Letter from GM about the exhaust camshaft position actuator solenoid valve

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Do you have any of the conditions mentioned? If not, it may still be a good idea to have the dealer inspect the wires while under TSB warranty.

Sam14GS

Lake Worth, Florida
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS & 2019 Hyundai Tucson Limited
I don't have any of the conditions stated in the letter. Since the letter says Do not take your vehicle to the dealer unless it has the conditions mentioned, I doubt that they will just check it for free. What does that solenoid valve do ? Where is it located ?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As stated in the letter not to bring it in unless it has the problems, it may be a hurry up and wait which is a issue as no one will know what inconvenient moment that will be. You can call the dealer and express your concern which they may do a customer courtesy inspection or say it's nothing to worry about, it's just how good the dealership may be.

It's not that this is the first time,
15824 - Camshaft Position Actuator Valve (Exhaust) Replacement - 2013 Cadillac & Chevrolet

Here's a quick description of it:
What Is an Exhaust Cam Actuator Solenoid?

it's number #236 on the diagram, no harness.
100826GM00-066.png

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I replaced one on a 2008 Pontiac G5. Remove the plastic engine cover, disconnect the wire harness to the sensor, remove the bolt holding it down, clean any debris that might fall in, twist and pull the sensor out. Installation is the same in reverse. Might be a 15 minute job.

Sam14GS

Lake Worth, Florida
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS & 2019 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Is the part under the valve cover ? Or is it just under the plastic engine cover ? I hate having the dealer touch the car unless I have too. No symptoms at 52k miles so far.

exarkun

Buick Newbie
Minneapolis, MN (metro area)
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS AWD
I got the same letter. As it says, no need to bring it in unless you have the symptoms. It also states they are extending the warranty on that too.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
Haven't gotten any notice's for my 16' GS. since my rear tail lights were recalled due to condensation and cracking

kgoebz

Ottawa ON
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
This is pretty common on all the newer Ecotec 4 cylinders. Have had a handful of ATS 2.5L and 2.0T (same as Regal) require this repair as low as 50000km. Always covered under the campaign which is nice.

Worth noting the parts are cheap even if it wasn't under an extended warranty from GM. Takes no time at all to change.

Worth noting as well that the diagram posted earlier in this thread is for the old style Ecotec (2013 and older Regal, and basically every other Ecotec going back to like 2006, if it has VVT). IIRC the newer ones don't drop in the top of the head, but instead bolt in from the side of the head. Same area on the motor though.