• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Loosing coolant 2015 Encore

Smallherd

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
Has anyone every had to make this repair twice. Mine is at 64,000 miles and having to replace the hoses because of coolant leaking. I like the car but I don't want to have to make this repair every couple of years. I have only had the car for 2 years.

G-562514

I had my 2013 Encore repaired on 1/25/19. Part numbers used for repair were 25199813 - Connector 3.374 (qty. - 2), 55568031 - Pipe 3.374 (qty. - 1), 55567067 - Pipe 3.374 (qty. - 1). $90.71 for parts, $507.50 for labor. Pulled car out of garage today (1/28/19) coolant again leaking onto garage floor. So frustrating to have to deal with this issue - but still wonder how many other people have the same issue but as coolant hits catalytic convertor and is burned off, do not know they have an issue?
just took my 2014 encore in for same coolant leak, they said it is turbo coolant pipes, the same replacement part numbers, but they included 1.0 injector and 1.0 induction for a total of $1231.00. Why? Do I need to get help from someone other than the dealer?

DaveCaruso

Buick Ownership
Encore
Our 2015 Encore just stopped heating (of course we are now experiencing temperatures in the teens). Took it to our dealership and it is the turbo coolant and return pipe... $1200 for the repair on a $100 part. The car only has 22,000 miles, but the 4-year 90,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty expired in Feb 2019 and our extended warranty won’t cover it because I’m told the pipe is “plastic”. Getting a major runaround from GM in explaining why this party has failed inside of 25K miles and they can’t cover this repair, just seems ridiculous.

My Buick sales guy has been calling me regularly to upgrade us to a new vehicle. I’m thinking of calling him and tell him that the service department and GM have effectively killed any future GM cars for us if this is the quality of parts we’re getting in their vehicles. Now it’s as much as the principle of passing the buck by GM and our dealership rather than doing the right thing that has me up in arms. Not looking for FREE, but they are washing their hands of this based on the expiration of the warranty.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Our 2015 Encore just stopped heating (of course we are now experiencing temperatures in the teens). Took it to our dealership and it is the turbo coolant and return pipe... $1200 for the repair on a $100 part. The car only has 22,000 miles, but the 4-year 90,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty expired in Feb 2019 and our extended warranty won’t cover it because I’m told the pipe is “plastic”. Getting a major runaround from GM in explaining why this party has failed inside of 25K miles and they can’t cover this repair, just seems ridiculous.

My Buick sales guy has been calling me regularly to upgrade us to a new vehicle. I’m thinking of calling him and tell him that the service department and GM have effectively killed any future GM cars for us if this is the quality of parts we’re getting in their vehicles. Now it’s as much as the principle of passing the buck by GM and our dealership rather than doing the right thing that has me up in arms. Not looking for FREE, but they are washing their hands of this based on the expiration of the warranty.

Have you talked to a regional GM/Buick rep? Not always but sometimes they will go to bat for you.

G-60997

My Encore is slowly loosing coolant. The tank goes down about half around every 5000 mi. The dealer did a pressure test of the cooling system and said they could not find any leak. Is there any special point of leaks that I should tell the dealer to look for? Thanks.
I had the exact same thing! And turns out it was the lines running to the turbo plus the rest of the cooling system lines! just paid $1,000 to have all the cooling lines replaced. And it was not covered under the power train. bummer. Hope you don't have the same issue. Trading my Encore in for something else. I need a reliable car that can handle my hour commute to work every day. This obviously was not made for that.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
I had the exact same thing! And turns out it was the lines running to the turbo plus the rest of the cooling system lines! just paid $1,000 to have all the cooling lines replaced. And it was not covered under the power train. bummer. Hope you don't have the same issue. Trading my Encore in for something else. I need a reliable car that can handle my hour commute to work every day. This obviously was not made for that.
You've provided little about your car. Year? Mileage? Having cooling lines changed doesn't make it unreliable.

Alfer

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Wow, glad I found this thread.

I'm taking my daughters 2016 Encore in for a stalling issue and last night lifted hood to check fluids and noticed the pink coolant tank had maybe 1-2" of pink coolant left (engine hot) and I know that can't be right. So I'm adding "leak check" to our ticket tomorrow when I go to dealer.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Wow, glad I found this thread.

I'm taking my daughters 2016 Encore in for a stalling issue and last night lifted hood to check fluids and noticed the pink coolant tank had maybe 1-2" of pink coolant left (engine hot) and I know that can't be right. So I'm adding "leak check" to our ticket tomorrow when I go to dealer.
How many miles on it?

Alfer

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
How many miles on it?

I called service department this morning to make sure they investigate since it will be in shop all day anyway. I opened my MyChevy app and it has all the notes I called in to have looked at (stalling, now coolant). They noted to do a full car inspection, check for leak and top off all fluids etc.

Alfer

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
full warranty ends in a month so glad I'm getting it all checked now. Powertrain warranty end in 2 years.

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
Tyler Kalb

Images above are set to public as of Dec 2019. It is disturbing to see that all of the users on this board are suffering from this coolant line leak. Also distressing that for an $800+ repair the new parts are only warranted for two years. It is tough to believe this is not a problem "engineered to fail" just outside of warranty. The 2015 Buick Encore has only 37,000 miles on it. I was told that Buick would cover $300 towards the repair. Then I saw half dozen other posted complaints for the same issue. When photographed, it is clear this has been an ongoing leak. Pix of corrosion are posted and tagged as Public. Also just found out that the A/C will need replaced as well. I would have MAJOR reservations about recommending Buick at this point.

Attachments

TMP49

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
I just had my 2015 Encore in for a coolant leak and they found the same thing with a slow leak on the turbo return line. I have an estimate of $580 to repair. My question is does it really need to be repaired right away if I keep up on topping off the coolant once a week. Or will this cause major damage to my turbo if it is not repaired? I bought this used in Feb. 2018 have currently about 64K miles and in the past year I have had this car in the shop roughly every 2 months. this year alone, air conditioner went out, water pump, thermostat casing leaking and now the return line. Does this never end.

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
Are you smelling coolant burning off by any chance? I just had the coolant lines replaced on my turbocharger. Same deal, coolant going down but nothing on the ground. The mechanic took a while to find it. The coolant line was leaking at a crimped joint and dripping down onto the catalytic converter right below it so it was boiling off as fast as it leaked. I just started noticing a coolant smell recently and the mechanic found traces of coolant. The area is behind the turbo charger and is very difficult to see/inspect. I think it is a common issue on these engines as the coolant lines run very close to the engine just above the exhaust manifold and get a lot of heat.

FYI, mine was out of bumper to bumper - $100 for the hoses and $600 labor to replace them as they cannot be replaced without removing the turbo. I was 60 days out of warranty. Dealer is trying to get gm to understand that the coolant was going down during warranty so it had been a problem for a while. I am not holding my breath! FYI, the turbo is right at the front of the engine and has a big rubber hose attached to the top and then the turbo is under a cast heat shield and connects to the manifold. Below and to the right of that is the "first" catalytic converter. The coolant hoses run behind the turbo and heat shield.
ME TOO, same thing at 37,000 miles. Same cost, evidence of ongoing leak. GM says they would pay half or $300. We said no to that. And the dealer told us that other Buick Encores have had the same issue. They are well aware. Shoddy design.

Attachments

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
I just had my 2015 Encore in for a coolant leak and they found the same thing with a slow leak on the turbo return line. I have an estimate of $580 to repair. My question is does it really need to be repaired right away if I keep up on topping off the coolant once a week. Or will this cause major damage to my turbo if it is not repaired? I bought this used in Feb. 2018 have currently about 64K miles and in the past year I have had this car in the shop roughly every 2 months. this year alone, air conditioner went out, water pump, thermostat casing leaking and now the return line. Does this never end.
ME TOO, same thing with 2015 Encore at 37,000 miles. 4 months out of warranty. Same cost, evidence of ongoing coolant line leak -turbo has to come off to repair line. GM says they would pay half or $300. We said no to that. And the dealer told us that other Buick Encores have had the same issue. They are well aware. Shoddy design.

Attachments

Pedal Commander