LED fog lamps for 2018 TourX

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just for the official record, the OEM bulb is H8. Sorry for conflicting with another poster above. Here is the text printed on mine (2018 Regal TourX):

OSRAM
H8
12V 35W U
64212L +DOT
GERMANY (E1) 24H
W7E 1

According to Wikipedia
List of automotive light bulb types - Wikipedia

H8 is rated for 12V 35W and ~800 lums brightness
H11 is rated 12V 55W and 1350 lums brightness
H16 is rated 12V 19W and no brightness spec

I guess if you get an official H11 bulb that is sucking 55W (or worst if over-spec), then there is a small risk of overheating. (55W bulb used in a system rated for 33W...)

But then again, I grew up putting 100W bulbs in light sockets rated for 60W around my home with no ill effects (That I can see) YMMV :)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Just for the official record, the OEM bulb is H8. Sorry for conflicting with another poster above. Here is the text printed on mine (2018 Regal TourX):

OSRAM
H8
12V 35W U
64212L +DOT
GERMANY (E1) 24H
W7E 1

According to Wikipedia
List of automotive light bulb types - Wikipedia

H8 is rated for 12V 35W and ~800 lums brightness
H11 is rated 12V 55W and 1350 lums brightness
H16 is rated 12V 19W and no brightness spec

I guess if you get an official H11 bulb that is sucking 55W (or worst if over-spec), then there is a small risk of overheating. (55W bulb used in a system rated for 33W...)

But then again, I grew up putting 100W bulbs in light sockets rated for 60W around my home with no ill effects (That I can see) YMMV :)
I assume if using LED bulbs, wattage will always be considerably less then original non LED bulbs.
Since my H11 LED bulb uses less then 10 watts, it would make no sense to get dimmer H8 bulbs, no matter the type if wattage is less then 1/3 of standard H8.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
I assume if using LED bulbs, wattage will always be considerably less then original non LED bulbs.
Since my H11 LED bulb uses less then 10 watts, it would make no sense to get dimmer H8 bulbs, no matter the type if wattage is less then 1/3 of standard H8.
LJ, I agree with you on the risk being low.

Anyway, I promised I would report back after I installed my aftermarket OSRAM lamps. They are OSRAM 66220CW. Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-LEDriving-LED-Fog-Lamps/dp/B01N2OS8KL

I was not able to comprehensively compare the original fogs against the new fogs on the street, but here are some photos.

The photos were taken with the head lamps turned off in all cases.

The white color matches the LED headlamps. Based on my unscientific observation, light is slightly brighter, but since the fogs essentially aim at the ground about 5-10 feet in front of the car (by design), this improvement may be useful only when parking in the dark/fog...
In conclusion, it was a waste of my money. I should of just brought the OP's $30 set and be happy with the color match... :)

Attachments

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thank God for Amazon's lenient returns policy?
I decided to keep it... here is my justification:
I paid much less than retail (Amazon warehouse used in good condition) with a 20% discount. I believe it was ~$85 after taxes. I can crawl under my car and snip all the zip ties I put on to secure the bulbs, package it back and send it back to Amazon for a refund. Reinstall my original bulbs (to keep water/elements from entering the plug) while I order the $30 bulbs and reinstall. For the price difference ($55), I get a nicer brand (OSRAM), nicer light (effectively not much improvement), and not have to go through the hassle. This may not be applicable in today's LED technology, but I've had bad experience with no-name aftermarket bulbs burning out quickly back in the old "cool blue" days...

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I decided to keep it... here is my justification:
I paid much less than retail (Amazon warehouse used in good condition) with a 20% discount. I believe it was ~$85 after taxes. I can crawl under my car and snip all the zip ties I put on to secure the bulbs, package it back and send it back to Amazon for a refund. Reinstall my original bulbs (to keep water/elements from entering the plug) while I order the $30 bulbs and reinstall. For the price difference ($55), I get a nicer brand (OSRAM), nicer light (effectively not much improvement), and not have to go through the hassle. This may not be applicable in today's LED technology, but I've had bad experience with no-name aftermarket bulbs burning out quickly back in the old "cool blue" days...
Zipties do sound like a big hassel. The used like new led bulbs I got for $22 seem like a bargain. They installed exactly like stock bulbs, and getting blue made it seem like I got something for my $22.IMG_20190421_195713278.jpg

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Zipties do sound like a big hassel. The used like new led bulbs I got for $22 seem like a bargain. They installed exactly like stock bulbs, and getting blue made it seem like I got something for my $22.View attachment 16556
Here is better picture, love Amazon used stuff that is still sealed up and packaging was damaged.
20190421_112142.jpg

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Just remember when flashing to pass that the fog lights with dual color will change as you are cycling them off briefly.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Do

Norm do not forget to honk! Just to make sure... I punch it to get out of your way.
Funny, that was a question my daughter missed on her driver's permit test. But in today's super-heated drivers rage environment, I believe it would just irritate folks.

G-687636

I have installed H8’s in my 2018 Buick TourX
I purchased on EBay shipped from England.
They are true 100w Yellow /Amber 12 volt, that are used on European BMW’s as standard equipment.
They light up Highway signs for at least 1/2 a mile and also the side of the roads as you're driving.
Makes driving in heavy rain and fog much safe. They burn through for great visibility.
Haven’t tried them in snow, yet.
They don’t appear to worry on coming traffic as they are offset to the side and not aimed straight ahead.
eastonspencer@gmail.com

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Do you have a link and have you checked your harness? Just wondering if there are any signs of overheating from the extra current.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have installed H8’s in my 2018 Buick TourX
I purchased on EBay shipped from England.
They are true 100w Yellow /Amber 12 volt, that are used on European BMW’s as standard equipment.
They light up Highway signs for at least 1/2 a mile and also the side of the roads as you're driving.
Makes driving in heavy rain and fog much safe. They burn through for great visibility.
Haven’t tried them in snow, yet.
They don’t appear to worry on coming traffic as they are offset to the side and not aimed straight ahead.
eastonspencer@gmail.com

How long have you been running these 100 watt bulbs? Good to know they don't get too hot for the lenses. Curious about the wiring though.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
View attachment 17033

Finally got around to installing my LED fog light bulbs. These are DeAutoKey LEDs that I had on my previous VW. Perfect match and great output
Is that completely stock Sportback front end, guessing it is? Storming again Norm, seems to think you painted grill and lower facia? My TourX frontend looks a little different but not alot. Bright trim around grill and fogs different.IMG_20190523_143240080_HDR.jpg

Last edited: