• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

LED fog lamps for 2018 TourX

danzig997

47°40′10″N 122°7′26″W
Buick Ownership
TourX Essence with Opel Insignia DNA.
I will be retrofitting my Tourx with GS front bumper, therefore both foglights are going to be deleted. I am trying to figure out how to deal with possible errors since CANBus more likely will throw Error Code.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
I will be retrofitting my Tourx with GS front bumper, therefore both foglights are going to be deleted. I am trying to figure out how to deal with possible errors since CANBus more likely will throw Error Code.
I have doubts about errors. Many of us have replaced with lower-wattage LED’s and no problems. Possibly since it’s a ‘non-essential’ light. Back-up lights on the other hand have cause issues.

Fog lamp description:
The front fog lamp relay is supplied with battery voltage at all times. The front fog lamp switch signal circuit is grounded momentarily by pressing the front fog lamp switch. The body control module (BCM) energizes the front fog lamp relay by applying ground to the front fog lamp relay control circuit. When the front fog lamp relay is energized, the relay switch contacts close and battery voltage is applied through the front fog lamp fuse to the front fog lamp supply voltage circuit which illuminates the front fog lamps.

Backup lamps:
With the engine ON and the transmission in the REVERSE position, the transmission control module (TCM) sends a serial data message to the body control module (BCM). The message indicates that the gear selector is in the REVERSE position. The BCM applies battery voltage to the backup lamps control circuit illuminating the backup lamps. Once the driver moves the gear selector out of the REVERSE position, a message is sent by the TCM via serial data requesting the BCM to remove battery voltage from the backup lamps control circuit. The engine must be ON for the backup lamps to operate.

Park, tail & license lamps:
When the turn signal/multifunction switch is placed in the HEAD or PARK position, ground is applied to the turn signal/multifunction switch park lamp switch ON signal circuit to the body control module (BCM). The BCM responds by applying voltage to the park lamps, tail lamps, and license lamps control circuits illuminating the park, tail, and license lamps.

As you see, the ‘essential’ lamps in the car has the voltage applied directly by the BCM, therefore it knows the load. The BCM applies voltage to a relay for the fogs so it doesn’t know the load.

I believe you won’t have an issue. You could try it by unplugging both fogs and drive with the switch on. But, if you unplug a tail or license light you will get a message.

Last edited:

BucknerBall

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I went with the below listed fog lights and you can see the difference they show to match the factory led headlights...as fog lights I find these lights useless no matter what globes are in them but so it matches the led light rather than looking a dull yellow I believe it matches well and is a must. Plus 1 month in so far and no canbus errors or issues at all.

Philips X-tremeUltinon LED FOG Light H8 H11 H16 Bulbs Part number PGJ19-112794UNIX2
I am a new TourX owner. How do you get to the fog lights to replace them? I'm sure that it's not too difficult, but looking at the vehicle it's not obvious.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I am a new TourX owner. How do you get to the fog lights to replace them?

Access is from underneath the car. Below is post #74 from this thread:

Someone already responded, but you don't need any tools. But I argue that you need a small screw driver... Maybe some zip ties (*for certain types of bulbs). You do not need to remove any fasteners, panels or trims.

There is a really good description on how to do this earlier in this thread, but I'll try to describe it my way: Get down on your stomach, stare at the light bulb through the fog light lens, then reach under the car and feel for the opening. Essentially, you're trying to reach the light bulb you can see through the lens. There is a fair size opening on both sides of the car. The driver side opening is smaller. Unless you have really large hands, it shouldn't be a problem. (I wear size large gloves, and I figure I can replace both bulbs in 5 minutes total, now that I've done it once)

Once you get your hand in the opening, you should be able to feel the wire - follow it to the cylindrical thingy. If you wiggle it, you'll see that you grabbed the correct thing if the light bulb also move. Rotate it counter-clockwise about 45 degrees (to your eyes, the bulb will be rotating clockwise). Since your car is relatively new, this should be easy and not take much force. The bulb can now be pulled straight out (away from you) and down to be disconnected.

The next part was probably the most difficult for me: Removing the light bulb. This is because the wire is very short, so you have less than an inch of free wire hanging off the bottom of the car. Having good eye sight, some light, would help. Jacking your car up a few feet would be even better, allowing your hands and eyes much closer to the cavity. If you examine the electrical connector on the replacement bulb, you'll see that there is a safety tab on one side. This tab is standard to the design of this H11 plug. You'll need a small flat head screw driver or a pocket knife to lever the clip on the female (car side) connector in order to wiggle-loose the bulb. Since this is designed to be water-proof, the plug doesn't just come off. You have to wiggle it - You'll need 2 hands for this part - one to hold the female connector with the screw drive in place holding the clip, and the other hand to wiggle the light bulb loose.

Installing the replacement bulb is as simple as reversing the directions above. Note that the electrical connector is supposed to be water-tight, but doesn't necessarily "click" when you plug your bulb in, so make sure it is definitely all the way in. (A flash light in the work area would help.)

*Caution: I didn't install the $30 lightbulb recommended by the OP. I bought the Philips 12834UNIX2 from Amazon. (There was an Amazon warehouse 20% off deal, so I brough a "like new" set for ~$86 after tax) I would not recommend buying new ($150!). Anyway, the caution is for those of you buying these lamps with the controller and extra wiring. The potential problem is that the extra mass, if not tied down securely, will at best, make rattling noises when you go over bumbs while driving, or at worst, fatigue the wire and break off over time. So, for my installation (~30 painful minutes lying on a cold concrete garage floor) most of the time were spent trying to secure the extra wiring with one hand with zip ties to the fog lamp cavity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2NHLTI

I'm sure you are wondering about the result - In short, the new lamps are definitely brighter than the old useless bulbs. I would not want to stare directly at my fog lights now. Unfortunately, I am on a business trip now. I did not get a chance to drive it in the dark, nor take "after photos" with the new lamps. I'll upload some photos after I get home in 3 weeks.

Interesting note: Thanks to a previous post (here or another lamp posting), I was able to turn on the fog lamp while holding the headlight control knob to the OFF position. This gives me day-time-running-light and fogs at the same time without the bright LED headlamp. I took "BEFORE-photos" with the old fog lamp both ways in my dark garage. I'll do the same with the new lamps when I get home.

BucknerBall

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Access is from underneath the car. Below is post #74 from this thread:
Thanks for the detailed description. I got them changed, thought the drivers side was much more difficult due to less clearance in that area. I went with the Alla amber yellow LED's, and they look great so far. Can't wait to try them on a dark country road or dense fog.

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS

There shouldn't be any problem, and you can also replace the headlamp switch module with one that hasn't got the foglamp switch.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks for the detailed description. I got them changed, thought the drivers side was much more difficult due to less clearance in that area. I went with the Alla amber yellow LED's, and they look great so far. Can't wait to try them on a dark country road or dense fog.
You probably got the same ones I did... unfortunately the housing they used isn't very good so a brighter bulb doesn't do a whole lot but I like the look. I have pics here.

danzig997

47°40′10″N 122°7′26″W
Buick Ownership
TourX Essence with Opel Insignia DNA.
@Wlepse
Link is dead, mate. :cry:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners