LED Turn Signal Change

Thread starter #1

Craig M.

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Lucerne
Hi All,

I'm looking to change the turn signal bulbs to LEDs on my 2007 CXS. In order to disable the hyper flash, the most seamless way to do it from what I have researched is to switch out the combination flasher unit located within the dash.

Has anyone done this / know how to remove this fuse?

Thanks!

Craig

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Another option would be to use Anti Hyper Flash built-in load resistor bulbs, they cost a little more but no need to change the flasher. I did my rear brake lights with a resistor to get rid of the hyper flash as I had the room in the trunk, but on front headlights little if no space to do it cleanly.

Zrinehart

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne CXL
Another option would be to use Anti Hyper Flash built-in load resistor bulbs, they cost a little more but no need to change the flasher. I did my rear brake lights with a resistor to get rid of the hyper flash as I had the room in the trunk, but on front headlights little if no space to do it cleanly.
Did putting those bulbs in the rear solve the problem entirely? I know if you just put in regular resistors on the wiring, you have to put them on the wiring for each bulb.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I just put in the resistors on the rear bulbs, backup doesn't need them. The ones with the built in resistors had just come out and didn't seem to have good reviews at the time. If you pull the liner on the sides you'll see a frame support next to the harness which works great for mounting the resistors, air and nothing touching them.

Zrinehart

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne CXL
Okay, I see I kinda misread that post I replied to. I assume you had LED both front and back turn signals. So you were able to put just one resistor on each rear turn signal and that was enough to stop the hyper flash? Sorry to be nit-picky, but I would rather not have to tear apart my front end again if I don't have to.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Each bulb will need it's own resistor. In the rear tons of room, but on the fronts it gets tight and the resistor do get hot so a little more planning is needed, that's why I skipped them and already put in a pair of LED headlights so space was getting tight. I had some tinting done on the rear lights so I used a brighter bulb to offset it and in the backups for the reverse camera.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Don't thank me yet, have you tried to get the front light bulbs out yet?

Zrinehart

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne CXL
I've already leaped before looking. My marker lights were out and low beams were dimming so I had already torn the front end open to get to the light assembly to replace bulbs. Since it is such a pain to do so, I replaced all the bulbs, but I didn't think to get resistors. I was hoping to be able to just switch out the flasher relay, but I am finding that is not really an option. So, yea me, I get to tear it all apart again to put the resistors in!

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Not one of GM shinning engineering moments LOL what a PITA.

Anyway if you need to get some GM part diagrams which may make it easier to figure things out this has been pretty useful. OK it starts out in Russian but has a English drop down menu. It's a little clunky but it has a ton of diagrams and parts listing.

Каталоги запчастей в аренду

Good luck on your project.

Zrinehart

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne CXL
I see why they quit making them! lol other than this and some other odd things, I still like my Lucerne.

Thanks for the link! It should prove to be useful!

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Well I've dug pretty deep into mine and can probably answer the off the wall stuff so feel free to PM if you want. Great car still as it's the last big Buick car it's moving towards collector's status LOL.

Zrinehart

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne CXL
This may be a dumb question, but on the front turn signal there are two black wires, a green with a stripe, and a red-ish wire. Which wires do I need to hook up the resistor to?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I know what you are asking but I don't know the color wire it is. As it's a duel filiment bulb, I think it's been awhile, you need to find which wire is for the blinker side of the bulb hot side. I'm a set it and forget it for some stuff, I'm old and have a 256k chip memory living in a 1G world LOL.

Zrinehart

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne CXL
I know what you are asking but I don't know the color wire it is. As it's a duel filiment bulb, I think it's been awhile, you need to find which wire is for the blinker side of the bulb hot side. I'm a set it and forget it for some stuff, I'm old and have a 256k chip memory living in a 1G world LOL.
I understand that. Figured I would ask. On a similar note. I have only replaced the front turns with led and not the back. If I install the resistors on the front that should still take care of the hyper flash, right? Or do I need to switch out the back too to make it all match? (Mainly haven't done the back yet due to budgeting)

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It will take care of those but when you add the rears one on each light will be needed. The rears are a lot easier just pull back the side material and you'll see the wires and a brace right there.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.