LaCrosse EOL appears imminent

OldWhiteChevy

I do favor GM cars when shopping, as I carry a GM Mastercard - I've accumulated over $3K toward a new GM vehicle over the last 7 years. The rebate credits do expire after 84 months, so every month I earn some new points, but lose some old ones.
And not only that, Generous Motors periodically will drop an additional $2,000 bonus dollars in your lap, on top of the GM Card dollars you've already accumulated. Plus whatever rebates are available. That's what got me going on maybe buying a '18 Encore AWD last June -- the possibility of getting almost $8,500 off, not even counting my trade-in. It seemed like a no-brainer. But my Cruze still runs OK, and I like it pretty well except for winter driving. And then I hemmed and hawed about whether I really wanted an SUV.....

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I love my Lacrosse - it has a great combination of styling, space, comfort and handling. We (5) drive to Florida every summer and it is an excellent long distance runner.

I do not buy SUVs as they do not appeal to me aesthetically nor do most of them have anything to offer that my LaCrosse does not. The ride in the sedan is going to be better than an SUV and that is important to me as well.

Deep down inside I am actually a coupe guy but given family constraints I have to keep a sedan in the stable and see this requirement for at least a number of years.

I will not buy an import as I tried that once and it did not work out very well - lots of problems and headaches - the Buick has been running great at 8.5 years now!

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4L
As I recall, Ford never sold the Mk2 Cortina here. It wouldn't have needed to with the Falcon (until 1970), the Pinto/Bobcat (Mercury) and the Maverick/Comet (Mercury) from 1970 to 1977, followed by the Granada/Monarch (Mercury) and Fairmont/Zephyr (Mercury) and the Mustang II (1974-1978). Perhaps Ford Canada sold the Cortina Mk2?

As for the decisions GM made today, I think some of it harks back to a dearth of advertising and not just on television. Web, social media, even lowly print ads are all viable avenues but GM hardly bothers anymore. We enthusiasts are a minority, even more so on a site like this that is devoted to one marque.

What sells? SUVs/CUVs and trucks, which are what are heavily advertised. Same with Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai etc.; they do not sell simply by word of mouth. I see some Buick FB and Twitter posts but those usually incite long-ago customers to reiterate what was wrong with their last Buick from 20-40 years ago and how they'll never, ever buy GM again.
If the Ford Cortina is the little 4-door I saw at the dealers for a short while in about 1967, then Ford did market them here, as GM had the Opel in Buick dealers. Gas prices were about 33 cents/gallon then, so not many people were concerned about gas mileage. It got mentioned now and then in ad copy for "compact" cars -- but power and style were the big sellers.

And yes, GM is not advertising Buick much, and not well. Spots with silly upbeat music and somebody with an iPhone saying, "I don't see a Buick" are not generating the desire for Buicks in buyers. I don't recall the last time I saw a Regal TV ad. The LaCrosse one with that giant basketball player saying how roomy the car was (when it clearly wasn't, not for him), and the Verano ad with Manning was all about how connected to social media you'd be with a Verano? Pffft.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
When the American manufacturers dumped coupes and kept sedans, I got over it and started buying sedans. Maybe I'll get used to the idea of buying an ugly cross over or SUV. But man, are they ugly.
I agree, partly. The Encore looks like an athletic shoe; the Enclave (despite a lovely interior) like a pregnant whale. The Envision looks okay, but they're too new for me to think about.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
Question: So, with the Lacrosse going away, does it make sense to buy one now, before they're gone?

My '12 e-assist is at 85K miles. It's been a great car - the only problem was recently, one of the VVT solenoids failed, illuminated the MIL and set a code. I replaced them both for under $50, very easy repair right on top of the engine...maybe easier than changing a spark plug. Oh, and the OE 12V battery...and wiper blades...but that is it!

I really enjoy the comfort, smooth quiet ride and (suburban) 33MPG on regular gas. I have had 4 Cadillacs with Northstar V-8s in them; The Lacrosse e-assist is not a fast car, but it's more than adequate, and I think without an overabundance of power, it has prevented more than a few speeding tickets. I had not planned to change the car, in fact I was hoping they would offer a full hybrid some day. The 2018 or 2019 Lacrosse e-assist does not really offer anything that different or compelling vs. my '12.

I buy cars new and drive them 7-10 years...part of me says get an '18 or '19 now, while I can. Another part of me says why mess with what's working? I like the car I have, it has been problem free, I have taken good care of it, so just drive it 2-3 more years, or until something comes out that is new and exciting and really compelling. FWIW, our other car is a 2015 C-Max with ~ 20K miles. That car is actually really nice, too, and gets ~45MPG around town, but it is not as smooth and quiet and luxurious as the Lacrosse.

I don't think I have read any posts about people rushing to buy a Lacrosse while they are still available. I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I'm starting to lean toward keeping what I have...anyone have any thoughts they would like to proffer?
Much as I love my '11 Regal, I've been wanting to get into a bigger and more powerful car again. The new '17-'18 LaCrosse is a gorgeous beast. And in a year or so they'll be down to a reasonable used car price. But -- none, and I mean none, of the dealers within 150-200 miles of me have LaCrosses, or Regals for that matter, with light-colored interiors. One of the hottest, nastiest climates in America, and apparently idiots here want black interiors???!!!???

So for the moment, I'm hanging on to my Regal. If LaCrosses can't be found, I'll go Cadillac (though light-colored interiors are rare around here on those too).

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
But -- none, and I mean none, of the dealers within 150-200 miles of me have LaCrosses, or Regals for that matter, with light-colored interiors. One of the hottest, nastiest climates in America, and apparently idiots here want black interiors???!!!???
I hear that! I moved from New York to Vegas this year and a windshield sun shade is mandatory with the dark leather.

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
I hear that! I moved from New York to Vegas this year and a windshield sun shade is mandatory with the dark leather.
Not to mention that light colored (tan) interiors hide dirt better. Everything shows up on black carpet and plastic - especially sunscreen - which is really hard to remove.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The remote start can be used to cool the car also especially on those summer days when it's been parked outside at 95° getting cooked by the sun LOL.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
The remote start can be used to cool the car also especially on those summer days when it's been parked outside at 95° getting cooked by the sun LOL.
Yessir, I definitely partake. Still, 5-10 minutes of warmup and AC still doesn't solve the scorching seats after a day in the sun.

95? Pfft, I'd be so lucky May - Sept. :p June, July and August are usually 100+F here.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Not to mention that light colored (tan) interiors hide dirt better. Everything shows up on black carpet and plastic - especially sunscreen - which is really hard to remove.
I find keeping the lighter colors looking 'new' is harder over time though. Short term, I agree - dirt/dust/stuff appears easily on black, but it cleans well enough unlike the lighter colors which wear and stain (I had light interior in my prior Regal). The key for any leather is conditioner once or twice a year. /thread drift

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
I have owned the 14 Lacrosse Premium AWD for almost a year. I traded an Equinox LTZ for it. I also got tired of the SUV. Have always owned large rear drive sedans. I like the Lacrosse very much. I also own a 15 Enclave Premium AWD. I like it that much better. It has no SUV characteristics what so ever. To be truthful with you to me its as close to those large sedans that you can get. Smooth, Quiet ride. Lots of room, cargo space. Last year put 4000 miles on in the month of February, up and down the east coast to Fort Lauderdale and back. The E made it an easy drive. So don't be scared to go and drive an Enclave, you might like it.

Last edited:

OldWhiteChevy

And yes, GM is not advertising Buick much, and not well. Spots with silly upbeat music and somebody with an iPhone saying, "I don't see a Buick" are not generating the desire for Buicks in buyers. I don't recall the last time I saw a Regal TV ad.
SO true! Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why GM and Ford run so many ads for the vehicles that people would be buying anyway (Silverados, Explorers, Edges, etc.) and so few for the less popular models (sedans). It would seem that their advertising priorities are out of whack.

OldWhiteChevy

I find keeping the lighter colors looking 'new' is harder over time though. Short term, I agree - dirt/dust/stuff appears easily on black, but it cleans well enough unlike the lighter colors which wear and stain (I had light interior in my prior Regal). The key for any leather is conditioner once or twice a year. /thread drift
Agreed. My ideal interior would have gray on the central portions of the seat cushions and a dark gray or black on the bolsters, with a similar pattern repeated in the door trim. The upper dash needs to be dark colored, though...I once had a Malibu with an entirely gray dash, and on a sunny day it was a literal House of Reflections.

g_53239

Also, historically Buick tended to attract a more mature buyer, but their current body designs are not very friendly for seniors, not easy to enter if one is a bit mobility impaired or finds bending difficult. The long gone LeSabre worked much better for my father than his 2011 Lacerne or my 2017 LaCrosse. Buick's SUV/Crossovers were no better, still more difficult to enter than say, my Outback. I also miss the front bench seat. A real 6-pax car. But otherwise the LaCrosse is a great car. Good MPG and ride and plenty of pep. It will sneaks up to 90+ if I am not careful on the interstate, and my wife loves it.

Jebaril

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Base
Never owned a Buick until yesterday. I loved the previous LaCrosse; thought it was artistic. Drove the Regal aka Insignia a few times and loved it, especially the GS. But never got one. Some hail-damaged but new 2017s presented themselves at a dealership here (metro Denver) and I finally got a deal on a base model (1SV, I think it is) that was unloved and literally sat under a pine tree for over a year (they had to completely detail the engine bay due to pine needles and leaves). It still has its moderate hail damage but what a car! Beautiful, Cadillac-like feel and interior, that 3.6L engine. Mine’s black over neutral; I’m using it to drive Lyft. Lucky riders.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
The dealer should have repaired that hail damage. Their insurance would have covered it. I bought an 11 Equinox that was damaged by hail and repaired by dent wizard through the dealer. You could not tell

Jebaril

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Base
The dealer should have repaired that hail damage. Their insurance would have covered it. I bought an 11 Equinox that was damaged by hail and repaired by dent wizard through the dealer. You could not tell
I think so too, but they didn’t and they hadn’t (storm was in May 2017), so I waited for a good deal and got one. As a Lyft car, I don’t really care. The advice was to get a painted hood ($1450) and that would hide most of the damage (true; one of the managers had replaced his hood and it looked a lot better). For $1450, however, I’d rather add a sunroof =-)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.