• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Looking to increase stopping power

RedX

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal TourX
Auto,

I habe the full set ready for swap for sale. There is an ad up in the classifieds.

Spuds

Maryland
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
I'm a bit late to the party, but I also find the brakes on my tourx to be pretty good. I'm a bit surprised no one suggested just doing a brake fluid change to see if that solved OPs problem. 9/10 times a mushy brake pedal is fluid-related.

kevinmfb

As landsharkmz3 stated get more aggressive pads and better rotors (not drilled or slotted).
I've had great results with Centric cryo discs and their pads.
StopTech Street performance bits is what I used on my more powerful vehicles in the past without going full-race setup. I never tracked the cars so only needed good street capability

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I was searching through some Car and Driver test results, they list the TourX as stopping from 70mph in 175 feet and the GS with Brembos in 164 feet. Neither of those are particularly great. While 11 feet is significant I am not sure if the GS is on the same rubber, if it is on more performance orientated rubber much of that distance could be attributed to that. My guess is the Brembo kit adds very little to the braking from 70 unless you test after several hard stops.

But with that said I am kind of surprised by these numbers, my car seems to have pretty good braking power but maybe I am confusing hard initial bite to actual stopping power. What confuses me more is that if I drive any other car for a few days and get back in the TourX the first few times I brake I have to recalibrate my foot.

kevinmfb

What confuses me more is that if I drive any other car for a few days and get back in the TourX the first few times I brake I have to recalibrate my foot.
HA! This is me with almost any other car I drive. Especially some Ford trucks with their super sensitive brake pedals.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Spending a bunch on rotors won't impact anything for operation on the street. Get the drilled and slotted only if you prefer to spend more and replace them twice as often for no real benefit.
I wonder if you've ever actually owned and used slotted and drilled rotors for an extended period of time as my experience differs. Even though I used a cheap eBay kit (as opposed to the much better kits mentioned above) both them and the pads worked like new for years and outlasted the car; in fact they'd still be in use had someone not hit that car.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I wonder if you've ever actually owned and used slotted and drilled rotors for an extended period of time as my experience differs. Even though I used a cheap eBay kit (as opposed to the much better kits mentioned above) both them and the pads worked like new for years and outlasted the car; in fact they'd still be in use had someone not hit that car.
I found cheap drilled rotors for my 2014 Forester 6MT, forget what brand pad I bought, but they were the pricey choice. They took forever to bed in, but seem smooth and quieter now. Buick brakes still far better feel & bite.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I may do drilled and/or slotted in the future but I have no illusions that they will do anything for the braking. I had them on my LGT and didn't notice any change other than the feel, I could actually feel the edge of the pad hitting the slot at certain speeds/conditions. I think this was made worse since I had changed my bushings out from the compliant factory rubber to urethane. I would guess with the TourX you won't feel this. The only other thing I noted was faster pad wear, I would guess this is from that slot acting like a cheese grater and shaving a little bit more off than normal. It wasn't terrible but it was noticeable, maybe about 2/3 the life.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Have now just ordered Hawk SuperDuty (their best line) front pads for my family's late model Highlander. Plan to bring in the factory rotors to be turned before installation as well. Will give an opinion on them in a few weeks.

landsharkmz3

1600267647850.png

These Zimmerman rotors saw a couple track events, some mountain runs, tons of auto-x. I had to replace them when crack propagation got too high.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
View attachment 25761

These Zimmerman rotors saw a couple track events, some mountain runs, tons of auto-x. I had to replace them when crack propagation got too high.
Comparing something being recommended for street use to something abused at the track and elsewhere is absurd; the same brake pads I put in my car would probably only last a few days at the track. Those rotors may have lasted indefinitely with only street use for all you know. I only bought and used slotted and drilled rotors once and honestly never noticed much worthy of my doing so again, but I did feel the pads grab quite well with them. Would I again? Yes but won't go out of my way nor spend extra to do so, so realistically probably not.

landsharkmz3

Comparing something being recommended for street use to something abused at the track and elsewhere is absurd; the same brake pads I put in my car would probably only last a few days at the track. Those rotors may have lasted indefinitely with only street use for all you know. I only bought and used slotted and drilled rotors once and honestly never noticed much worthy of my doing so again, but I did feel the pads grab quite well with them. Would I again? Yes but won't go out of my way nor spend extra to do so, so realistically probably not.
What's the point of drilled? They promote increased air flow to help cool rotors from overheating in extreme usage. These can be found on some track ready street cars that expect such hard usage.
What's the point of slotted? Help clear any dust and gas layer for high speed hard braking, wearing the pads faster.

What's the point on a car not pushed hard for performance? Nothing, it only wears the pads faster. I guess bling is the point for some people.

BTW, I switched back to blanks; both for that street car, and for the actual race car (which is now sold).

If they last forever for you, then that's great.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
What's the point of drilled? They promote increased air flow to help cool rotors from overheating in extreme usage. These can be found on some track ready street cars that expect such hard usage.
What's the point of slotted? Help clear any dust and gas layer for high speed hard braking, wearing the pads faster.

What's the point on a car not pushed hard for performance? Nothing, it only wears the pads faster. I guess bling is the point for some people.

BTW, I switched back to blanks; both for that street car, and for the actual race car (which is now sold).

If they last forever for you, then that's great.
In street applications, slotted and drilled rotors may be just what's needed to prevent that little bit of extra heat that does tend to ruin what over time would have otherwise remained a fine rotor. Track use on the other hand is a completely different beast which is why it's well known to be an expensive hobby and why parts require frequent replacement.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I was searching through some Car and Driver test results, they list the TourX as stopping from 70mph in 175 feet and the GS with Brembos in 164 feet. Neither of those are particularly great. While 11 feet is significant I am not sure if the GS is on the same rubber, if it is on more performance orientated rubber much of that distance could be attributed to that. My guess is the Brembo kit adds very little to the braking from 70 unless you test after several hard stops.
Interesting data! Certainly not the performance you'd expect from the Brembos. In the US, the GS comes with the same Continental ProContact rubber as the Sportback and TourX models not equipped with the ContiSilent tires. In the tests I have watched, the Brembos are bringing the GS to a stop exceeding 1 g. I have never had anything remotely close to modern brakes and I find them to be quite remarkable.

In Australia, the VXR is equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. In this video, the car was braked from 110-115 kmh (roughly 70 mph) in 36.00 m (118.11 ft). It's only one data point but it's the only other test I found going from 70-0. The only other test I found was from 100 kmh (roughly 62 mph) in 37.79 m (123.98 ft). I'm not sure what the cause of the inconsistency is there. All else being equal, tires will certainly increase stopping power.

Last edited:

Stray_Kiwi

Buick Ownership
2018 Holden Commodore VXR
In Australia, the VXR is equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. In this video, the car was braked from 110-115 kmh (roughly 70 mph) in 36.00 m (118.11 ft). It's only one data point but it's the only other test I found going from 70-0. The only other test I found was from 100 kmh (roughly 62 mph) in 37.79 m (123.98 ft). I'm not sure what the cause of the inconsistency is there. All else being equal, tires will certainly increase stopping power.

It's interesting to see what a change to proper performance rubber will do on the same car. I can't recommend the Michelins strongly enough, although for those actively looking to upgrade I suggest you look at the Pilot Sport 4S if you can afford them. However the downside of that performance is increased road noise, high initial cost and reduced durability.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Upon inspection of the Hawk brake pad box, I found stamped the words "made in China" stamped on the box. Not recommended; I may not even be installing them.

Just because of where they are made? Lots of things made in China... like nearly every component of the device you used to access this message board.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Just because of where they are made? Lots of things made in China... like nearly every component of the device you used to access this message board.
This right here is what complacency and acquiescence looks like.

I could not be more choked. I went out of my way and imported these pads to me at great extra expense precisely because they were said to be made in USA. Right now I'd like to just throw them in the garbage.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You don't import USA made parts if you live in the USA! Makes no sense as the rest of your posts!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!