LED fog lamps for 2018 TourX

WCMEDiA

Grand Rapids, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Preferred build 1/18
I thought I'd get "all" LED lamps with the Driver Confidence Package option on my 2018 TourX. But the fog lamps are just standard GM bulbs. Found a replacement set of true LED fog lamps on Amazon that go in quickly and look great. I picked bright yellow, but they are also available in blue and clear. Select size option "H16 H11 H8"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9S49GP

LED fog lamps for TourX.png

Last edited:

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
@FavaBean also posted some LED fogs that can be switched between yellow and white on the 2018+ All Things Accessories thread. The yellow is sweet and the white actually matches the temperature of the LED headlights and DRLs!

Jump to his post with pictures here.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@WCMEDiA - I do like that your linked product has a front facing LED. The ones I posted have the LEDs facing out to the sides (only) and therefore rely solely on reflection.

Has anyone noticed that their fog light lenses are NOT actually centered in the bumper's hole?

WCMEDiA

Grand Rapids, MI
Buick Ownership
@WCMEDiA - I do like that your linked product has a front facing LED. The ones I posted have the LEDs facing out to the sides (only) and therefore rely solely on reflection.

Has anyone noticed that their fog light lenses are NOT actually centered in the bumper's hole?
I specifically looked for LED lamps that were front facing and had an actual lens. Although the lamps do set in the reflector housing at an odd angle, it didn't seem to affect performance. If anything I think it works better! I used this same brand in replacing the fogs on our Honda pilot with great results.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Got any pics from inside? Wondering how noticeable the yellow is from the drivers seat.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I thought I'd get "all" LED lamps with the Driver Confidence Package option on my 2018 TourX. But the fog lamps are just standard GM bulbs. Found a replacement set of true LED fog lamps on Amazon that go in quickly and look great. I picked bright yellow, but they are also available in blue and clear. Select size option "H16 H11 H8"

View attachment 14869
Are these brighter than OEM bulbs?
Are they difficult to install. Access to housing?
How well do they fit?
Are modifications to socket/ wiring involved.

Thanks

WCMEDiA

Grand Rapids, MI
Buick Ownership
Are these brighter than OEM bulbs?
Are they difficult to install. Access to housing?
How well do they fit?
Are modifications to socket/ wiring involved.

Thanks
1. LED's are cleaner and brighter for sure.
2. VERY easy to install. Kneel next to the fog lamp, reach under and toward the back of the lamp while looking at the front of the fog light fixture. Grab the lamp base and if you want, wiggle it to make sure you've got the right thing. Then turn the whole connector and lamp base counter clockwise. It will then come out/down to almost below the bottom of the body. Use a small flat head screw driver to release the plastic lock connector on the lamp base. Remove the OEM lamp, then push on the new LED lamp base. Reach back in with the connected LED lamp in hand to find the hole in the reflector housing while looking at the front of the fog lamp housing. Push into the hole and wiggle to seat it then turn clockwise a quarter turn to lock in place....sahzam!
3. They fit exactly like the OEM lamps.
4. ZERO modifications needed.
Remember avoid touching the lamp itself with your fingers. Skin oils will create hot spots and may cause premature failure.

Last edited:

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Ordered and hope to have it done as soon as bulbs arrive. I literally only use the fogs when there’s....well...fog. Yellow is the only way to go. Now I’m now wondering how to get a rear fog light retrofitted - hmmmmmm

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Now I’m now wondering how to get a rear fog light retrofitted - hmmmmmm
Working on it. I found the correct housing for the D/S inner tail light and the headlamp switch with rear fog button. But since none of it is wired in our cars, that will be the hurdle to keep a factory look.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Working on it. I found the correct housing for the D/S inner tail light and the headlamp switch with rear fog button. But since none of it is wired in our cars, that will be the hurdle to keep a factory look.
I’ve been following the other post about this...I was able to code it in on my last BMW - literally everything was captive including the bulb (which is also used for emergency braking). A quick mod of the existing switch and 15 minutes later I was in business. I wish it were that easy here - thanks for taking it on.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Do they actually improve

View attachment 14869
Do these improve visibility over the useless OEM halogen bulbs or do they just look good? I'm interested in improved visibility in actual fog or rainy nights. I think the position of the fog lights is so low in the front bumper and so low to the ground that getting improved visibility coupled with the the excellent LED headlights some of us have, make fog lights useless no matter what bulb we have installed.

Maybe this isn't the case if your car has the standard halogen headlights though.

WCMEDiA

Grand Rapids, MI
Buick Ownership
Do they actually improve

Do these improve visibility over the useless OEM halogen bulbs or do they just look good? I'm interested in improved visibility in actual fog or rainy nights. I think the position of the fog lights is so low in the front bumper and so low to the ground that getting improved visibility coupled with the the excellent LED headlights some of us have, make fog lights useless no matter what bulb we have installed.

Maybe this isn't the case if your car has the standard halogen headlights though.
Sorry haven't had them in long enough to test them out in real foggy conditions. I've only had my TourX for 3wks.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Do they actually improve

It’s not so much the bulb as it is our own biology. Quite a bit of science behind yellow vs blue light...blue tends to produce glare to our eyes and can make things fuzzy around the edges. I used to see this everyday on the fancy oven my wife had to have - which had a blue LCD clock on a black background. Hard as hell to read across the room (really GE?). Combine this effect with reflective droplets (eg fog or rain) and the combo is very fatiguing. Yellow (long wavelength) is easier for our eyes - it’s why shooting glasses (or my Gunnar computer glasses) are yellow - it cuts glare which results in better definition, and a lot less eye fatigue. I recall some lights would have yellow lens covers - or even apply film - which would certainly cut the output. However the new LEDs (and even halogens) are pretty bright - so even if a lens cover was applied to the existing fog, I doubt we would notice that much drop off.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X

1. It’s not so much the bulb as it is our own biology. Quite a bit of science behind yellow vs blue light...blue tends to produce glare to our eyes and can make things fuzzy around the edges. I used to see this everyday on the fancy oven my wife had to have - which had a blue LCD clock on a black background. Hard as hell to read across the room (really GE?). Combine this effect with reflective droplets (eg fog or rain) and the combo is very fatiguing. Yellow (long wavelength) is easier for our eyes - it’s why shooting glasses (or my Gunnar computer glasses) are yellow - it cuts glare which results in better definition, and a lot less eye fatigue. I recall some lights would have yellow lens covers - or even apply film - which would certainly cut the output. However the new LEDs (and even halogens) are pretty bright - so even if a lens cover was applied to the existing fog, I doubt we would notice that much drop off.
    After I retired from the Navy, I worked in the photo industry, where I learned that the human eye is least sensitive to blue. (Primary Colors are Red, Green and Blue; Secondary Colors are Cyan, Magenta and Yellow). Yellow is the opposite of Blue. Remove the blue light from daylight (white light) and you get yellow light. Yellow filters out blue light. That's why BlueBlocker Sunglasses are amber or yellow. That's why they have yellow filters on camera lenses. When driving in fog or other scattered light conditions, yellow lights filter out the blue in the scattered light.
Up until around year 2001, all cars in France had Yelliw HEADLIGHTS. In anything worse than perfect night conditions, the Yellow headlights were better. When Europe united, the EU forced France to switch to White headlights. (Now all of Europe takes their orders from Brussels- one (Great) reason that the U.K. wants out of the EU. (Brexit). (The EU did force Italy to clean up their filth though).
I travel to France often ( sometimes to Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium) and I NEVER HAD PROBLEMS DRIVING IN FRANCE WITH YELLOW HEADLIGHTS.