Le “Tour de France”

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I watch the Tour de France, but not for the reason you may think. I’ve vacationed there a few times in the last 29 years. I could care less about the bicycles.
I watch for the following three reasons.

1. The BEAUTIFUL countryside and small villages. Note the lack of telephone poles, electric lines and buildings on those country roads.
Love it.

2. Being an old motorcyclist, (BMW and GoldWings) I love to see the motorcycles used that carry the guys televising from the passenger seat. I see a lot of BMW’s and Honda’s that we don’t get here.

3. I love watching the cars that carry spare bicycles, mechanics, medical personnel, etc. Because it has been a while since I visited, I see some cars that I no longer recognize. However I do see many Skoda’s, a sponsor of the event.
Now surprise surprise surprise.......
Just saw at least two Opal wagons (Buick Tour-X) plus’s other brand (BMW) wagons. Majority of cars though are Skoda.

I’ll continue watching, off and on, for the next two weeks, just to see what I’ll spot. May not recognize some of the cars. Whenever I visit, I always lease from Renault at www.RenaultUSA.com
My favorite French car was the Peugeot 607, which I understand has been superseded by the Peugeot 508.

lazinskm

Buick Ownership
Tourx
which teams had the opel? i was looking for a "station wagons" of the tour on the web; they have done them in the past but none this year to date. LOVE IT!

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
which teams had the opel? i was looking for a "station wagons" of the tour on the web; they have done them in the past but none this year to date. LOVE IT!
Was not paying attention to the teams, but the two Opals were a beautiful Blue. Will probably watch again today.

I guess I’m not really interested in the “race” itself is because I don’t understand the scoring.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
I watch the Tour for the cycling, but agree the countryside, villages, and historical sites are incredible. Sure makes me want to do one of the Tour de France bike tours where you get to ride the actual course.

There are a couple of different articles on the 2017 and 2018 team cars, but nothing on the 2019 team cars yet. I did notice either an Opel, but didn't catch the team. Typically the cars are Toyota, Mini, Mitsubishi, Ford, Volvo, Renault, Peugeot, Volkswagen and of course that perennial Tour de France favourite, Skoda. Though in 2017 and 2018 I believe Team Sky used Jags.

Scoring? The lowest accumulated time wears/wins the Yellow Jersey. Then there are the races within the race, Green Jersey (Sprinters), and Polka dot Jersey (Climbers) which are based on points assigned to the stage and/or spots within the stage. There are also the Team (top 3 riders each day) and Best Young Rider (Under 23) which are based on accumulated time. And lastly the Most Aggressive Rider which is voted on by the riders for each stage and the overall race.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Watched rhr.first hour or so of the 4th round. Pretty country side and small towns. Besides an Insignia spotting I was looking for Kawasaki Concours bit didnt see either.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Watched rhr.first hour or so of the 4th round. Pretty country side and small towns. Besides an Insignia spotting I was looking for Kawasaki Concours bit didnt see either.
In years past, it was easy to identify the Kawasaki Concours, but lately, the Sport Tourers have larger fairings and its hard for me to identify them. I think a saw a GoldWing or two.

BTW, the Skoda is a lot better looking than they were just a few years ago. I’m also surprised at all the wagons (not SUV) not only supporting the bikes, but also parked on the sides of the road.

Because my wife is not healthy , we have not visited France for the last ten years. 😢😩

Rickyzoom

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I also watch for the racing and scenery. Haven't seen any Opel wagons yet but there are at least 3 very interesting double front wheel Yamaha Nikan 3 wheel motorcycles.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I also watch for the racing and scenery. Haven't seen any Opel wagons yet but there are at least 3 very interesting double front wheel Yamaha Nikan 3 wheel motorcycles.
The Opals that I saw were both a sharp Blue/Cyan.

I saw those Yamaha 3 wheelers. Did not know what they were. I commented to my wife that they looked too wide to be mixed in with the racers. (But the cars are even wider).