• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Lane change alert mod?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Has anyone looked into modding this system to give an audible alert? On the way home tonight sun glare made it impossible to see the light in the mirror. Luckily I am in the habit of actually looking so I was good but I would like to know if I can tap into that light power source and just wire in a buzzer. Thoughts?

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
That's a good idea. We should suggest that as a modification. That should be an easy software add. All my other cars do that - I haven't had this one long enough to realize it doesn't.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
That would be nice, but it would have to be smart enough to buzz only when the mirror light flashes quickly. Otherwise it would buzz way too often.

Maybe something that detects that your directional is on AND the mirror warning light is lit simultaneously.?.

@Wlepse.. Of course this would only work if someone uses their blinker.....and in NJ, many don't! :LOL:

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
Maybe something that detects that your directional is on AND the mirror warning light is lit simultaneously.?.

That's how it has worked on my other cars.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
September 3, 2019

Buick Customer Assistance Center

P.O. Box 33136

Detroit, MI 48232-5136

Hello:

In July I purchased a slightly used 2018(.5) Buick TourX from Lindsay GMC Buick in Warrenton Virginia.

After my purchase I joined the Buick Owners Forum (Buickforums.com) and found there is an active community of TourX owners.

Recently, another member of that forum made a suggestion that I think is so good I wanted to pass it along to you. The TourX has a good feature called Lane Change Alert (as well as Side Blind Zone Alert). These are great features to help us avoid accidents. My fellow forum member (username Wlepse) pointed out that it would be very helpful to have an option for an audible alert in addition to the indicators that light up in the rear view mirrors. As he pointed out, sometimes the glare of the sun or other lights makes those hard to see. This seems like something that could be implemented as a software change that would not require any change to the hardware of the car.

I would like to formally request that change.

Thank you,

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I think mine only lights when I use the directionals. Do yours light all the time?

And yes, NJ does have a serious problem with people not using indicators. Half the time I feel like I am invisible as people cut me off. We definitely have more than our share of crappy drivers!

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I figure it's worth a shot.
Can't hurt. I wonder if they are more likely to do something if they get additional requests. In the interim I may look for a little buzzer I might be able to play with.

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I think mine only lights when I use the directionals. Do yours light all the time?
Mine (2019) light up solid when someone is there or approaching, and flash/blink when someone is there or approaching AND the blinker is on.

Edit: I'm assuming we're talking about the blind spot warning lights in the mirror, not the lanekeeping assist system.

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
It is certainly possible. The biggest issue you will run into is that the information needed to activate the buzzer doesn't exist in a way you could just tap into a wire with a buzzer and it would work. Modern cars are very digital.

The data is known for when the dashboard indicator light changes from green to orange to let you know you have left the lane. You could pair that information with a buzzer of sorts to make your notification.

It's more software than hardware :)

CapnPZazz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tourx Essence
Is there a way to change that bulb in the mirror ? My passenger side lane change alert bulb seems to have fallen out of whatever holds it in the spot to light up the little symbol on the mirror. I know it still works because I can faintly see it lighting the little lane change symbol, leading me to believe the lamp just fell out of whatever holds it in that spot. Hopefully someone can help. If not, I might have to schedule a warranty repair at the dreaded "stealership" UGH

CapnPZazz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tourx Essence
So not one person on this whole site knows about the lane change lights in the mirrors??

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Not sure what you are looking for; if someone modded the blind spot monitoring to have a beep or if you are referring to your question about the bulb location. If the later your previous post made it seem like the dealer visit was in your future. Or a simple Google image search will pull up pictures of the back, but realistically you could just pull it off yourself and look. Though I would recommend a dealer visit for this since I have had similar mirrors delaminate from removing them.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
The above step is what destroyed my Audi's electrochromatic mirror. The retention system is very tight and when you try to pull it off while holding the edges I think I separated the glass layers. If you don't go to a dealer I would recommend getting some trims tools so you can try to pry it out by pushing along the backside edge. But obviously you have to watch for wires so I would stick to the outer edge and feel around to make sure you don't pinch something and make it worse.

CapnPZazz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tourx Essence
Thanks everyone, those answers help with the problem. I’m thinking Wlepsie’s recommendation of having a dealer fix it is the best course of action.