Looking to buy a GS - questions to current owners

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Add to the list of differences the rear spoiler, different rear LED tail lights with amber turn signals, auto high beam headlights, some have rear wipers, the V6 is not available in Europe while they have plenty of gas and diesel engines to pair with an auto or manual trans, automatic parking, surround vision (360 degree top down camera view), the ability to change the small digital gauges on either side of the speedo, different rear seat headrests, covered cup holder in the center console, and they can get 20" wheels whereas 19" is the largest available here. The list goes on.

Yes, odd indeed that we are deprived of some of the more useful features. It certainly bothers me having a "loaded" GS that still has two blank placeholders where the auto stop/start and parking buttons should be. My guess is it came down to differences in government regulations and the bean counters.
I think out of all the Euro exclusives you list, the only one I'd really want would be the bird-eye camera. The ability to change the soft gauges would be kinda nice too. I had paddle shifters and automatic high beams on my ATS and never used either so they aren't missed. But getting the V6 trumps all of those and is easily worth the trade-offs. In fact I probably wouldn't have bought my car if it only had the 2.0T.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I’m still looking at options but have a few more questions. Found a certified used 18 GS with 1800 miles. The dash center LCD looks different than the 19. Can that be updated by the dealer to appear the same as the 19?

The same question goes for the head unit, can it be updated?

Also, I know that the GS has cylinder deactivation. On our Silverado, you can see that status in the DIC. Is that possible in the GS as well?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
No. The cluster and head unit can not be updated.

So much hate for the old UI. It’s fine, especially if you get a good deal on the car.

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the confirmation. Between the cash on the hood for the 19 and my GM World card credits it’s about a 3K difference New vs used. Nothing to sneeze at but given I keep cars 7-10 years it’s probably more about what I want to live with.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Thanks for the confirmation. Between the cash on the hood for the 19 and my GM World card credits it’s about a 3K difference New vs used. Nothing to sneeze at but given I keep cars 7-10 years it’s probably more about what I want to live with.
I’ll be living with my relatively bugless old UI for at least 10 years. :)

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I thought the old UI was fine, I prefer it over the new one actually

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Also, I've never seen an indication on the DIC that AFM was active. So either there's no indication, or I've never engaged AFM, or AFM is disabled on our engines (my money's on the first option).

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. I found a smoke pearl grey GS with drivers convenience 2, moonroof, appearance package and sight &sound package. The out of state dealer was discounting $2600 off the vehicle which placed it around supplier pricing. I can get supplier pricing but I don’t use it because you can’t use any GM World credits in combination with supplier pricing.

They had 2 GS In stock - black and smoke grey - but I noticed the black one had another $750 off. When I asked about it they said that was a mistake but would honor on the deal. $3350 off before the current Buick discounts ($5500) felt like a pretty good deal. I will be picking it up this weekend.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
Well I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. I found a smoke pearl grey GS with drivers convenience 2, moonroof, appearance package and sight &sound package. The out of state dealer was discounting $2600 off the vehicle which placed it around supplier pricing. I can get supplier pricing but I don’t use it because you can’t use any GM World credits in combination with supplier pricing.

They had 2 GS In stock - black and smoke grey - but I noticed the black one had another $750 off. When I asked about it they said that was a mistake but would honor on the deal. $3350 off before the current Buick discounts ($5500) felt like a pretty good deal. I will be picking it up this weekend.
Congrats!

Be sure to take some photos!

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS

Congratulations!

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I got 29mpg on the trip back at avg speed of 71mph. I got the same in the Azera down to the dealer so I was glad to see that.

I have one small rattle in the driver's side A pillar when hitting hard bumps. I'll see if I can find that over the next week's if not ask the nearest Buick dealer about it on the first oil change.

When I shut off the car I hear a ticking noise from the driver's front headlight area. Is that normal? I haven't pinpointed where it's coming from just yet.

Requested pic attached

Attachments

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
I got 29mpg on the trip back at avg speed of 71mph. I got the same in the Azera down to the dealer so I was glad to see that.

I have one small rattle in the driver's side A pillar when hitting hard bumps. I'll see if I can find that over the next week's if not ask the nearest Buick dealer about it on the first oil change.

When I shut off the car I hear a ticking noise from the driver's front headlight area. Is that normal? I haven't pinpointed where it's coming from just yet.

Requested pic attached
Beautiful!

My car ticks too. I've noticed a buzzing noise from the same area when I approach and unlock the car as well.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
When I shut off the car I hear a ticking noise from the driver's front headlight area.
I hear the sound too, at first I though it sound like something has fallen off lol. Not too much of a concern now

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Love the color! In New England the dealers seem to have red or black if they even have one.
Thanks . I had to drive 5 hours to get it but it was worth it to me to get the color I wanted. I had one sales person tell me "you are very particular" to which I responded "yeah I am when spending over 30k for something... Aren't you?".

Locally, there aren't many of them but they are white, black, red. I found this one myself via AutoTrader. When I chatted online with a Buick rep to see if there were any closer she could find only 2 others like it - Missouri and North Dakota.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
"yeah I am when spending over 30k for something... Aren't you?"
EXACTLY!

My sales consultant asked me if I had any questions about the features of the car that hand't been discussed. I'm abbreviating the conversation, but when I told her I pretty much knew everything about it already, she responded, "You know more about this car than I do!"

All I could think to say was, "I should, I am the one that just put the down payment on it."

She chuckled and stated that she wished more buyers were like that. Apparently it isn't as common as you'd think for people to be "particular." She went on to say most of their buyers walk in and ask what they can get into for $XXX per month with little regard for anything else.

Morgs1969

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
In order to use Android Auto in the GS, the phone must be plugged into the USB port in the center console.

Another note about the ambient lighting on the door and infotainment trim. First, I think it looks great! Secondly, the lighting can be adjusted with the dial used to brighten/dim the instrument cluster lights. At the dimmest setting the ambient lighting is off.

If you want to see pictures, don't hesitate to ask!
Yes. Please. Would love to see how ambient lighting looks

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
Yes. Please. Would love to see how ambient lighting looks
Not the greatest pictures but better than nothing! Another note about the ambient lighting, the brightness can be adjusted. When the dash lights are fully dimmed the ambient lighting is off. In every other brightness setting they are on. They look a bit blue but are more white in person. The hotspots aren't as noticeable in person either.

There is also illumination on the inside of each door handle but my image didn't capture it well.

Driver door:

Infotainment:

Passenger door:

Nighttime POV video where the ambient lighting can be seen:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.