you can do what you like.
Sure, and I do. But why make any mention of it at all then? What is the point of buying american and telling others? If it's truly just a personal choice, then why broadcast it?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
So looking at the recent posts, the Buick Lucerne has now become a collector's car as it's the last full size made in America Buick. Because of the low sales numbers also makes it rare, WooHoo thanks for sharing these opinions and it's off to Barrett Jackson! LOL

Do or don't buy, it's a viewpoint. But it's one not shared by corporate America which at the end of day will decided that profit out ways all other concerns. In 1950s 90 TV manufacturer's were in the USA, by 1995 all were gone. Most of the ones listed as a US TV manufacturers today are no more than assembly plants or just repackaged facilities. So as GM and others pull the plug on plants along with the economy that is supported by those plants it's just how it is, so buying something that is or isn't doesn't mean it will change a corporations agendas.

But we do have the ability to voice a opinion, which at the end of day is what really counts.

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav
Question: So, with the Lacrosse going away, does it make sense to buy one now, before they're gone?

My '12 e-assist is at 85K miles. It's been a great car - the only problem was recently, one of the VVT solenoids failed, illuminated the MIL and set a code. I replaced them both for under $50, very easy repair right on top of the engine...maybe easier than changing a spark plug. Oh, and the OE 12V battery...and wiper blades...but that is it!

I really enjoy the comfort, smooth quiet ride and (suburban) 33MPG on regular gas. I have had 4 Cadillacs with Northstar V-8s in them; The Lacrosse e-assist is not a fast car, but it's more than adequate, and I think without an overabundance of power, it has prevented more than a few speeding tickets. I had not planned to change the car, in fact I was hoping they would offer a full hybrid some day. The 2018 or 2019 Lacrosse e-assist does not really offer anything that different or compelling vs. my '12.

I buy cars new and drive them 7-10 years...part of me says get an '18 or '19 now, while I can. Another part of me says why mess with what's working? I like the car I have, it has been problem free, I have taken good care of it, so just drive it 2-3 more years, or until something comes out that is new and exciting and really compelling. FWIW, our other car is a 2015 C-Max with ~ 20K miles. That car is actually really nice, too, and gets ~45MPG around town, but it is not as smooth and quiet and luxurious as the Lacrosse.

I don't think I have read any posts about people rushing to buy a Lacrosse while they are still available. I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I'm starting to lean toward keeping what I have...anyone have any thoughts they would like to proffer?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
As when the Lucerne went away there wasn't a stampede to get them, so it's safe to say that the Lacrosse will be the same. As there is not going to be a replacement other than moving to a SUV, I would be more inclined to look at what the trade in value would be as discontinued models often don't fair well, unless it was a highly desirable vehicle to begin with.

On the buying side it may be worth it as a dealer that has inventory on hand at the end of life cycle will be looking to move them, but it may be a limited selection on model options.

It's like trying to predict the stock market, but unlike the market you do have other options in manufacturer's, makes and models so a Buick is not the only choice. It gets to the economic part that is your decision on when and what to choose.

With all the mfg getting out of the car market I bet Volvo will see a few more new customers as people will decide to look what else is out there LOL. VW made the announcement that they will be all electronic by 2026, it's a moving target on what is a wise purchase and what will be a good value years from now. I wish you well on this going forward.

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav
Thanks. Good point about the trade in value - of my '12 now, and also my '18/'19 8-10 years from now. Kind of like the Mercury or the Pontiac (or the Merkur) I had back in the day, especially if Buick goes away completely.

I do favor GM cars when shopping, as I carry a GM Mastercard - I've accumulated over $3K toward a new GM vehicle over the last 7 years. The rebate credits do expire after 84 months, so every month I earn some new points, but lose some old ones.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.