• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Liftgate light

ODannyBoy

Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
The rear storage light is terribly located. Anything in the back blocks it, or it shines in your eyes blinding you from finding anything in the otherwise dark space. I was thinking about putting a light on the liftgate that would shine down into the storage area when open. Has anyone tried anything like this? Maybe a LED light strip where the indentation for flare storage is. Pick up power from the power liftgate button light.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
Sounds like it’s possible. You’d just have to get the BCM to agree with the amp load increase. Resistor maybe?

Billib

Buick Ownership
TourX

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Get a rechargeable motion sensor activated LED strip and stick it to either the shade, the liftgate or the backside of the back seats.
The cargo area has a 12V plug where you can connect the recharge cables. But remember it is always on, so it will drain the battery if left connected.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
The rear storage light is terribly located. Anything in the back blocks it, or it shines in your eyes blinding you from finding anything in the otherwise dark space. I was thinking about putting a light on the liftgate that would shine down into the storage area when open. Has anyone tried anything like this? Maybe a LED light strip where the indentation for flare storage is. Pick up power from the power liftgate button light.
I used to have a Forester before the TourX, it suffered the same flaw for the cargo light. There was an aftermarket light that fit in the tailgate in place of a plastic panel, problem was when you were standing in the back unloading a lot of the light was blocked by your body. The more useful but difficult solution people did was to put a light in the ceiling, in that case a Subaru part but they used LEDs and connected to the stock light circuit which was also replaced with an LED and that didn't have any effect on the BCM being such low draw. You have to be brave enough to cut into the headliner but done correctly it looked stock. I've not researched which GM fixture would be a nice fit or how hard it would be to route the wires but if I was going to do it that would probably be what I'd look at doing.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
That has me thinking...

Hood lights had I think mercury activated switch.
I'm not a fan of motion activated, but having it activate when the liftgate was up would be sick.
With an optional cutoff on/off toggle even better.

I think someone added some lights to their sedan and posted photos here. Light strip on both sides above the wheelwells?
(or maybe it's from another car forum)

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Totally agree, cargo area lighting is less-than-desirable. For now, I've gone the cheap and easy route, and use the rechargeable LED camping, and bicycle lights. Not the best, but sure helps until a better solution gets done. The little LED tube-mount, white bicycle light stays in there now, ready anytime, almost anywhere.

ODannyBoy

Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
So here is what I'm trying first. I snow ski, and with lodges closed during the pandemic, we have to boot up in the car. This is a 17inch rechargable battery power LED that fits in the liftgate depression for a safety triangle. It can be either push button on/off, or motion activated in dark conditions. It is also dimmable so I can find the right level of brightness. Now, I'm holding it in with the straps on the door, but if I like the position I'll switch to the tape adhesive magnetic strip. closet light1.jpg The light switch and motion/light detector happen to be right where the straps are.
closet light2.jpg

Get your turbo buick badge right here!