• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Looking at a TourX for my next car

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Ok that's about what I was figuring when it came to finding the right one for the right price. Looks like it should be doable if not exactly easy.

I'm curious, did most of you who bought the new Regal do a lot of cross-shopping or did you know pretty early on that it was the one you wanted? I've been looking at other mid to full-size cars too. The new Honda Accord in particular can't be ignored, and the 2019 Nissan Altima SR was surprisingly good. But I keep coming back to the TourX.
I was all over the map...initially hoping to downsize into a Golf R or Veloster N and also tested a Guilia just for the fun of it. My mid-life pipe dream was short when I finally faced the truth of how much crap I still haul - despite my kids being older (from 8th grade to college). Tried to score on a CPO BMW Sportwagon, couldn’t make the deal...then started over and drove an Accord Sport 2.0T and Maxima. Loved the Accord, but ultimately felt my need to haul stuff outweighed what a sedan would provide (and I’m partial to wagons/hatchbacks). My brother and my mother all own Subarus, very nice, reliable cars - but they were just meh for me.

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Something else I was just reminded of:

The start/stop function.
We really hate it in our Chrysler Pacifica but at least in that car it can be turned off. I didn't feel it at all when I took a test drive in the Sportback or TourX, though I did feel it in a Chevy Malibu. How livable is it in the Regal? Have you gotten used to it? Do you even notice it anymore? Or did you have to figure out a way to defeat it?

The Shark

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence Rioja Red Metallic

The start/stop function.
We really hate it in our Chrysler Pacifica but at least in that car it can be turned off. I didn't feel it at all when I took a test drive in the Sportback or TourX, though I did feel it in a Chevy Malibu. How livable is it in the Regal? Have you gotten used to it? Do you even notice it anymore? Or did you have to figure out a way to defeat it?
I know some on the forum don't like it but it really doesn't bother me, most of the time I don't even notice.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX

The start/stop function.
Doesn't bug me 9 times out of 10. Every once in a while it seems more noticeable. I don't mind it because I know it saves me some gas at long lights, and helps the environment a tad. All those tads could eventually add up imo. It can also be defeated by shifting into manumatic, or just tapping the brake, or I guess max a/c defeats it. There are also a few aftermarket gadjets available to defeat it, one that includes a tune.

Re other cars I shopped besides TourX:
- The new Acura RDX - Honda/Acura fan boy here but cut it pretty quick as msrp was substantially higher vs TourX for same equipment. Nice looking ride though I'm kinda' over SUVs.
- Subie Outback and CrossTrek - drove a CrossTrek, too slow for my taste. Outback to me isn't as attractive on many levels vs TourX. Plus I see about a million of each every time I go out. I've been reading here about the oil issues with the Subies, that is a real shock, and too bad.
- New Volvo V60/90 - vaporware for way too long, and pricing way too high. Gorgeous designs though. Sat in a used V90 recently; the dealer a few blocks from me somehow had a used one (still way overpriced) but I've yet to see a new one there. Never driven one.
- Venza! - only because it's fun to say out loud, LOL. I read an article once on these, said they were dog slow like the Subies. Gotta give Toyota credit for making a wagon-esque ute while they did, though.

I chose TourX because I like unique rides that not many others have; it's great looking and has a sporty character, simply incredible value/utility + real decent if not good mpg. Nothing else can touch all that TourX offers imo. Shame that we probably won't see it after '20.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
It's very livable. My mindset has shifted so now that when the car is idling at a stop I get annoyed. In my experience it's been very well implemented.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Doesn’t bug me at all...had this on my old car, and even though I could turn it off, I never did. A quick and short pulse of the break pedal will turn the car back on.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
While it might not have all of the answers you might be looking for, this write up that I did, covers a lot of ground, in all of the major areas, I think.

I have 15K on the car and don't have any rattles that I have noticed yet. I find the car to be substantially more quiet than the Civic hatch I traded in and the Outback, but not as quiet as my new RAM, oddly. I like the start stop most of the time. It can be a tad annoying in stop/go traffic, but a quick flip into M will defeat it. The trans can be a bit lethargic at times, but I find that if I mash it, I get the proper gearing 9/10 times. For the gas mileage I achieve, I'll take a little hit; this isn't a sports car after all.

My biggest gripes about the car- lack of cooled front seats, heated rear seats, and reclining rear seats. No puddle/welcome lights, no auto high beams or wipers, no spare tire, no tow hook holes even though the covers are present, no ability to switch to 'normal' cruise. With an MSRP of over 42K for my car, most of these items shouldn't be missing, when 3/4 of them came on my Civic that was 13K cheaper.

Things I love- The AWD system; likely the best I've ever had, out of BMW, MB, Acura, Ford, GMC, Subaru, etc. The radio UX, which is snappy and responsive. The cargo capacity and versatility with the 40/20/40 split seats. The pano roof and the Buick logo kick gate symbol, which is a cool party trick to show off haha. It's different and RARE.

Overall, it was the best blend of everything I was looking for. I required good price, active safety, good MPG when considering size and AWD, ample cargo space, and a comfortable and quiet cabin for my 60 mile work commute.

Buick Ownership
TourX Essence 2019
We have a totally optioned 2011 LaCrosse since new. Has 101k mi with no problems. Has been very enjoyable all around vehicle. Wife wanted new LaCrosse, but I wanted better storage. TourX was clearly best fit. Has all the basic features and options liked on the LaCrosse, but with lots of easy access cargo room, AWD, very cool look, and relatively low price. And as usual, I get her leftovers (the LaCrosse) which I am happy to take. Hoping the TourX lasts as well.

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Over the last two weekends, I've had a chance to revisit most of the cars on my short list. After driving the TourX, the Honda Accord Sport 1.5T, and the Nissan Altima 2.5 SR, my wife and I agree the TourX is the one we want. Not only does it have the best combination of comfort, performance, and functionality, but we're not likely to pay much more for it than the other cars, despite the Buick having the highest MSRP.

So it's good news and bad news. Good because I can make the purchase with confidence, bad because we can't buy until October and now the wait is going to feel longer.

Crispy

Buick Ownership
TourX
We are coming off of 25-30 years of Audi and Volvo wagons. My wife and I are both "car people" (I'm rabid). We are both very happy with this car (TourX). One thing I read that I was pleasantly surprised about was the interior materials. I read "hard" somewhere and was terrified I might get that hard plastic I've seen in some American cars. The dash is not that way and I find it fine. We live in the country with a mix of flat and mountain roads. I have found the transmission to be fine. Just really happy with the car. C.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
We have a totally optioned 2011 LaCrosse since new. Has 101k mi with no problems. Has been very enjoyable all around vehicle. Wife wanted new LaCrosse, but I wanted better storage. TourX was clearly best fit. Has all the basic features and options liked on the LaCrosse, but with lots of easy access cargo room, AWD, very cool look, and relatively low price. And as usual, I get her leftovers (the LaCrosse) which I am happy to take. Hoping the TourX lasts as well.
Those LaCrosse (LaCrosses? LOL) are gorgeous rides. Talked to a guy recently who was driving a new one, just a beautiful car. He also noticed my TourX and was like..."Heyyyyy...wait a minute...what's that?!" We had a good discussion on how Buick is just ON it with design and function.

Rockman1138

Ventura County CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Coming up on the time to finally pull the lever, and it seems there's not a lot of inventory available in this area. I could wait for the 2020s to come out but probably couldn't get a good enough deal to afford it.

I did find two new 2018 Essences with DC1, but here's the conundrum for me: one is Smoked Pearl Metallic but is a red-needle, and one is white-needle but Summit White. I prefer the darker color but don't want to have issues with the out-moded infotainment. I'll be using Android Auto for music and nav, though. So is there any other reason I might not want to pick the red needle?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Coming up on the time to finally pull the lever, and it seems there's not a lot of inventory available in this area. I could wait for the 2020s to come out but probably couldn't get a good enough deal to afford it.

I did find two new 2018 Essences with DC1, but here's the conundrum for me: one is Smoked Pearl Metallic but is a red-needle, and one is white-needle but Summit White. I prefer the darker color but don't want to have issues with the out-moded infotainment. I'll be using Android Auto for music and nav, though. So is there any other reason I might not want to pick the red needle?
You WANT the Red Needle car. The older UI seems to have less issues than the new Android-based system.

I run CarPlay on a Red Needle car and it's near flawless. The times I need to use the regular UI have been great. I also like the flair of the red needle cluster vs the white needle cluster.

#redneedlefanboy

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
So is there any other reason I might not want to pick the red needle?
Both interfaces have their bugs (though I was led to believe the older interface was a bit more temperamental, especially with respect to the posted speed limit feature in the DIC). The new interface has some additional features as well. For example, pressing the home button twice displays a split screen of the media/navigation. Since you intend to use Android Auto, that might not be a big deal. This is more of a 2018 vs. 2018.5 issue than red vs. white.

Best advice: Get in both, navigate through each infotainment system, and decide which one you like the most. As other's have already stated, it really comes down to personal preference. 2018 (left) vs 2018.5 (right):
1567008959985.png

I am in a 2019 GS, but I don't think the infotainment system is radically different from the 2.0T Regals. I am also drawing on the rest of the forum in my response here, so don't discredit me entirely... ;)

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Not saying getting my white needle is a regret at all, really love my car, but yeah there are a few minor bugs from time to time. For me, it's occasionally not recognizing my iPhone in BT mode — the BT will be lit up on the car screen, but won't play media from my phone. I did have the system "forget" and re-pair it last week and it hasn't misbehaved since then with a major road trip in between (24+ hours driving) so that method appears to be a fix.

Also, I think CarPlay used to recognize my SE right away, and now I have to hit the CP app on the car's screen to get into that mode. Guessing a recent iPhone update "broke" that ability. Again, not a huge deal, just an extra step.

As I say, these things are remedied in a few seconds by hitting a button or two on the infotainment screen and/or my phone. Guessing they'll eventually be fixed. Even if not, they're not a dealbreaker for me, just a minor inconvenience. I haven't had other infotainment or backup camera issues besides these — at least none I can think of right now.

Hope that helps you decide. Have you expanded your search further geographically? That may yield a car with the exact options/colors you want. Good luck! Either way, really, I have to say that 7 months and nearly 7k miles in, I'm still loving every day with the TourX. This road trip only reinforced that...extremely comfortable and capable car.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Also FWIW, I've never read anything here or elsewhere about the red-needled being outmoded or otherwise "less than." I'm wondering if any of the issues I mentioned even affect Android users like yourself -- or are strictly iOS bugs.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Disclaimer: I have a red needle car

So while it seems to be generally acknowledged the newer version has some bugs which are more prevalent than the old UI, i think there is one thing you should consider. I recently saw an interior shot of the new Corvette, it appears to be running the same UI as the white needle cars. If this is true there will be a much greater chance of them updating and fixing these issues. Those of us with Red needles are likely not going to see updates, so any bugs will remain. So if you can live with the bugs in a white needle you might be best served there and in the future you may be living bug free.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Have not run into any bugs with my red-needled car, maybe because I have the preferred model with S&S option. Since Gm will not even supply replacement parts for Regals in less then weeks, I would not hold my breath on any updates for red or white-haired stepchild vehicles.
As far as ASS, is concerned get a tune or module to disable.That will extend life of both yours and your cars components, since less stress is a good thing !

Last edited:
Pedal Commander