Level 2 Self Driving Buick Regal

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Hey Everyone! Just wanted to give everyone a quick intro to what I've been working on.

There is a great open-source initiative called comma working to convert production vehicles into Level 2 (hands-off) self driving vehicles. I've been looking into comma hardware for awhile and upon the purchase of my 2018 TourX with Adaptive Cruise Control, it became obvious that the TourX would be capable of using comma's system, with some modification. Comma's system is designed to work with nearly any production vehicle out there.

For about two months now I've been testing with my personal vehicle. The modification of the existing system to work with the Regal was very simple as GM shares a global architecture with many vehicles.

This isn't for the faint of heart. It involves a deep knowledge of software and how the system interacts with the vehicle's existing control systems. I'll continue to update this thread when my work gets upstreamed into the official release of the system. At the moment it is experimental and my current changes can be used from my fork here.

I have a hunch that all 2018+ Regal's will be able to support this functionality due to the active hood mechanism. At the moment it is only available to models that came from the factory with the Adaptive Cruise Control package. If anyone out there is savvy and would like to work with me on exploring non-ACC trims, I'd be glad to work with you.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
From a quick read it looks like ACC is required for all platforms. What's your plan to work around that? Disclosure - day job is electrical engineer with 25+ years embedded programming experience.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Ok, I’ll bite. Tell me more.
Will do :)

From a quick read it looks like ACC is required for all platforms. What's your plan to work around that? Disclosure - day job is electrical engineer with 25+ years embedded programming experience.
Correct, for GM ports ACC is required for all platforms currently. This is because the ACC package generally provides additional modules that send requests for throttle and brake. I suspect that all 2018+ Regal's have this hardware and might be capable of utilizing this system. As I only have access to a vehicle with ACC I can't be so certain.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (Mostly)
I'm afraid I don't see Level 2 autonomy ever becoming useful for anything other than thinning the subset of lesser qualified drivers. The notion that someone can sit in the drivers seat enjoying the ride but be prepared at a moments (say 0.5 seconds) notice to assess the immediate situation and then to implement an emergency control action is nothing more than wishful thinking. There have been more than enough studies completed that demonstrate that we humans aren't capable of maintaining the required level of situational awareness required for such operations. OK--level 2 might be a stepping stone on the way to level 4, but by no means should it allowed in the wild.

I should have defined 'in the wild'; by which I meant a regular human going to a dealership and purchasing such an auto. I'm aware they (L2 prototypes) are on public streets, but I believe they're being driven (?) by research personnel. Sorry for any confusion--carry on...

Last edited:

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I suspect that all 2018+ Regal's have this hardware and might be capable of utilizing this system. As I only have access to a vehicle with ACC I can't be so certain.
What hardware & software is required to determine module inventory? Can it all be done thru the OBDII port or does it need a higher-speed connection? I've got a generic ELM327/bluetooth lump, as well as a K+DCAN cable that I used for diagnosis on my 2006 BMW E61.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
I'm afraid I don't see Level 2 autonomy ever becoming useful for anything other than thinning the subset of lesser qualified drivers. The notion that someone can sit in the drivers seat enjoying the ride but be prepared at a moments (say 0.5 seconds) notice to assess the immediate situation and then to implement an emergency control action is nothing more than wishful thinking. There have been more than enough studies completed that demonstrate that we humans aren't capable of maintaining the required level of situational awareness required for such operations. OK--level 2 might be a stepping stone on the way to level 4, but by no means should it allowed in the wild.
L2 is in the wild so I'm unsure what you are trying to accomplish here.

What hardware & software is required to determine module inventory? Can it all be done thru the OBDII port or does it need a higher-speed connection? I've got a generic ELM327/bluetooth lump, as well as a K+DCAN cable that I used for diagnosis on my 2006 BMW E61.
The comma Panda works best. I'm open to lending one of mine out so you can grab data for me.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Private message sent (I think, seem to be called Conversations in this forum)

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Hey Everyone! Just wanted to give everyone a quick intro to what I've been working on.

There is a great open-source initiative called comma working to convert production vehicles into Level 2 (hands-off) self driving vehicles. I've been looking into comma hardware for awhile and upon the purchase of my 2018 TourX with Adaptive Cruise Control, it became obvious that the TourX would be capable of using comma's system, with some modification. Comma's system is designed to work with nearly any production vehicle out there.

For about two months now I've been testing with my personal vehicle. The modification of the existing system to work with the Regal was very simple as GM shares a global architecture with many vehicles.

This isn't for the faint of heart. It involves a deep knowledge of software and how the system interacts with the vehicle's existing control systems. I'll continue to update this thread when my work gets upstreamed into the official release of the system. At the moment it is experimental and my current changes can be used from my fork here.

I have a hunch that all 2018+ Regal's will be able to support this functionality due to the active hood mechanism. At the moment it is only available to models that came from the factory with the Adaptive Cruise Control package. If anyone out there is savvy and would like to work with me on exploring non-ACC trims, I'd be glad to work with you.
The one Item that is a an available option on the USA TourX my car is not equipped with is Drive Confidence pkg #2.
Do you think it would be possible to add?

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
The one Item that is a an available option on the USA TourX my car is not equipped with is Drive Confidence pkg #2.
Do you think it would be possible to add?
As it stands today, no. It cannot be added. I'm hoping to work with some other members to potentially see if its possible.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
As of OpenPilot 0.5.9 the Regal TourX (and most likely the Sportback) with Adaptive Cruise Control is officially supported through Comma. Doing the "default" setup for GM will recognize the Regal and the software will work appropriately.

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx Essence +all
As of OpenPilot 0.5.9 the Regal TourX (and most likely the Sportback) with Adaptive Cruise Control is officially supported through Comma. Doing the "default" setup for GM will recognize the Regal and the software will work appropriately.

Have the package #2 and only need the giraffe thing... but how does this effect my 4yr BumperToBumper???

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Have the package #2 and only need the giraffe thing... but how does this effect my 4yr BumperToBumper???
Modifying a vehicle cannot invalidate the entire warranty of a vehicle. They are able to deny claims if the modifications obviously did damage to systems you are trying to have repaired under warranty.

i.e.: If your HVAC or air conditioning breaks, this would still be covered regardless of modifications to the ACC system.

Now if the radar breaks, they might deny a claim.

As always these changes are reversible easily by removing the system, which takes about 10 minutes tops.

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx Essence +all
Modifying a vehicle cannot invalidate the entire warranty of a vehicle. They are able to deny claims if the modifications obviously did damage to systems you are trying to have repaired under warranty.

i.e.: If your HVAC or air conditioning breaks, this would still be covered regardless of modifications to the ACC system.

Now if the radar breaks, they might deny a claim.

As always these changes are reversible easily by removing the system, which takes about 10 minutes tops.
Great, yes if it's easily removable and it's not like we are reflashing some module, sounds fun... Right now it's brand new and cold outside, but tinker time soon...

obrienmd

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
This is super interesting - I'd heard of comma.ai and am glad to see our car is an option!

I have a 2018 with DC2, and am a bit confused about what I need:
  • EON DevKit: Do I need this, or given I have DC2 can OpenPilot use the car's sensors?
  • panda: Do I need this? I assume yes, how does the Grey one interface with the host running OpenPilot?
  • giraffe: Do any of these models work against the Buick out of the box? (NEVER MIND USES GM ONE HERE: Giraffe for General Motors cars)
  • Host: What host runs OpenPilot? A single board computer in my car? Something more powerful (x86 box) or less powerful (my smartphone?)

Last edited:

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
This is super interesting - I'd heard of comma.ai and am glad to see our car is an option!

I have a 2018 with DC2, and am a bit confused about what I need:
  • EON DevKit: Do I need this, or given I have DC2 can OpenPilot use the car's sensors?
  • panda: Do I need this? I assume yes, how does the Grey one interface with the host running OpenPilot?
  • giraffe: Do any of these models work against the Buick out of the box?
  • Host: What host runs OpenPilot? A single board computer in my car? Something more powerful (x86 box) or less powerful (my smartphone?)
EON DevKit: Yes. This is what does all of the processing, what your last line Host refers to. The current DevKit is actually a cell phone with an extra PCB in the "case" around it to interface with the external fan in the case. This phone does all of the processing needed using the vision system.
Panda: Yes. This is the main interface to the vehicle itself to both transmit steering commands and receive data from other modules on the vehicle to receive data like wheel speed, radar targets, cruise control button status, etc. The panda is responsible for receiving commands from the EON and verifying they are within safety limits. i.e. the EON tells the panda to turn quickly to the right at a rate of change higher than the safety limit programmed into the panda, the panda will reject the command and notify the EON.
giraffe: The giraffe created by a community member is available and I believe with the current revision will support the Regal out of the box.

When I first received mine I had to solder jump a pin to allow the radar to turn on. GM uses two different pins on the connector to allow for the ASCM (the module the giraffe replaces) to turn on multiple systems. On some vehicles they used pin "X" and on the Regal they used pin "Y". The design has also been open sourced if you are interested in rolling your own.

obrienmd

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Panda: Yes. This is the main interface to the vehicle itself to both transmit steering commands and receive data from other modules on the vehicle to receive data like wheel speed, radar targets, cruise control button status, etc. The panda is responsible for receiving commands from the EON and verifying they are within safety limits. i.e. the EON tells the panda to turn quickly to the right at a rate of change higher than the safety limit programmed into the panda, the panda will reject the command and notify the EON.
Thanks for the quick reply! I suppose I was asking a lower layer question on connectivity - i.e. how does the EON interface with the Panda (and Giraffe) on physical / data link layers? USB? Wireless?

How's yours working? :)

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx Essence +all
EON DevKit: Yes. This is what does all of the processing, what your last line Host refers to. The current DevKit is actually a cell phone with an extra PCB in the "case" around it to interface with the external fan in the case. This phone does all of the processing needed using the vision system.
giraffe: The giraffe created by a community member is available and I believe with the current revision will support the Regal out of the box.

[/URL]

When I first received mine I had to solder jump a pin to allow the radar to turn on. GM uses two different pins on the connector to allow for the ASCM (the module the giraffe replaces) to turn on multiple systems. On some vehicles they used pin "X" and on the Regal they used pin "Y". The design has also been open sourced if you are interested in rolling your own.

[/URL]
My early question about the warranty affect, soldering a pin doesn't sound like later removing for a warranty issue, you can make this install transparent...

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Thanks for the quick reply! I suppose I was asking a lower layer question on connectivity - i.e. how does the EON interface with the Panda (and Giraffe) on physical / data link layers? USB? Wireless?

How's yours working? :)
Working well! 0.5.9 introduced some issues with reflashing the panda so I've reverted back to my branch for the moment. I've had many highway drives without issue and hour long activations without needing to intervene.

My early question about the warranty affect, soldering a pin doesn't sound like later removing for a warranty issue, you can make this install transparent...
The pin soldered is inside the giraffe or extra module that is added on with this system. To revert the module is removed and the factory ASCM is plugged in. No hard modification to parts or wiring that shipped with the car.

obrienmd

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Working well! 0.5.9 introduced some issues with reflashing the panda so I've reverted back to my branch for the moment. I've had many highway drives without issue and hour long activations without needing to intervene.
Cool - do you have any pictures / steps on your install? I'm reasonably *nix / embedded-capable, but most brand new to actually looking deeply into comma, or even ML / CV :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.