Location of bulb for head light switch light (1995 Buick Century)

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello All,
Does anybody know the location of the bulb the lights the piece of fiber optic cable for the headlight switch on a 1995 Buick Century? It went out many years ago and the last time I was in the dash I did not have enough time to trace it. This would be the light in that tiny square right about the headlight switch and below the dash light dimmer wheel. Any help would be great, thanks!

- Doug

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The headlight switch is not internally lit- I'm not sure any of them are except for the defrost switch.

Attached are some pictures from when I had to replace the switch itself (I did not get a good picture of where the fiber was going, though it probably would not have mattered since it disappears shortly behind the dash in a loom. In the picture the fiber optic cable is the one with the ferrule on the end, that attaches to the hole in the dashboard.

Attachments

• IMG_20150605_231916.jpg
    IMG_20150605_231916.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20150605_230948.jpg
    IMG_20150605_230948.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 4

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
I don't think that is fiber optic. Might just be a wire and micro bulb. Back when there was Radio Shack, they used to sell very small bulbs. People referred to them as grain of wheat bulbs,

I have that type of lighting in my 98 Riviera. There are bulbs like that in the door panel. One bulb lights a well where the interior door handle is, and the other is in the interior door grab bar. That bulb shines light onto the portion of the door panel with the window/lock switches etc.
LED5.JPG

I used some LED bulbs to replace the grab handle lights. They come in different colors. I used green to match the lighting in the dash. Works great.

That's what I would do in your case.

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't think that is fiber optic. Might just be a wire and micro bulb. Back when there was Radio Shack, they used to sell very small bulbs. People referred to them as grain of wheat bulbs,

I have that type of lighting in my 98 Riviera. There are bulbs like that in the door panel. One bulb lights a well where the interior door handle is, and the other is in the interior door grab bar. That bulb shines light onto the portion of the door panel with the window/lock switches etc.
View attachment 34349

I used some LED bulbs to replace the grab handle lights. They come in different colors. I used green to match the lighting in the dash. Works great.

That's what I would do in your case.

Hi Larry,
I did check that (oddly enough I have something similar in my Century's doors as you have in your Rivera - they are super small, almost Christmas lights - those still run as I tend to use the heat off those bulbs to keep my hand warm).

Though it is indeed a fiber optic cable, there are some references to it though I've never located the location of the bulb. I did try to shine a light around the underside of the dash to see but it must be tucked away somewhere and I didn't want to rip apart the entire dash, I figured it might be something easy to get to from below.

- Doug

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
There might be something about it in a Factory Service Manual. If I intend to keep a car, I always buy the Factory Manuals. They are a great investment.

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
There might be something about it in a Factory Service Manual. If I intend to keep a car, I always buy the Factory Manuals. They are a great investment.

Hi Larry,
Yeah - got one of those too - though I'll go over it again, I have check the lamps and switches section many times, though on other occasions I've found information in other parts. I might try to trace it from under the dash if I can. It might be one of those things, I'm not sure what is was with 1995 but trying to find certain things out about this car has been maddening since there are enough differences between 1994 and 1996 that nothing adds up.

- Doug

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I did go through the sections around switches and bulbs, harnesses, etc., and this way the only occurrence of it I could find. Nothing in the replacement bulb section, or wiring harness section that I could see. Attached is the instance from the shop manual if that helps anybody.

Attachments

• PXL_20211118_195828846.jpg
    PXL_20211118_195828846.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 2

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
I managed to pull the end of the bulb/fiber optic assembly through the front of the dash and replace the bulb. Went ahead and left it in the unused cavity. I had the trim piece / enclosure around the light switch removed to do it, IIRC.

Attachments

• Assembled.jpg
    Assembled.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 6

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I managed to pull the end of the bulb/fiber optic assembly through the front of the dash and replace the bulb. Went ahead and left it in the unused cavity. I had the trim piece / enclosure around the light switch removed to do it, IIRC.

Hi Jerry,
Excellent! That is exactly what I needed to know - and much thanks for the picture as well since I can keep an eye open for it!

- Doug

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
Hi Jerry,
Excellent! That is exactly what I needed to know - and much thanks for the picture as well since I can keep an eye open for it!

- Doug
You are quite welcome. It took me a while to find that old pic.
It uses a 194 bulb. It would be a good place for an LED retrofit bulb.

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
You are quite welcome. It took me a while to find that old pic.
It uses a 194 bulb. It would be a good place for an LED retrofit bulb.

That's for sure - between the location of this bulb and remembering this light was always on it'll be well worth the upgrade!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
Nice updates, but curious about the two floor switches as I only have seen one for the highbeam switch.
Very observent, LOL. The second one is for my Gear Vendors Overdive. It is an on/off switch. The red light to the left of my smaller gauge is the Gear Vendor indicator light. It goes green when the overdrive shifts. It automatically comes in at 45 MPH, but I can turn it off and on with that second dimmer switch.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Seen enough cars at shows over the years, but every once in awhile I still see something that's a surprise. Sometimes a factory option and sometimes aftermarket but done cleanly to look factory which yours does, thanks for the response.

TheDougO

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I converted all the entire interior lighting in my 70 GS455 Stage1 to LED. The dash uses 194 bulbs. The ones I bought are not polarity specific, and they dim.

View attachment 34363
Hi Larry,
Looks great! Do you remember want brand of LED bulbs you used? There seems to be a bunch out there and figured I would ask, might help with replacement later down the road.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners