LED Backup and Turn signal Bulbs

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Anyone change out the reverse /backup lights or rear turn signal lamps in the 18's yet?

Was looking at those two since it will be the only ones not LED in the GS at least.

XtraPerformance

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
The backup lights should be able to be replaced with LEDs with no problems. You will likely need resistors for the turn signals.

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
The backup lights should be able to be replaced with LEDs with no problems. You will likely need resistors for the turn signals.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Debating whether to change them or not. Backup lights for sure though.

Morgs1969

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I would be more interested in changing the signals to amber color. Though that would require importing a European or Australian light assembly.

6:45
Same here. Gm should have kept the European taillights for the American market. I prefer Amber turn signals in back. Much better for visablity.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
Here's some interesting information about rear lighting requirements. It's not in legalese. While amber turn signals are legal in the US, we have a minimum size requirement that the rest of the world doesn't have. So it's possible that imported taillights with amber turns might not be US legal.

Turn signals — amber or red? Yes, it matters

KITT222

Buick Ownership
None at the moment (shopping for Regals)
Couldn't you simply replace the bulbs with yellow LEDs and then have yellowish/orangish turn signals?
You could, but you would have amber brakes lights too. US cars have brake/turn bulbs as the same one. Euro cars have the brake lamp integrated into the L-shaped strip.

Attachments

TricoatGS

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Anyone know how to access the reverse lights? I tired to check last weekend, took the little piece off but that didnt expose the bulb. Does the whole liftgate peice have to come off?

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Through the two peices that can be removed ? I didnt see the bulb. The bulb is more to the side. I'd have to check again.
Sorry, just take off the two plastic panels and you can see the plastic screw ins holding the taillight assembly to the liftgate. Once that's off, you can access the reverse lamps. Make sure you're holding the tail lamp when you unscrew it from the car.

TricoatGS

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Sorry, just take off the two plastic panels and you can see the plastic screw ins holding the taillight assembly to the liftgate. Once that's off, you can access the reverse lamps. Make sure you're holding the tail lamp when you unscrew it from the car.
Ahhh okay thank you sir, gonna order some LED reverse lights tomorrow. Will update if I have any issues.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
In other German-made cars I've had, there was often the existence of rear fog lamp wiring although it was not used. In my R32 VW all I had to do for the fronts was add the euro switch and the rears were wired, just had to open the plugged hole and put in a bulb holder.
Anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2018's? I'd be happy to research these things and post the results. Also looking to see if the harness for the LED headlamps are the same as the non-LED so LED units could be retrofitted as used ones come on the market.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
In other German-made cars I've had, there was often the existence of rear fog lamp wiring although it was not used. In my R32 VW all I had to do for the fronts was add the euro switch and the rears were wired, just had to open the plugged hole and put in a bulb holder.
Anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2018's? I'd be happy to research these things and post the results. Also looking to see if the harness for the LED headlamps are the same as the non-LED so LED units could be retrofitted as used ones come on the market.
In for more details here. I’ve verified there is a slot for the bulb in the tail lamp. I didn’t see any wiring, though. I’ve also seen a picture of how the headlamp switch differs when you have a rear fog option, but have not been able to surface a part number for it.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The part number is the easy part- the wiring diagram is proving hard to find. Even my usual place to buy official repair info doesn't yet have it for this car. There very well could be the wires all in the existing harness...
I also wish GM wouldn't make the front fogs have to be switched on every time instead of just staying in the selected on/off position after a key cycle. My Camaro does the same thing- I have to switch them on every single time. I'm also trying to find a list of all the bulbs in the car, but can't find any two sources that agree with each other. I've seen four different light bulbs listed just for the headlight low beams... after looking in there, I think they are H7's. Low beams are easy to swap- high beams require taking the entire headlamp out, which means pulling the whole front bumper cover. Ugh...

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
The part number is the easy part- the wiring diagram is proving hard to find. Even my usual place to buy official repair info doesn't yet have it for this car. There very well could be the wires all in the existing harness...
I also wish GM wouldn't make the front fogs have to be switched on every time instead of just staying in the selected on/off position after a key cycle. My Camaro does the same thing- I have to switch them on every single time. I'm also trying to find a list of all the bulbs in the car, but can't find any two sources that agree with each other. I've seen four different light bulbs listed just for the headlight low beams... after looking in there, I think they are H7's. Low beams are easy to swap- high beams require taking the entire headlamp out, which means pulling the whole front bumper cover. Ugh...
Then what's the part # for the headlamp switch with front and rear fog buttons? ;-)

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
go to a parts retailer site in any home market and you can even see the diagrams for the part numbers, just like we have in the US market. GM provides that info- like what you'd see at gmpartsdirect.com etc.
Hate to disagree, but it’s not that easy. The model is too new. Everything hits pre-2017 Insignia cars.

I’ve tried nearly every European market for diagrams and it’s scarce.

I also have done rear fog upgrades in Volkswagens. At least with them you can use ETKA to reference anything you want.