• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Looking at a TourX for my next car

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Hi from Ventura County CA.

I've joined because I'm buying a new car soon and I'm seriously considering Buick. The Regal TourX in particular has caught my eye. So I wanted to ask people who've bought it things that may not be as easily answered in online reviews or dealership test drives. Looking forward to learning more about these cars and the people who drive them.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
You’ll find an abundance of enthusiastic TourX supporters and owners on this site (I’m one of them). I traded a 2018 Colorado Z-71 crew cab with 5,800 miles (I bought it new) in on my 2019, and I’m much happier in the Buick. There are idiosyncrasies to every vehicle; the TourX isn’t immune, but none of them have been a deal breaker for anyone as far as I know. Let me put it to you another way: this car will have WAY more than 5,800 miles on it before I even think about replacing it.

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
My first question is about the cabin. I know opinions vary widely about the quality of its materials and layout, but I've sat in it and I like it just fine. What I want to know is if it stays quiet. My current car, a 2006 Mazda 3, has always had an annoying interior rattle that I can never quite get rid of. It is especially noticeable in cold or wet weather. Is that something that has cropped up in the new Regal? And if so, is there something that can be done to fix it?

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
My first question is about the cabin. I know opinions vary widely about the quality of its materials and layout, but I've sat in it and I like it just fine. What I want to know is if it stays quiet. My current car, a 2006 Mazda 3, has always had an annoying interior rattle that I can never quite get rid of. It is especially noticeable in cold or wet weather. Is that something that has cropped up in the new Regal? And if so, is there something that can be done to fix it?
I have found the cabin very quiet. I have just over 7k miles, and I have two rattles.

One is the cargo cover where it mounts on the passenger side. I have fiddled with it, but haven’t been able to stop it. I know others here have solved it with household stuff (like bubble wrap). As I don’t need it for everyday driving, I just take it out and leave it home.

The other rattle I have is on driver side B-pillar, right where the seatbelt comes out. I will see if the dealer can fix it - it’s slight, but as it’s right behind my ear I do hear it.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
My advice is to ask dealer to give you the car for 24 hours. I did and was able to see how it really worked for me, the dog and some of my stuff. Just an example, I’d have never known about how cool the the ambient lighting was until I drove it at night. I like the interior a lot. I don’t see a lot of cost cutting there except for molded stitching on the dashboard. So far no rattles for me except the cargo cover and items in the back like to slide around but now I have a cargo fence which fixed the latter.

Last edited:

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Thanks for the insights. After dealing with cabin rattles for years in my car I know I'd have little tolerance for them in a new one but those sound manageable if they pop up in one I buy new.

Given how few of these are sold, how did some of you get the one you wanted? Did you have to travel very far? And how easy was it to get a good deal? In my case, there are 3 Buick dealers in my county and each has only 0 to 2 TourX's in stock at any time. Or I could drive down to LA to find a better selection but I was hoping to keep it local. An Essence would be nice but I would probably be happy with a Preferred. Either way, I'll need to get the best deal possible.

The Shark

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence Rioja Red Metallic
My TourX has a little over 5k miles and it's pretty rattle free, most of the time when I hear a rattle or noise it caused by something in the car like a drink or package. I'm with Saab93driver, ask the dealer to let you have the car for a day, my dealer was more than happy for me to take the car overnight.

If you are looking for something specific you may have to travel or if you are looking for the best deal. I found a really good deal from a dealer about 150 miles from where I live and used it as a bargaining chip with the local Buick dealer that actually had the car I wanted. Check both the Essence and the Preferred before you buy, the Essence has some really nice features not available on the Preferred. You don't want to buy something and regret it later. There are also some 2018's still at dealers here in NC, one thing to look at which I wasn't aware of until I found this forum was the early 2018's have the red needle gauges which look very different, also the infotainment software is an earlier version.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
The 2018+ Regal is very refined all around. Not much to complain about.

My only complain is not from the car itself, but from HPTuners not supporting this vehicle, so I can't tune it myself.

Seems almost bulletproof to me.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Find a dealer with the color and package you like and focus on that. Best deals on these are right off the dealers lot because they want to move them. The cabin is very quiet, so quiet you'll hear a few rattles here and there (like the rear cargo shade) which I did fix with small bubble wrap that stopped the metal on metal rattle.

The 8 speed transmission still bugs me. My driving isn't all highway and on roads with folks driving the speed limit and you're stuck behind them @ 40-45 mph, you'll get stuck in the 'lug zone' where the tranny puts you in 7th gear---sometimes 8th gear--way too high. Easy, shift to manual and get the tranny into 3rd or 4th where it belongs. However, if you forget the tranny is in manual mode, easy to do by the way--- and you come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign, the tranny shifts down to 1 and guess what, it doesn't remember the previous gear you manually had it in- like I did twice yesterday taking back roads home from Lancaster PA memorial day festivities.- My last car, a Toyota, would remember. So I'm revving the engine in 1st gear almost hitting redline before I remember to either shift or go to automatic 😡.

Other than that, it's been a great car after 7,000 miles.

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Interesting tidbit about the transmission ntorch. I remember reading about how the 9-speed in the Sportback was supposed to be better, but when I test drove both the Sportback and the TourX back to back, the Sportback felt slower. But I think I actually like the idea of finding the ideal gear myself. I've been driving a 4-speed auto for the last 10 years and driving new cars has opened up a new world of 8 and 9-speeds and CVTs with paddle shifters so even if a manual isn't an option I'm still guaranteed more driving engagement the way I see it.

So I guess my next question for those of you who own a Sportback or a TourX is why did you choose the one and not the other? Because after reading reviews I expected to enjoy the Sportback more with its 9-speed and lighter weight FWD, and yet for some reason I felt better driving the TourX. My wife agreed too, albeit only as a passenger. Not trying to second-guess our first impressions, just wondering how other people found it.

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
Interesting tidbit about the transmission ntorch. I remember reading about how the 9-speed in the Sportback was supposed to be better, but when I test drove both the Sportback and the TourX back to back, the Sportback felt slower. But I think I actually like the idea of finding the ideal gear myself. I've been driving a 4-speed auto for the last 10 years and driving new cars has opened up a new world of 8 and 9-speeds and CVTs with paddle shifters so even if a manual isn't an option I'm still guaranteed more driving engagement the way I see it.

So I guess my next question for those of you who own a Sportback or a TourX is why did you choose the one and not the other? Because after reading reviews I expected to enjoy the Sportback more with its 9-speed and lighter weight FWD, and yet for some reason I felt better driving the TourX. My wife agreed too, albeit only as a passenger. Not trying to second-guess our first impressions, just wondering how other people found it.
I personally dislike AWD in general. I had AWD on two of my cars and even if I had to move to Alaska for work again, I would keep my FWD Regal. I would just add winter tires. So I picked Sportback for better mileage and less maintenance, plus I saved on the price of the car and I would expect it should be lighter weight compared to TourX. Now if I had lived in Europe, I would get the wagon Insignia with FWD, I absolutely love the way TourX looks and I do appreciate extra space in the back, but I just could not justify paying extra for AWD and paying extra for fuel and paying extra for maintenance.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
I think the Sportback vs TourX is purely a personal decision...I like the Sportback but for me, I liked the wagon a bit better. Guess I'm just a wagon guy. I think I could've been perfectly happy with a Sportback, though. For me, the wagon won because you just don't see many wagons.

I'd second the mention above of looking closely at options packages to see if you'd rather have an Essence or other. Or maybe you'd like the SB Avenir? Love love love that car. I've got half a mind to get those quilted seats put into my TourX...I drive my cars for 10+ years so it would be totally worth it.

Shopping is much easier if you go on autotrader or cars.com and hit the very useful filters if you haven't tried that yet. I learned quickly to look at the msrp (small print) to get a quick idea of options packages. 40k+ means it has some combo of a roof, and DCI and/or II. If you hit the "window sticker" link you can quickly see the packages on it without wading through all the extraneous crap.

You can also tell a lot from the photos - red needles vs white was mentioned, although I did read of someone with red needles in the newer UX (vs white needles). 2018 UX has the red needles in separate binnacles; what we call 2018.5 has the white needles in a different layout and UX. I don't know that one is better than the other, I think it's just one of those personal preference things.

Also in dealer photos: you can also take a quick look at the left button set on the steering wheel to see if that car has Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) which is on one of the safety packages...if that left button has icons at 12, 3, 6 and 9, then it has ACC, and heated wheel, etc. I think they changed up the packages for 2019, so be sure to read carefully no matter what car you're shopping.

Be aware that some dealers add a front license plate bracket and/or other sometimes useless bs. Mine had that and my state doesn't even require a front plate, it was just a money grab for the dealer to add on $60 for probably a 50-cent part. (You can see options like this in that "window sticker" section on those sites, and/or check the photos.) I didn't realize it was there until after I had purchased the car which leaves me with 3 stupid holes in my front bumper. I might get a Euro plate and put it there just to cover the holes.

I found my TourX locally but also utilized a dealer price in Minneapolis to negotiate with my local dealer. They did just fine on it though they sure cried a lot. Dealers are so completely full of it; I have yet to meet an honest one that I'd have no qualms buying from again. TourX is not selling well, so I'd imagine you could just name your price and they'd take it. I've seen loaded Essences going for $27-28k. Got mine for $31k, and I'm fine with that.

I've also bought cars by driving/flying to other states before...there are some amazing deals to be had in the Midwest that in some cases make buying here worth it. It can be a fun adventure, too, make an awesome roadtrip vacation out of it. Or you can just hire an auto transport company usually for around $1k to trailer it to you. Search this board for that if it has appeal, there are posts on it.

My only sorta-regret is not getting the pano roof. That will probably fade in the withering KS summer that is coming soon, though! Love my TourX, such a cool ride. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
@Rockman1138 or anyone looking: here's one in Vegas, maybe worth a look. 2018, new, Smoked Pearl/Shale, pano, S&S + DC1 (lane keep, etc not the adaptive cruise, I forget which package is which) ...I bet you could get it for $28-30k.

edit: it says "page unavailable" above but the link worked for me

I noticed the info said "price does not include" window tint and other accessories...the windows are after-factory tinted, yeah... but not sure what exactly is meant by that wording. If it were me I'd make them take off another $1k just for daring to put something stupid like that in their ad. You're gonna advertise a price that's not the real price? That's more of that car dealer bs.

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Ok that's about what I was figuring when it came to finding the right one for the right price. Looks like it should be doable if not exactly easy.

I'm curious, did most of you who bought the new Regal do a lot of cross-shopping or did you know pretty early on that it was the one you wanted? I've been looking at other mid to full-size cars too. The new Honda Accord in particular can't be ignored, and the 2019 Nissan Altima SR was surprisingly good. But I keep coming back to the TourX.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I'm curious, did most of you who bought the new Regal do a lot of cross-shopping or did you know pretty early on that it was the one you wanted?

I had it narrowed down to the Accord 2.0T, Ridgeline or Pilot (Yes, very different vehicles). If the Accord came in a wagon and 2.0T engine, I would have been all over that car like white on rice. (Haven't driven the new Altima, but it looks great. A few years back I drove the 3.5L Altima with CVT and THAT was a nice combination).

I test drove the 3.6L Outback and it was *yawn* OK.

I was taught by my parents - don't buy American cars unless you are looking unreliability!

But I kept on coming back to the TourX, too.

Yes, admittedly the large discounts helped with my decision, but after 7 months of ownership and 12K miles I have no regrets. I love driving the car and also love having people want to talk to me about it (had 2 people stop me today).

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
It came down to value/bang for buc I cross shopped Audi All Road, impossible to find and expensive, Volvo V60 and 90 - ruled out, dealer too far away. 2020 Outback XT interesting but I’d not buy 1st year. The Buick styling and overall package is pretty sweet. I was waiting for cooled Seats in the Buick but I don’t think we’ll ever see thst offered so I just went for it. I did toy with idea of a GS, that has all the equipment I’d like, but owning a wagon at least once in my life trumped that. A GS version of TourX would be close to perfect. Honestly, this is maybe one of 3 cars I’ve owned in my 52 years I’d like to buy a 2nd one, put it in storage, and pull out when this one is used up. Not perfect but that good. We’ll see if that feeling lasts.

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
It's a Buick so maybe not thrilling by any means, but satisfying, serene, competent, sort of quick, I get more impressed every day.
Remember that this is usually true. The car you are looking forward to is usually you next one.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I had it narrowed down to the Accord 2.0T, Ridgeline or Pilot (Yes, very different vehicles). If the Accord came in a wagon and 2.0T engine, I would have been all over that car like white on rice. (Haven't driven the new Altima, but it looks great. A few years back I drove the 3.5L Altima with CVT and THAT was a nice combination).

I test drove the 3.6L Outback and it was *yawn* OK.

I was taught by my parents - don't buy American cars unless you are looking unreliability!

But I kept on coming back to the TourX, too.

Yes, admittedly the large discounts helped with my decision, but after 7 months of ownership and 12K miles I have no regrets. I love driving the car and also love having people want to talk to me about it (had 2 people stop me today).
Totally with you on accord. Drove the sport 2.0 with stick and was wishing they still made the wagon...it would have been a lot of fun (hondata tune would make it a real sleeper).

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Ok that's about what I was figuring when it came to finding the right one for the right price. Looks like it should be doable if not exactly easy.

I'm curious, did most of you who bought the new Regal do a lot of cross-shopping or did you know pretty early on that it was the one you wanted? I've been looking at other mid to full-size cars too. The new Honda Accord in particular can't be ignored, and the 2019 Nissan Altima SR was surprisingly good. But I keep coming back to the TourX.
No disagreement, fine sedans.
The TourX besides being a very good car, has 3 big things going for it.
1. You should be able to buy one for far under MSRP. i.e. Cost effective, good value.
2. It's a Wagon, if that floats your boat.
3 Good Looking Car.

Pedal Commander