• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Leak - Overhead Console

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Wow I have never seen that but did this car site on the lot for a while? Wonder if the sunroof drains got clogged.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Depends...if they parked it under a tree that drops a ton of crap it can plug the drains. Mine sat on the lot but there were no trees and so far so good. But in other cars I did have drain issues after 5+ years. Really is dependent on size of drains and what junk falls on the car.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Locate the sunroof drain hoses and carefully blow compressed air thru the line to clear out any debris inside of it.

dino-mite

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX, Enclave, Verano
This didn’t happen to me with my tour x but did happen with my 2008 Audi A6. Drain on one side got plugged and damaged the entire overhead liner. They put out a recall thankfully so didn’t pay a dime. But yes it can certainly happen if it gets plugged.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
You might want to see if the dealer covers it. I also had this issue on an Audi but back then some had tried using compressed air and popped the lines off the sunroof pan...so if you try compressed air drop the air pressure way down on your regulator and control it there rather than the trigger.

DANJ

I had a leak a couple of weeks ago, pano roof and water dripped down from the roof control panel - seems like less than an ounce sloshing around and dripping as the car moved and slowed. We've had plenty of heavy rains in NJ this year, but somehow this was the only one that caused a leak. I have rarely opened my sunroof, and have a roof rack on so not opening it lately.
I did notice one time after opening and closing my roof that one of the seals folded on one edge and left a very small gap, but I've flattened that out so there were no visible gaps when I got the leak.
I did not bring it to the dealer, and will mention it on my upcoming oil change.
If the roof is closed and well sealed, how does debris get into the drain lines?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Debris can get into the sunroof drain lines when the sunroof is left open because it collects in the channels.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Just take it into the dealer. I've seen water leaks like this from the sunroof, sunroof drain, and windshield. It likely wont be something you can just sit around and wait on, unless the service department happens to have no work in the shop. If its a clogged sunroof drain, that will be the quickest fix. Some dealers will even just blow out the drains and send you on your way just to get you out of there without doing a LEGIT water test. That usually has the customer back in the service department with the same leak.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
You're probably fine. My Audi has had a leak on and off for years and the switches are ok. My leak seems to happen randomly, I think one drain is slightly obstructed and depending on how hard it rains and which drain is the lowest it overflows. Doesn't happen enough for me to remember what orientation it was in the last time to narrow it down. And running warm soapy water into each corner does drain appropriately.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I had a Honda Accord years ago where one drain hose was kinked.

That and other problems. (Per dealer; Honda’s don’t have problems!). Have not owned a Honda since.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Common problem in BMW 5-series wagons for a while - my 2006 at least. Except the overflow would go toward the back, pour down over your fuse panel onto the battery, then overflow to the spare tire area where they thoughtfully stored electronics modules for parking sensors, liftgate, and a few other things. Enough water builds up, blows modules, thou$ands to repair, not a warrantee issue.

So far no issues with the big glasshole in my TourX, hoping it stays that way.

Kygoat

Buick Ownership
TourX
Dealer found no clogs or damage to the sunroof. Replaced nothing. Waiting to see if it happens again. Fair process I guess.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Dealer found no clogs or damage to the sunroof. Replaced nothing. Waiting to see if it happens again. Fair process I guess.
did they actually do a water test? the windshield can also cause a leak like that. it just really seems like they half ass looked. If i don't see my tech put the customers vehicle in the shower bay, I make sure it goes in. i personally take water leaks more seriously. A water leak that doesn't get caught, creates more damage in the long run, making my customer more upset and making my job more difficult. It can even be a body seam leaking. while its not common for the windshield and body seams to leak, I've seen it happen a handful of times in the years I've been writing service. It sounds like they didnt even drop the front headliner to look for water spots. A lot of the time when you remove covers, panels and headliner, in the area of concern, you can actually see dried spots coming from the point of entry. Sorry, it just gets under my skin when i see or hear about another service center half assing things.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Jordansilvernail...what dealership do you work at? If that is your approach to customer concerns you are someone I would like to deal with if possible. Hopefully I don't have such issues but good to know what resources are available.

G-596672

did they actually do a water test? the windshield can also cause a leak like that. it just really seems like they half ass looked. If i don't see my tech put the customers vehicle in the shower bay, I make sure it goes in. i personally take water leaks more seriously. A water leak that doesn't get caught, creates more damage in the long run, making my customer more upset and making my job more difficult. It can even be a body seam leaking. while its not common for the windshield and body seams to leak, I've seen it happen a handful of times in the years I've been writing service. It sounds like they didnt even drop the front headliner to look for water spots. A lot of the time when you remove covers, panels and headliner, in the area of concern, you can actually see dried spots coming from the point of entry. Sorry, it just gets under my skin when i see or hear about another service center half assing things.
Sorry, should've provided more dealer troubleshooting details. Yes, water test, multiple times in the car wash and it rained hard after that while sitting in the parking lot.. Also dropped the Overhead Console and inspected. No leakage. Strange considering how much was leaking in. Happy with the dealer so far.