Locked Keys in Trunk

gorgerit

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2011 Enclave and a 2010 LaCrosse
I thought this happened to someone else but, couldn't find it so I'm starting a new thread. My wife had my LaCrosse yesterday and popped the trunk, tossed her bag in and closed the trunk. Of course her keys were in her bag and then she couldn't open the trunk again. I called On Star and they unlocked it for her. Ironically, I did the same thing with a rental Chevy Cruze in Chicago this past week except the trunk didn't lock and I even think the horn sounded to tell me my keys were in the car. Did GM fix this in other models or even in later year LaCrosses? Mine is a 2010. On a side note, the Chevy Cruze I had was a nice, albeit small, car (with push button start of course).

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
We've tried to lock the keys in our '12 and it wouldn't let us. It does like a triple beep and doesn't lock.

I did however recently lock my keys in my wife's Saturn (ignition) just seconds after my wife locked her purse in the trunk. Kind of hilarious really. Both sets of keys locked in the car. I have been carrying a spare key in my wallet for my blue Saturn for 8 years but we were driving the silver one which I didn't have a spare for (now I do). Wife called one of her work girls to come rescue us. On-Star no help there of course :)

H_Charles

Buick Ownership
2011 LaCrosse CXS, 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is, 2011 Acura MDX
Happened to me!

Design flaw on earlier models,fixed in 2012 apparently. I didn't have OnStar, so I had to have my wife bring the spare.

Not sure what idiot thought up this system. You can come up to your locked car and trunk, unlock the trunk by opening latch, and as soon as you close the trunk, it immediately locks with your key in your bag.
No beep. No warning delay. Nothing.
Oh, and even though your key fob is inches from the trunk latch inside the trunk, the trunk won't recognize it to open it.
I guess for all those people that want to lock their keys in their trunk.

At least Buick recognized this flaw and fixed it on newer models. I now have to desperately try and rmember not to put my keys in my gym bag when I go work out for fear of it happening again.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Hey H-

It was after your fiasco that I tried it on my keys. I'm sorry it happened to you but it was the catalyst for me learning something new about my car, thanks for sharing your misery.

Last edited:

killrwheels

South Florida
Buick Ownership
10 Lacrosse CXS, 08 CTS DI, 06 SRX, 05 Vette Z51
Most Buick and GM models will not lock doors "if" it recognizes a fob in the car. It should give a warning toot (actually 3). If you have traditional keyset locks then it only works if left in the ignition.

ragincajun

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2011 LaCrosse and cannot lock the key fob in it either. I did turn off the warning (3 beeps of the horn) just because it was irritating when getting out at the gas pump, etc.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
There is a difference between the inside of the car and the trunk.
You throw your fob in the trunk and it can get locked inside.

GolfingDuo

Central Massachusetts
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
tonight I am going home and trying this. I will put one of my fobs in the trunk and see what happens. Post result tomorrow.

LRay

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse CXS
I have a 2011 LaCrosse and cannot lock the key fob in it either. I did turn off the warning (3 beeps of the horn) just because it was irritating when getting out at the gas pump, etc.
It can so lock in the truck of the car. If the car is running IDK but if the car is off and doors locked, it will lock the fob in the trunk of the 2011 Lacrosse CXS.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Does anyone here really know how this is supposed to work? I assumed (foolish I know) that by 2015 this issue had been resolved by GM.

I thought that my '15 LaCrosse had built in features that precluded the possibility of locking key-fob in trunk. Seems to me I tested this once, along with trying to lock the keys in the cabin area just to see what happened. The doors automatically unlock themselves if the key-fob is in the cabin. If the key-fob is in the trunk, it doesn't automatically unlock, but the trunk (or car doors) can be opened by pressing their respective electric latch buttons. This is how I though it was supposed to work.

A few nights ago and a hundred miles from home, I tossed my overnight bag in the trunk and forgot the keys were in it. The car had already been started remotely and was still running. The door switches would not operate, nor would the trunk latch. After several minutes of trying all four doors and the trunk latch repeatedly, I was still locked out of my running car.

I was in the process of calling OnStar to see if they could unlock the doors. Before I even found the number, I heard a 'click'. To my relief, I found the driver's door had unlocked.

Anyone know if this is normal? Is there some kind of delay built into the system? What am I missing? I don't see anything addressing this in the Owner's Manual. Key-fob has fresh battery.

Thanks

FD611V

A spot somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
I learned many, many years ago... in fact that was in 1954 when I bought my first car not to lock the keys in the car. Since, and every new car I buy, I make an extra key to carry in my wallet. These spare key unlock the door and the trunk. I don't trust any "new idea, or design" that car manufacturers put on their cars for owner's convenience. There's many a fool that trusted key fobs.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well... I appreciate the rapid reply. And I agree with, and try to adhere to your philosophy. Unfortunately, your response doesn't really address my question.

You see my question is not about "trusting key fobs". I did not intend to lock the key in the trunk. My question is about the system design and how it is supposed to function in the event of unintentionally locking keys in the trunk.

The suggestion of making copies to carry in ones wallet is an amusing one. I not only can recall the days when a thin metal key was state-of-the-art, but I have extra copies of just such keys... for my '59 Ford. I've never owned a wallet big enough to handle a late-model key-fob.

Like you, I'm not really big on every "new idea, or design" that comes down the pike. It is nice though, to have a new-fangled home security system that tells the kids to stay off of my lawn.

FD611V

Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
When you start trusting electronics, that is when a person is stranded and require service personnel to solve the problem. That is if you don't have the knowledge to solve it yourself. I own a 1933 Pontiac that I drive around the city to keep the battery charged, and I trust that car more then I trust my 2006 Lacrosse and the '96 Chev. Tahoe. It has no door locks, a push button truck latch, and manual hood release latch. Spark plugs are wired to the distributor, and to a coil, and voltage regulator and from there to a ignition switch. Very simple to fix with a screw driver, pair of pliers, and 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" wrenches.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
And a 1933 single master cylinder with drum brakes, but because it is simpler it's also a lot easier to steal. Coils never go bad, points always work, voltage regulators never just quit yes sir it's a perfect world LOL.

FD611V

Buick Ownership
I have a feeling you are much younger than me. I just hit 89 back on De. 15th, and I may have an edge on fixing automobiles without the help from some inexperience dealer service dept. One time back in Oct. 1953 when I was in US Navy station in San Diego, Ca having just bought a 1954 Mercury and was leaving San Diego on US 88 east Yuma, AZ and made the mistake taking a short cut on a small road going north towards Flagstaff and the road turned into a rubboard surface and the radiator spun a leak. Happen, with luck a desert type older gentleman came by in a jeep loaded with ten gallon cream cans full of water. I told him the radiator spun a leak and I was at least 80 miles from the nearest service station to get it fixed. He said he has a radiator that came out of a '53 Ford and it might fit in my Mercury. About half hour later here he arrives with that radiator. Luck would have it that I had just bought a 180 piece of Craftsman tools couple months before and with some work I removed the radiator and installed the Ford one. I would guess Ford Motor Company knew I might have such a problem one day and that radiator would fit in a number of automobiles. From that day, I made the point that I could and would work on my cars. I've bought twenty nine new automobiles since and not one of them was ever in a dealer's service dept. to be repaired

Human

Buick Ownership
Present: 2013 Lacrosse hybrid. Past: 1984 Century Custom (1992-96); 1977 Skylark coupe (1983-88).
I learned many, many years ago... in fact that was in 1954 when I bought my first car not to lock the keys in the car. Since, and every new car I buy, I make an extra key to carry in my wallet. These spare key unlock the door and the trunk. I don't trust any "new idea, or design" that car manufacturers put on their cars for owner's convenience. There's many a fool that trusted key fobs.
I too have traditionally carried a spare key in my wallet but not with my LaCrosse. The integrated key and fob combo is just too chunky to fit in my wallet. But it was good, cheap insurance with my older cars.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
No recalls or warranty repairs on 29 cars, must be convenient to purchase that many perfect vehicles that never went into the dealership for service. Unfortunately most people would let the dealer spend their time and money on those recall and warranty repairs, but to each their own.

Back on topic, there are other posts I remember seeing regarding the key-fob being left in the vehicle and it had some type of alert but can't recall what it was posted under.

FD611V

Buick Ownership
I too have traditionally carried a spare key in my wallet but not with my LaCrosse. The integrated key and fob combo is just too chunky to fit in my wallet. But it was good, cheap insurance with my older cars.
The factory key's now have a tiny computer clip embedded into the key that is covered (molded) plastic part. Just take the key to Ace Hardware or other place that can make keys. This key will unlock the car, but it won't start the car. Many years ago people would put a spare key in a magnet metal match box type container and put it under the car someplace to have in case it is needed. Of course that is out of the question now due to most parts of all cars are plastic or fiberglass.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The factory key's now have a tiny computer clip embedded into the key that is covered (molded) plastic part. Just take the key to Ace Hardware or other place that can make keys. This key will unlock the car, but it won't start the car. Many years ago people would put a spare key in a magnet metal match box type container and put it under the car someplace to have in case it is needed. Of course that is out of the question now due to most parts of all cars are plastic or fiberglass.
As you say, "This key will unlock the car, but it wont' start the car." I guess that would be an advantage if you were stranded in inclement weather. You could at least sit in the car waiting for the tow-truck, or a spare key to be delivered.

And if you were to hide a complete and operational key somewhere under the car, anyone passing by could unlock the car just by pressing the unlock buttons on the door handles. The only way I could see that scenario working would be to hide the key-fob without a battery in it. Then hide the battery somewhere inside the car.?.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
This will open any locked vehicle but it may be a little uncomfortable keeping it in your wallet.
bricks-100048562-64_1000.jpg

Get your turbo buick badge right here!