• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Looking to increase stopping power

jimmys5600

Buick Newbie
Clarence NY
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal
Hi All, Recentaly puirchased a 18 Sportback,J60 brakes. The vehicle stops ok but
nothing special. Without replace calipers what is a good option to go with?
Thinking of rotor and pad combinations front & rear.
Im so spoiled with the brakes on my Silverado and recenlty sold 08 Vette. This
Regal brake system seems weak to me. Car only has 17k.
Thanks

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I have the opposite opinion...these brakes are really quite good and on par with other performance cars I have driven. The pads have a nice initial bite and stop quite well. Someone here posted a link to a test results showing the TourX stopped the same as the GS that comes with Brembos. Granted those are less likely to fade but the TourX is not a track car.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I have to agree with these folks. The brakes on the TourX are better than decent. Comparing to a truck or Vette isn’t really fair.

The market is thin for brake upgrades outside of retrofitting to Brembos... which would be cosmetic only if the stop stats are nearly identical. A can of red caliper paint would be cheaper.

Find some drilled and slotted rotors perhaps if you have money to burn?

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I agree with the others. I think the TourX has some of the best brakes I've ever used. The only cars that I'd say were better were the Cadillac CTS-V and Camaro ZL1 with Brembos. I'd agree that the tires are the weak link.

remmy

Hampton, VA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I agree with the others. However if you feel you really need to swap some stuff out, I prefer Carbotech for pads. 1521 model. Youll need to call them to see if they'll make some for the TourX. They will make them to order as crazy as that sounds. They did for my old '13 Si.

For rotors, Im a big fan of Frozen.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Another way to increase stopping power would have nothing to do with the brakes.
Instead, reduce the weight of the vehicle.
But, I don't see how a Silverado has better braking power feel than our Regal at all.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I will also jump on the bandwagon and agree that these brakes have exceeded my expectations.

You may want to pull your pads and check for uneven wear and glazing... then consider bleeding them and check the fluid color.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)
Consider looking into EBC brakes; both pads and rotors are made in England. I have them on my car ("RedStuff" pads) and the difference in braking from before is apparent as well as the very low dust. They have two kits for your car for both front and back. Unfortunately EVERY other kit they sell for your car appears to be China junk; looks like HAWK (US made) isn't making brakes for it yet. They may take a few weeks to get out as it appears they are made to order which for the price is quite good. I didn't mind waiting.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ebc-s5kr1681/year/2018/make/buick/model/regal-sportback

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ebc-s9kf1799/year/2018/make/buick/model/regal-sportback

Last edited:

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
IMO as long as you can make ABS kick in the brakes are outperforming tires.

ready2fly

Tampa, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I am trying to find good replacement tires, so I noticed that soft touring tires really improve braking on my Regal, but they also decrease acceleration and kill fuel economy. I would say brakes on my Regal are somewhat heavy, but they work great.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Brakes are ok, but I've come from lots of sweedish and German cars where brakes felt more responsive. When you get on the pedal in the tourx it will stop, but I wonder how fast you can make em fade. They are not huge by any means. IMO they are adequate, but it could use bigger brakes. Can't make em too big IMO

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Brakes are ok, but I've come from lots of sweedish and German cars where brakes felt more responsive. When you get on the pedal in the tourx it will stop, but I wonder how fast you can make em fade. They are not huge by any means. IMO they are adequate, but it could use bigger brakes. Can't make em too big IMO

What kind of driving are you doing on public roads to cause the brake fade you mention? I've had to make some emergency quick stops and they've done great... far better than my old German TDI with "performance" brakes that weighs less than this lead bullet. Y'all are making it seem like we are driving a car with non-power assist 4-corner drum brakes. Those were "ok" brakes.

Iansignia

UK
Buick Ownership
TourX
OK, You will need to get the GS Front Discs 355mm and the GS Brembo 4 pot calipers & pads, that all you need, they are a direct bolt on and will stop your car on the spot. I did the conversion to my TourX

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
This reminds me of one of the younger gentlemen who happens to use the same sitter that my wife and I do. My son and his daughter are roughly the same age but I've noticed when he picks her up it is often in a much visually modified BMW 325i - the calipers are painted red but they are simply the stock factory units - they look pretty tiny and silly in the aftermarket wheels he has on there.

Best of luck to those making a true Brembo upgrade.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)
the calipers are painted red but they are simply the stock factory units - they look pretty tiny and silly in the aftermarket wheels he has on there.
See lots of shitty Hondas and Focuses with similar 'modifications.'

landsharkmz3

Spending a bunch on rotors won't impact anything for operation on the street. Get the drilled and slotted only if you prefer to spend more and replace them twice as often for no real benefit.

The brakes are tuned for a certain feel. It sounds like you don't care for the feel. I doubt the braking distance is an issue. If you want to try and change brake feel a bit, then look for pads targeted for spirited driving that advertise high initial bite.

Personally, I use Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic on my typical street cars, and I use Centric Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic on my M Roadster. If you want no dust, go with the ceramic. If you want decent fade resistance, go with the semi-metallic. My experience is that they make great pads at a great price. They private label for some other brake pads brands, and OEMs too.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
OK, You will need to get the GS Front Discs 355mm and the GS Brembo 4 pot calipers & pads, that all you need, they are a direct bolt on and will stop your car on the spot. I did the conversion to my TourX

What years? And bolt on? No caliper adaptor brackets?

Also I never said I've gotten em to fade...I said I wonder how much it would take to make them fade

Get your turbo buick badge right here!