• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

LED fog lamps for 2018 TourX

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I decided to install mine today. Although I believe in yellow bulbs, I knew from reading these posts that the center beam LED bulbs will not spread the light with the stock reflectors, so I purchased the White LED bulbs. (Eye Candy)

Remembering a previous post that said the drivers side is more difficult, I decided to do that side first. Getting bulb out of housing was easy. What took me the most time was figuring out how to unhook the tab from the bulb to the base. Not much room to look in there. Once I found the hidden tab, I needed a small flat head screwdriver to release the bulb. Not much room to work. Ok, got the bulb out and snapped new bulb in. Found housing hole by feel and had no problems reinstalling the bulb. Before doing passenger side, I turned on fogs just to see the difference. Wow. New LED bulb BRIGHT WHITE, compared to the stock QI/QH bulb. Now that I knew what I was doing, i changed the passenger side.

Although not good as Fog Lights, they are now WHITE like headlights.

I save my old bulbs, so I cleaned them with Rubbing Alcohol ( as I was touching them to get them out) before I put them on storage.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I decided to install mine today. Although I believe in yellow bulbs, I knew from reading these posts that the center beam LED bulbs will not spread the light with the stock reflectors, so I purchased the White LED bulbs. (Eye Candy)

Remembering a previous post that said the drivers side is more difficult, I decided to do that side first. Getting bulb out of housing was easy. What took me the most time was figuring out how to unhook the tab from the bulb to the base. Not much room to look in there. Once I found the hidden tab, I needed a small flat head screwdriver to release the bulb. Not much room to work. Ok, got the bulb out and snapped new bulb in. Found housing hole by feel and had no problems reinstalling the bulb. Before doing passenger side, I turned on fogs just to see the difference. Wow. New LED bulb BRIGHT WHITE, compared to the stock QI/QH bulb. Now that I knew what I was doing, i changed the passenger side.

Although not good as Fog Lights, they are now WHITE like headlights.

I save my old bulbs, so I cleaned them with Rubbing Alcohol ( as I was touching them to get them out) before I put them on storage.
Are your LED's brighten than the OEM's or just whiter?
Would you let us know which LED you bought? The E bay like lists several.

Thanks

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I thought I'd get "all" LED lamps with the Driver Confidence Package option on my 2018 TourX. But the fog lamps are just standard GM bulbs. Found a replacement set of true LED fog lamps on Amazon that go in quickly and look great. I picked bright yellow, but they are also available in blue and clear. Select size option "H16 H11 H8"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9S49GP

View attachment 14869
This is what I ordered and installed but in WHITE.

Very bright. Same White as my LED headlights.

Just remember that bulbs are not designed for the Buick Fog Reflectors. Looks great, but does nothing for seeing in fog.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
This is what I ordered and installed but in WHITE.

Very bright. Same White as my LED headlights.

Just remember that bulbs are not designed for the Buick Fog Reflectors. Looks great, but does nothing for seeing in fog.
May have missed it...older Buick driver...20190421_112142.jpg but is replacement as easy as our always accurate owners manual says it is? Got my blue ones yesterday from amazon. I really like there used stuff... still sealed up in inner bag but outer packaging not pristene.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
May have missed it...older Buick driver...View attachment 15194 but is replacement as easy as our always accurate owners manual says it is? Got my blue ones yesterday from amazon. I really like there used stuff... still sealed up in inner bag but outer packaging not pristene.
That picture hurts my old blurry eyes!
Amazon.com: PrimeLED XS Series Fog Light Headlight LED Bulbs, H11(H8 H9 H16) 16W 6000 Lm 2 Year Warranty (H11, White): Automotive
The above are Headlight wattage. 16w claimed. I wonder if they would fit the fog lamp housing?
The only review says they would hurt my eyes also.
Amazon.com: Customer reviews: PrimeLED XS Series Fog Light Headlight LED Bulbs, H11(H8 H9 H16) 16W 6000 Lm 2 Year Warranty (H11, White)

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That picture hurts my old blurry eyes!
Amazon.com: PrimeLED XS Series Fog Light Headlight LED Bulbs, H11(H8 H9 H16) 16W 6000 Lm 2 Year Warranty (H11, White): Automotive
The above are Headlight wattage. 16w claimed. I wonder if they would fit the fog lamp housing?
The only review says they would hurt my eyes also.
Amazon.com: Customer reviews: PrimeLED XS Series Fog Light Headlight LED Bulbs, H11(H8 H9 H16) 16W 6000 Lm 2 Year Warranty (H11, White)
This pic may be better resolution.
Cool blue... Should look cool, for no fog.
If it makes me more visible, it's a good thing IMG_20190421_195713278.jpg

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
So I installed the OPs yellow fog bulbs and am not really impressed. The original bulbs have very similar performance to the LED headlights whereas the upper cutoff line is very distinct. The yellow forward facing LED light is just broad and is not focused at all by the fog lights projector. From the drivers seat you can barely tell they are on.. Photos in this order: Front view, fog only, fog with headlights.
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG

I think the beast solution would be to get a yell halogen bulb like the OEM bulb that properly utilizes the projector.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi DoUSail,
I installed a different set (full report with photos after I return to my home garage where I took the "before photos". I found by eyeball my new lamps look much brighter if I stare at it through the fog lamp lenses, but the effect, looking from the driver seat is still poor.

Having said that, the the construction of the fog lamp is such that you won't have much scatter, and the top "cut-off" should be the same.... unless the aftermarket lamp is stick out significantly more and shine "forward". In this case, it may be slightly true. luckily, these aren't that bright... Plus, they are so low that they should blend in with your regular head lights.

My experience with the original fog lamps is that I can't see ANY improvement in illumination in fog (when I turn it on/off). I really only notice it if I stick my head forward and look at the immediate front corners of the car (while driving). This MIGHT be slightly useful in parking in total darkness, but not much else.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
(This relates more to colour than to halogen/LED options)

After finishing the tail lamp conversion, I've contorted my joints enough that just the
thought of sticking my hand up behind the front bumper and working by feel to replace the lamps is sufficient for me to reach for the aspirin bottle (child-proof cap? NOOO!!!!). So I'm going to try the film option. The 20"x2" kit will cover both lamps.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Glanced under car to see how hard it was going to be to replace bulbs, owners manual still sucks on detail.
Noticed fasteners under there, I assume like fogs on GP, you have to go thru flap? On GP you have to finish cutting thru plastic where marked under car.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Glanced under car to see how hard it was going to be to replace bulbs, owners manual still sucks on detail.
Noticed fasteners under there, I assume like fogs on GP, you have to go thru flap? On GP you have to finish cutting thru plastic where marked under car.
You can access the back of the bulb harness with no cutting or removing flaps. The passenger side was easier for me - suggest starting on that side to get the alignment of your hand/bulb figured out. The drivers side is a little harder as the clearance seems tighter...

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Someone already responded, but you don't need any tools. But I argue that you need a small screw driver... Maybe some zip ties (*for certain types of bulbs). You do not need to remove any fasteners, panels or trims.

There is a really good description on how to do this earlier in this thread, but I'll try to describe it my way: Get down on your stomach, stare at the light bulb through the fog light lens, then reach under the car and feel for the opening. Essentially, you're trying to reach the light bulb you can see through the lens. There is a fair size opening on both sides of the car. The driver side opening is smaller. Unless you have really large hands, it shouldn't be a problem. (I wear size large gloves, and I figure I can replace both bulbs in 5 minutes total, now that I've done it once)

Once you get your hand in the opening, you should be able to feel the wire - follow it to the cylindrical thingy. If you wiggle it, you'll see that you grabbed the correct thing if the light bulb also move. Rotate it counter-clockwise about 45 degrees (to your eyes, the bulb will be rotating clockwise). Since your car is relatively new, this should be easy and not take much force. The bulb can now be pulled straight out (away from you) and down to be disconnected.

The next part was probably the most difficult for me: Removing the light bulb. This is because the wire is very short, so you have less than an inch of free wire hanging off the bottom of the car. Having good eye sight, some light, would help. Jacking your car up a few feet would be even better, allowing your hands and eyes much closer to the cavity. If you examine the electrical connector on the replacement bulb, you'll see that there is a safety tab on one side. This tab is standard to the design of this H11 plug. You'll need a small flat head screw driver or a pocket knife to lever the clip on the female (car side) connector in order to wiggle-loose the bulb. Since this is designed to be water-proof, the plug doesn't just come off. You have to wiggle it - You'll need 2 hands for this part - one to hold the female connector with the screw drive in place holding the clip, and the other hand to wiggle the light bulb loose.

Installing the replacement bulb is as simple as reversing the directions above. Note that the electrical connector is supposed to be water-tight, but doesn't necessarily "click" when you plug your bulb in, so make sure it is definitely all the way in. (A flash light in the work area would help.)

*Caution: I didn't install the $30 lightbulb recommended by the OP. I bought the Philips 12834UNIX2 from Amazon. (There was an Amazon warehouse 20% off deal, so I brough a "like new" set for ~$86 after tax) I would not recommend buying new ($150!). Anyway, the caution is for those of you buying these lamps with the controller and extra wiring. The potential problem is that the extra mass, if not tied down securely, will at best, make rattling noises when you go over bumbs while driving, or at worst, fatigue the wire and break off over time. So, for my installation (~30 painful minutes lying on a cold concrete garage floor) most of the time were spent trying to secure the extra wiring with one hand with zip ties to the fog lamp cavity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2NHLTI

I'm sure you are wondering about the result - In short, the new lamps are definitely brighter than the old useless bulbs. I would not want to stare directly at my fog lights now. Unfortunately, I am on a business trip now. I did not get a chance to drive it in the dark, nor take "after photos" with the new lamps. I'll upload some photos after I get home in 3 weeks.

Interesting note: Thanks to a previous post (here or another lamp posting), I was able to turn on the fog lamp while holding the headlight control knob to the OFF position. This gives me day-time-running-light and fogs at the same time without the bright LED headlamp. I took "BEFORE-photos" with the old fog lamp both ways in my dark garage. I'll do the same with the new lamps when I get home.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Someone already responded, but you don't need any tools. But I argue that you need a small screw driver... Maybe some zip ties (*for certain types of bulbs). You do not need to remove any fasteners, panels or trims.

There is a really good description on how to do this earlier in this thread, but I'll try to describe it my way: Get down on your stomach, stare at the light bulb through the fog light lens, then reach under the car and feel for the opening. Essentially, you're trying to reach the light bulb you can see through the lens. There is a fair size opening on both sides of the car. The driver side opening is smaller. Unless you have really large hands, it shouldn't be a problem. (I wear size large gloves, and I figure I can replace both bulbs in 5 minutes total, now that I've done it once)

Once you get your hand in the opening, you should be able to feel the wire - follow it to the cylindrical thingy. If you wiggle it, you'll see that you grabbed the correct thing if the light bulb also move. Rotate it counter-clockwise about 45 degrees (to your eyes, the bulb will be rotating clockwise). Since your car is relatively new, this should be easy and not take much force. The bulb can now be pulled straight out (away from you) and down to be disconnected.

The next part was probably the most difficult for me: Removing the light bulb. This is because the wire is very short, so you have less than an inch of free wire hanging off the bottom of the car. Having good eye sight, some light, would help. Jacking your car up a few feet would be even better, allowing your hands and eyes much closer to the cavity. If you examine the electrical connector on the replacement bulb, you'll see that there is a safety tab on one side. This tab is standard to the design of this H11 plug. You'll need a small flat head screw driver or a pocket knife to lever the clip on the female (car side) connector in order to wiggle-loose the bulb. Since this is designed to be water-proof, the plug doesn't just come off. You have to wiggle it - You'll need 2 hands for this part - one to hold the female connector with the screw drive in place holding the clip, and the other hand to wiggle the light bulb loose.

Installing the replacement bulb is as simple as reversing the directions above. Note that the electrical connector is supposed to be water-tight, but doesn't necessarily "click" when you plug your bulb in, so make sure it is definitely all the way in. (A flash light in the work area would help.)

*Caution: I didn't install the $30 lightbulb recommended by the OP. I bought the Philips 12834UNIX2 from Amazon. (There was an Amazon warehouse 20% off deal, so I brough a "like new" set for ~$86 after tax) I would not recommend buying new ($150!). Anyway, the caution is for those of you buying these lamps with the controller and extra wiring. The potential problem is that the extra mass, if not tied down securely, will at best, make rattling noises when you go over bumbs while driving, or at worst, fatigue the wire and break off over time. So, for my installation (~30 painful minutes lying on a cold concrete garage floor) most of the time were spent trying to secure the extra wiring with one hand with zip ties to the fog lamp cavity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2NHLTI

I'm sure you are wondering about the result - In short, the new lamps are definitely brighter than the old useless bulbs. I would not want to stare directly at my fog lights now. Unfortunately, I am on a business trip now. I did not get a chance to drive it in the dark, nor take "after photos" with the new lamps. I'll upload some photos after I get home in 3 weeks.

Interesting note: Thanks to a previous post (here or another lamp posting), I was able to turn on the fog lamp while holding the headlight control knob to the OFF position. This gives me day-time-running-light and fogs at the same time without the bright LED headlamp. I took "BEFORE-photos" with the old fog lamp both ways in my dark garage. I'll do the same with the new lamps when I get home.
Wow great instructions Steve... really apreciate that!
Sounds like a PIA, may be good excuse for me to do 2nd free oil change and scope out while up on lift.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
To do mine, I drove my car up on ramps. Makes it a lot easier to get to the bulbs.

He is correct that you reach up, follow the wires to the housing, then turn housing COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I needed a flashlight to see the tab to release the bulb. Small screwdriver releases the tab. Now you need two hands. One to hold the housing and other to pry out the bulb. Next, snap in new bulb. By feel, find opening in back of lens, insert bulb and housing, twisting until housing snaps into rear of lens opening. Then twist housing CLOCKWISE to lock it in place.

Simple.

Note that both old and new bulbs have a rubber gasket to seal out water, snow, dirt, humidity, etc.

I saved my old Quartz bulbs. Because I had to touch them when i removed them, I cleaned them with rubbing isopropyl alcohol.

Actually easier than it sounds.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
To do mine, I drove my car up on ramps. Makes it a lot easier to get to the bulbs.

He is correct that you reach up, follow the wires to the housing, then turn housing COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I needed a flashlight to see the tab to release the bulb. Small screwdriver releases the tab. Now you need two hands. One to hold the housing and other to pry out the bulb. Next, snap in new bulb. By feel, find opening in back of lens, insert bulb and housing, twisting until housing snaps into rear of lens opening. Then twist housing CLOCKWISE to lock it in place.

Simple.

Note that both old and new bulbs have a rubber gasket to seal out water, snow, dirt, humidity, etc.

I saved my old Quartz bulbs. Because I had to touch them when i removed them, I cleaned them with rubbing isopropyl alcohol.

Actually easier than it sounds.
Thanks older guy Bob.
Just washed TourX, still like looking at it.IMG_20190501_184528974_HDR.jpg

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I haven't looked at the fogs yet myself but I would be careful. I know on a lot of other forums I was on, up-rated wattage was OK on the wiring but the heat for the housings was no good. You might be OK on the fogs since they actively have air flowing over them, but I would still watch it.

Pedal Commander