Light sensor question

Tlager31

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal T
I've had my 2013 for about 5 months and so far it has been flawless. Have not been back to the dealer for anything. Lately, I may have a problem with the light sensor. I park in my garage so I start each day with the radio dimmed and the lamps indicator on. A couple of times it has taken a long time for the radio to light up brightly even on a sunny day and for the light symbol to go off. Today, leaving for the first time around noon, after 3 minutes in the sun, it was still on. I put my hand over the sensor to "reset" it and when I took my hand away, the radio lit up.

I realize that the angle of the sun is very low this time of year. Are there any known issues with the light sensor?

Edit: I don't have tinted windows. It doesn't happen all the time.

Last edited:

wnyregalgs12

Buick Ownership
Buick
I've had my 2013 for about 5 months and so far it has been flawless. Have not been back to the dealer for anything. Lately, I may have a problem with the light sensor. I park in my garage so I start each day with the radio dimmed and the lamps indicator on. A couple of times it has taken a long time for the radio to light up brightly even on a sunny day and for the light symbol to go off. Today, leaving for the first time around noon, after 3 minutes in the sun, it was still on. I put my hand over the sensor to "reset" it and when I took my hand away, the radio lit up.

I realize that the angle of the sun is very low this time of year. Are there any known issues with the light sensor?

Are your windows tinted? After I had my windows done I always notice that the lights come on earlier and stay on longer.

I see you edited your post to say you don't have tint.

Last edited:

TheGS

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2012 Regall GS
I also park in the garage and usually within a minute of rolling out the lights turn off. Overcast days are really hit and miss but i just figured it was my tinted windshield.

Detroit, USA

Hi Tlager31,

Please let me know if you would like a technician to take a look at it. I would be happy to schedule an appointment for you at your local dealership.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Tlager31

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal T
Hi Tlager31,

Please let me know if you would like a technician to take a look at it. I would be happy to schedule an appointment for you at your local dealership.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Jessica, thanks. This isn't a pressing problem and maybe I will ask about it at my oil change. I will just watch it awhile and see if I can put a pattern together Today there was no problem, but I left the house in the opposite direction - maybe it is the angle of the sun. I am now wondering if my EZ-pass transponder is creating a shadow over the light sensor this time of year?

Last edited:
Detroit, USA
Jessica, thanks. This isn't a pressing problem and maybe I will ask about it at my oil change. I will just watch it awhile and see if I can put a pattern together Today there was no problem, but I left the house in the opposite direction - maybe it is the angle of the sun. I am now wondering if my EZ-pass transponder is creating a shadow over the light sensor this time of year?
You're welcome! It's a possibility it could be from different lighting angles. Please keep me posted!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

CincySpeedRacer

Cincinnati
Buick Ownership
Past: 2013 Buick Regal GS 6M

I have the exact same symptoms. No tint here either. My problem is that when I'm wearing sunglasses I can't make out anything on the screen. I agree that it's the sun's low angle, but it's still annoying.

Tlager31

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal T
I have the exact same symptoms. No tint here either. My problem is that when I'm wearing sunglasses I can't make out anything on the screen. I agree that it's the sun's low angle, but it's still annoying.

I think I may have this figured out. In Va, they put your inspection sticker to right of center at the bottom of the windshield. Right where it makes a shadow on the light sensor this time of year. :headbang:

fgriff1

Contributing Member
Rockland, NY
Buick Ownership
Buick 2012 Regal GS, 06 C6, 08 G6 GXP
I turn the auto lights off when starting in the garage so the headlights stay off (sunny days). when I do this I notice that the LCD stays dim even with the auto lights off, until the sensor realizes is daytime, which takes a few minutes. I'm guessing that the sensor for the headlights also controls the LCD no matter what lighting option you are in (off, or auto).

I have read that this is same issue with other GM cars (C7 Corvette for one)

alphabets

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
Bumping an old thread. This is my only concern on my recently purchased 2014 Regal. It seems the light sensor is very sensitive and the headlamps kick on more often than they should. The problem with that of course is that it makes it very difficult to see the screen and displays inside of the car since they dim. I do not have my windows tinted and I do not have anything blocking the sensor on the dash. It really is annoying. It kicks on for seemingly no reason. 9am and bright...3pm and bright...they kick on. And god-forbid I go under a bright for 1/2 of a second. They will kick on and stay on for minutes. Again, it's not the lamps kicking on that bothers me, it's that in turn that makes all of my interior displays dim and very hard to see. When i have sunglasses on then they are impossible to see. That in itself is another anomaly. If I'm wearing sunglasses, it's obviously bright out! Why are they kicking on?

Anyone else have sensitive light sensors?

Also, I am planning on getting my windows tinted in the near future, not the windshield, but the other 5. I'm dreading how bad the sensor might act up then. I feel like setting a mini flashlight up against the sensor and turning it on when I get in the car every morning. It's that bad.

DansGS

Greater Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Regal GS AWD; Frost White
Bumping an old thread. This is my only concern on my recently purchased 2014 Regal. It seems the light sensor is very sensitive and the headlamps kick on more often than they should. The problem with that of course is that it makes it very difficult to see the screen and displays inside of the car since they dim. I do not have my windows tinted and I do not have anything blocking the sensor on the dash. It really is annoying. It kicks on for seemingly no reason. 9am and bright...3pm and bright...they kick on. And god-forbid I go under a bright for 1/2 of a second. They will kick on and stay on for minutes. Again, it's not the lamps kicking on that bothers me, it's that in turn that makes all of my interior displays dim and very hard to see. When i have sunglasses on then they are impossible to see. That in itself is another anomaly. If I'm wearing sunglasses, it's obviously bright out! Why are they kicking on?

Anyone else have sensitive light sensors?

Also, I am planning on getting my windows tinted in the near future, not the windshield, but the other 5. I'm dreading how bad the sensor might act up then. I feel like setting a mini flashlight up against the sensor and turning it on when I get in the car every morning. It's that bad.

I just came across this older thread about this issue, as I started a new one recently. I've had my car for a little over a month, and it's driving me nuts! The light sensor is WAY too sensitive, with no adjustment available. I also am planning to get my 5 windows tinted, so I'm sure it's going to get worse. GM, if you're listening, at least allow an adjustment for the light sensitivity of the sensor like some other cars!

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
This lack of adjustability has 'Federal Motor Vehicle Requirement' written all over it.

Can anyone find an example of a late-model car (maybe 2014 or newer) that allows this to be user-adjusted? I've only seen this adjustment on older cars... perhaps pre-2010.

DansGS

Greater Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Regal GS AWD; Frost White
This lack of adjustability has 'Federal Motor Vehicle Requirement' written all over it.

Can anyone find an example of a late-model car (maybe 2014 or newer) that allows this to be user-adjusted? I've only seen this adjustment on older cars... perhaps pre-2010.

Yes, my previous car, a 2014 Infiniti Q50.

rodslinger

Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
14 Regal GS
I was thinking about this the other day. I really wish these manufacturers would separate the dash lighting from the headlights and use something similar to modern phones. Let the interior lights adjust separately and automatically to ambient light. I turn down the dash lights at night but during the day if the lights come on you can't see them. Gotta adjust them again. It's a never ending battle adjusting them up and down.

With all the features these cars have you think this would have been a no-brainer for them to implement years back.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!