Looking to buy a GS - questions to current owners

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I’m looking at moving from a 2012 Hyundai Azera to a new vehicle and the GS is on my list. I will be taking one for a test drive tomorrrow but had some questions for current owners.

At night, is there any door lighting while driving? The Azera has blue led light in the door panel and it looked from one of Topher’s night drives, the GS also has subtle door lighting.

I know this is a relative question given driving style and speeds but what total range do you average on a full tank? In the Azera with a V6 I get an average of 26mpg and given a fuel tank of about 18 gal I can get 420 miles per tank.

How is the leather holding up after a year of use?

Does the head unit support wireless android auto or are you all plugging into usb to support AA?

Thanks

Gracie615

Hi Stig! Welcome to the forum.

About the door lighting. There is an what I call an "ambient strip" type of subtle lighting you will see at night that runs through the door panels and through the instrument panels. It's sort of a cool blue, but as far as I know, the color is not changeable as it is in other cars.

Full tank range. I have never had it on a trip quite that long, but I just filled the tank in ours tonight ( gauge was on Empty, Fill tank warning was on, it took 17 gals) and it tells me the full tank range is 369 miles. Actual highway MPG, approximately 27 I believe.

Leather? We've only had our car since August with only 5000 miles on it, so I can't answer your question.

The head unit supports Andriod Auto and Apple car play. If the car has the wireless charging, and you want to use the wireless charging, it may not support an earlier Pixel.

Enjoy the test drive! I hope you like the car. We love ours!

If you buy it, please share pictures...

Last edited:

Jack GS

Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
In order to use Android Auto in the GS, the phone must be plugged into the USB port in the center console.

Another note about the ambient lighting on the door and infotainment trim. First, I think it looks great! Secondly, the lighting can be adjusted with the dial used to brighten/dim the instrument cluster lights. At the dimmest setting the ambient lighting is off.

If you want to see pictures, don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
The gas tank is only 16.5 gallons so with a mix of city and highway expect 300-350 miles. You can probably get to 400 miles all highway.

Gracie615

I’m looking at moving from a 2012 Hyundai Azera to a new vehicle and the GS is on my list. I will be taking one for a test drive tomorrrow but had some questions for current owners.

At night, is there any door lighting while driving? The Azera has blue led light in the door panel and it looked from one of Topher’s night drives, the GS also has subtle door lighting.

I know this is a relative question given driving style and speeds but what total range do you average on a full tank? In the Azera with a V6 I get an average of 26mpg and given a fuel tank of about 18 gal I can get 420 miles per tank.

How is the leather holding up after a year of use?

Does the head unit support wireless android auto or are you all plugging into usb to support AA?

Thanks

So Stig,

Were you able to get a test drive? How did you like it? Please share you thoughts if you don't mind.

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So I took an 18 GS that had 3k on the odometer a it was the closest one I could test drive. It was a manufacturer car but I’m more interested in the 19 due to the guage changes.

First, the battery was dead so I didn’t get to see the start stop in action. I was impressed by the power - the car is quick and that’s given the Azera is no slouch. Steering was direct and quick, nicely weighted. I didn’t notice much difference between GS, Sport and normal ride wise outside of the steering weight. The suspension was firm, no crashes or bangs like I hear in the Azera over rough payment.

Seats were comfortable but more firm than what I’ve been driving over the last 7 years, not that it’s a bad thing. Tried a little lane keep on the freeway, but I couldn’t get the hud to turn on. The dealer had replaced the windshield glass that day so not sure if something to do with it.

Overall I really liked the car so I have some decisions to make. I’ve had Hyundai’s for the last 17 years (Sonata and Azera) but have always had a GM vehicle in the family for 30 years. Back seat of the GS is smaller than the Azera but we don’t need the kid space anymore.

I want a sporty luxury car as my other car is an 12 MX5 so that’s my sports car. A Stinger doesn’t really impress me as I don’t like the styling. The Genesis G70 is more my speed but the dealer network in Ohio is a mess right now and the closest G70s are in Michigan. A Giulia is a gorgeous car but I’m concerned with reliability.

Some more questions the owners:

Seats - from the owners manual, it seems the fobs determine the seat settings. So, do the seats adjust to the driver when you walk up or when you have entered the vehicle? I saw that it has an easy access feature to slide the seat back like the Azera but it doesn’t have power tilt/extend of the wheel.

Does it also change the outside mirrors?

Those that use remote start through the phone app, can you set the heated/cooled seats on? I saw in the manual that they will activate based on outside temp but curious on the app.

Any way to lock the suspension setting to sport or Gs for every start?

I’m leaning towards the smoked pearl color as first choice. I like the red in pictures but would need to see it in person as it might be too bright for me. The silver is nice but my Miata is silver so trying to mix it up a little. If they would offer the dark blue from the other Regals I would have probably bought already haha

Thanks for the info.

Jack GS

Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
Seats - from the owners manual, it seems the fobs determine the seat settings. So, do the seats adjust to the driver when you walk up or when you have entered the vehicle? I saw that it has an easy access feature to slide the seat back like the Azera but it doesn’t have power tilt/extend of the wheel.
The seats will adjust to the memory setting (1 or 2 depending on which keyfob is on your person) once the START button is pressed. This is true regardless of whether the vehicle has been remote started or not. The easy exit feature is really nice.

Does it also change the outside mirrors?
Yes it does.

Those that use remote start through the phone app, can you set the heated/cooled seats on? I saw in the manual that they will activate based on outside temp but curious on the app.
No, the heated and ventilated seats cannot be controlled through the myBuick app. Here are all of the remote commands available:

Any way to lock the suspension setting to sport or Gs for every start?
No, the suspension/driving modes are a nonlatching feature, meaning the Sport or GS mode must be chosen each time the car is started.

Gracie615

Thanks for the update Stig! Sounds like you had a nice ride.

To answer your questions...If I recall correctly, and if I am wrong I hope someone will post the correction or clarify.

Seats. When the car is started they return to the position that they were programed to while using the fob that was used in the car while it was running at the time. Same with the mirrors. We did not like that function so we disabled it in our GS. But I do miss getting the extra seat ride backwards after the car was shut off and the door was opened.

About the seat warmers, they cannot be controlled remotely by the app. It's a lot like the normal remote fob only its being controlled via the phone app. All you can do it Lock/Unlock, Remote Start/Stop, and Horn and Lights activation.

And as far as I know, I don't believe you can lock the GS or Sport modes after the car has been shut off. But then again, I have never tried it.

Hope this helps!

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the answers. Do either of you have the red? Is it as bright as I think it is? We had a red Cutlass in 91 and it was more candy apple and we loved that car and color. The GS red in the pictures seem so brighter.

Jack GS

Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
You're welcome! I don't have the red, no. I have seen it in person and it looks good but it is a very bright sport red. It's literally called "Pull Me Over Red". The white frost tricoat is the paint I have and it looks great if that paint ever crossed your mind. If there was a smoked pearl GS around when I was looking for mine, I would have had a hard time choosing between the white tricoat and smoked pearl. The painted portion of the wheels are a similar dark metallic gray.

Nonetheless, I'd try to take a look at as many of them in person as possible.

Gracie615

Thanks for the answers. Do either of you have the red? Is it as bright as I think it is? We had a red Cutlass in 91 and it was more candy apple and we loved that car and color. The GS red in the pictures seem so brighter.
I wanted the Sport (Pull Me Over) Red. But my wife feared it would be too noticeable in our small town so we ordered our next choice the Quick Silver Metalic. But if I had to do it all over again I would pay extra for the white frost tricoat which looks to me hot and classy at the same time!

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I think I will check out the white in person as well. I’m watching a review of the Insignia GSI version and what I’ve noticed so far - only 20 minutes into the 60 minute review - is that it has paddle shifters and he mentioned the head unit supported wireless projection of android auto and car play. It also has a button by the shifter for start stop and heated rear seats.

Odd that they are so different.

Last edited:

Jack GS

Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
Add to the list of differences the rear spoiler, different rear LED tail lights with amber turn signals, auto high beam headlights, some have rear wipers, the V6 is not available in Europe while they have plenty of gas and diesel engines to pair with an auto or manual trans, automatic parking, surround vision (360 degree top down camera view), the ability to change the small digital gauges on either side of the speedo, different rear seat headrests, covered cup holder in the center console, and they can get 20" wheels whereas 19" is the largest available here. The list goes on.

Yes, odd indeed that we are deprived of some of the more useful features. It certainly bothers me having a "loaded" GS that still has two blank placeholders where the auto stop/start and parking buttons should be. My guess is it came down to differences in government regulations and the bean counters.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
There has been a lot of complaining about the lack of paddle shifters as well as the lack of a stop/start disable button on these cars. I’m wondering if the 2020 model might see these features.

ksujgg

Overland Park, KS
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
My connected services are expired, but I can still control features like whether the heated/ventilated seats turn on during remote start at https://my.buick.com/vehicleSettings

The website seems to function differently than the phone app. I can no longer access any settings in the app Remote Commands feature now that Buick Connectivity is not active.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.