Loosing coolant 2015 Encore

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
Our 2015 Encore just stopped heating (of course we are now experiencing temperatures in the teens). Took it to our dealership and it is the turbo coolant and return pipe... $1200 for the repair on a $100 part. The car only has 22,000 miles, but the 4-year 90,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty expired in Feb 2019 and our extended warranty won’t cover it because I’m told the pipe is “plastic”. Getting a major runaround from GM in explaining why this party has failed inside of 25K miles and they can’t cover this repair, just seems ridiculous.

My Buick sales guy has been calling me regularly to upgrade us to a new vehicle. I’m thinking of calling him and tell him that the service department and GM have effectively killed any future GM cars for us if this is the quality of parts we’re getting in their vehicles. Now it’s as much as the principle of passing the buck by GM and our dealership rather than doing the right thing that has me up in arms. Not looking for FREE, but they are washing their hands of this based on the expiration of the warranty.
Dave Caruso: after buying 3 GM cars from same dealer in NE Ohio. We are also abandoning future with Buick / GM. Have a 2015 Encore with 37k miles. Warranty expired 4 months ago. We too have coolant line issue as well as compressor for A/C needing replaced. Todays total quote was $1800. Never had a car with so many (prior) failures. Totally unprecedented for us. There is evidence of ongoing leak and corrosion. GM says they would pay $300 towards a $900 coolant line replacement. It is a 5 hr job. We said no to that. And the dealer told us that other Buick Encores have had the same issue. They are well aware. Shoddy design.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 5

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
ME TOO, same thing with 2015 Encore at 37,000 miles. 4 months out of warranty. Same cost, evidence of ongoing coolant line leak -turbo has to come off to repair line. GM says they would pay half or $300. We said no to that. And the dealer told us that other Buick Encores have had the same issue. They are well aware. Shoddy design.
Unless they changed it recently, once you pay for a part and it is installed at a dealer, the part has a lifetime warranty.

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
Unless they changed it recently, once you pay for a part and it is installed at a dealer, the part has a lifetime warranty.
We did not have them replace coolant line. The part is under $100. They quoted almost $900 to fix. So after a $300 discount from GM, would have still been over $500. It is going on the lift we have at the warehouse, will be a big job since turbo has to come off. More to the point, at 37k miles this should not be happening. Since the dealership admitted it is a known problem and others are posting about same issue I think there will be more to come. also poncho167....Dealer said part comes with 2 year warranty. That's it.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
Same thing with mine. They just found a leak in the hoses going into the turbo. $1600 repair.
Same here on 2015...only a few months out of warranty but still only 37,000 miles

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 3

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
We did not have them replace coolant line. The part is under $100. They quoted almost $900 to fix. So after a $300 discount from GM, would have still been over $500. It is going on the lift we have at the warehouse, will be a big job since turbo has to come off. More to the point, at 37k miles this should not be happening. Since the dealership admitted it is a known problem and others are posting about same issue I think there will be more to come.
It is unfortunate that you have to replace the turbo but it looks like a simple job to me. I have seen them advertised on Ebay for under $300.

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
We did not have them replace coolant line. The part is under $100. They quoted almost $900 to fix. So after a $300 discount from GM, would have still been over $500. It is going on the lift we have at the warehouse, will be a big job since turbo has to come off. More to the point, at 37k miles this should not be happening. Since the dealership admitted it is a known problem and others are posting about same issue I think there will be more to come. also poncho167....Dealer said part comes with 2 year warranty. That's it. Turbo does not need replaced. Just the coolant line for 800-900 bucks (with dealer labor and under $100 in parts)

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
What did your regional Buick rep tell you? You did contact them, right?
I have no way of contacting my regional Buick rep. I emailed Buick customer service but it's not like the dealership would want to volunteer the contact information for the rep. Any suggestions are welcome because the dealer does not help

Last edited:

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Google?

Contact Us | Call Buick

It sounds like you have a real case to be considered for an out of warranty repair. Document your conversation, who you talked to, what they said, get contact info, etc. Be polite. Nothing will put a road block up faster than ranting and saying how you'll never buy a Buick again. DO NOT tell them you already bashed them in an Internet forum. Ask them what they are willing to do for you as a loyal GM customer. Again, don't get angry with them. Talk through it. If you don't get a satisfactory answer ask to escalate to what ever the next level is. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Last edited:

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
Google?

Contact Us | Call Buick

It sounds like you have a real case to be considered for an out of warranty repair. Document your conversation, who you talked to, what they said, get contact info, etc. Be polite. Nothing will put a road block up faster than ranting and saying how you'll never buy a Buick again. DO NOT tell them you already bashed them in an Internet forum. Ask them what they are willing to do for you as a loyal GM customer. Again, don't get angry with them. Talk through it. If you don't get a satisfactory answer ask to escalate to what ever the next level is. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
DocBrown, thanks for the advice- Google produces no information regarding regional reps. I did submit an email inquiry previously to the Buick website. Have not heard back from them. We are not sure that dealership was correct about their diagnosis re: where the leak was coming from. It might/ should have been covered as part of the turbo after all. It's at the warehouse on the lift so we shall see.

Attachments

• Buick on the lift.JPG
    Buick on the lift.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 6

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
ME TOO, same thing with 2015 Encore at 37,000 miles. 4 months out of warranty. Same cost, evidence of ongoing coolant line leak -turbo has to come off to repair line. GM says they would pay half or $300. We said no to that. And the dealer told us that other Buick Encores have had the same issue. They are well aware. Shoddy design.

You might check out post # 10 on the forum link below where Jessica from Buick customer service offered some help to a Buick owner. Probably a long shot for help but one never knows. She can be reached via PM on the forum, I hope.

Buick Customer Service
All Knowing · From Detroit, USA
Joined Mar 1, 2010
Last seen Jun 26, 2019
Reaction score
Follow
Ignore
Start conversation

Service Suspension Light

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Too many complaints for Jessica to handle, I suppose, and she likely quit.:unsure:

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Too many complaints for Jessica to handle, I suppose, and she likely quit.:unsure:
I think it could be related to the recent purge of nonessential staff! GM should start at the top the bloodsuckers staff first, then work their way down the ladder!!! Customer service should/would be at the bottom of the barrel! We may also want to get the Federal Government involved once again, before another bailout happens! Some Thing Wong with GM!!

Last edited:

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
DocBrown, thanks for the advice- Google produces no information regarding regional reps. I did submit an email inquiry previously to the Buick website. Have not heard back from them. We are not sure that dealership was correct about their diagnosis re: where the leak was coming from. It might/ should have been covered as part of the turbo after all. It's at the warehouse on the lift so we shall see.

No, Google does. Did you look at the phone number in the link I provided? I Googled that. Maybe they won't help, maybe it's a waste of time. But how do you until you call? And you need to call. Sending an email then throwing up your hands is a half-hearted effort at best. No offense but you don't seem all that interested in being your own advocate. If this was me I'd be in the phone hounding them once at least once a week.

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
No, Google does. Did you look at the phone number in the link I provided? I Googled that. Maybe they won't help, maybe it's a waste of time. But how do you until you call? And you need to call. Sending an email then throwing up your hands is a half-hearted effort at best. No offense but you don't seem all that interested in being your own advocate. If this was me I'd be in the phone hounding them once at least once a week.
Very interested in getting to the bottom of if the problem should have quite possibly been covered under the 50k warranty. I would not discuss the detailed findings until the actual problem can be viewed and documented. It seems that others have had this coolant line leak. Dealership said it was not the turbo so we will see. One member of this board said they had a failure of the coolant line twice. Another said that their extended warranty excluded hoses. Until the actual problem is known- seal, hose, turbo having the dealer do hundreds in repairs seems counterproductive.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Very interested in getting to the bottom of if the problem should have quite possibly been covered under the 50k warranty. I would not discuss the detailed findings until the actual problem can be viewed and documented. It seems that others have had this coolant line leak. Dealership said it was not the turbo so we will see. One member of this board said they had a failure of the coolant line twice. Another said that their extended warranty excluded hoses. Until the actual problem is known- seal, hose, turbo having the dealer do hundreds in repairs seems counterproductive.

It's your money. You're dealer is failing you. Why you don't call Buick is beyond me. Get behind it BEFORE you spend hundreds.

Toddman622

Buick Ownership
2014 Encore POS EDITION
I repaired mine myself. There are 2 coolant fittings that screw into the top of the turbo. The aluminum pipe is pressed into the fitting AFTER the fittings are installed in the turbo. The fittings are 10 bucks apiece and if you clean the aluminum coolant lines where it PUSHES into the fitting, they will CLICK when they go in. I used 1500 grit sandpaper to shine mine up. The problem is when the coolant leaks there, the turbo sucks the pink coolant into the exhaust side if the turbo at the seam. The inside of the cat looked like pesto bismol. I soaked the cat overnight in dawn and warm water. Rinsed it out in the morning. Be advised to buy a new gasket for that turbo to cat joint. A small exhaust leak will throw a cat code when it’s only an $8 gasket. 2014 Encore with 47k miles. I tried to get mine into the stealership and finally gave up.

NeverAgainWithBuick

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
@Toddman622 you had the most coherent reply that I have seen. Thank you so much. I am just a secretary. My mechanic was my spouse --who has the same tools as Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High. He too does not trust the "Stealership". When he took apart the hoses, he found something that he exclaimed was "flimsy!" he then went to THREE local dealerships to get a new coolant line, a new oil line, and new gaskets. He found an oil leak as well during this process. He was told by TWO of the dealers that they could not sell him the parts because they are on back order and they don't have enough to fill their own "work in progress" for their customers. He finally found one place to sell parts = $100 dollars. Here is a fascinating article that (while not related to coolant line) does speak volumes about the quality or lack thereof regarding the Encore Buick Recalls Encore Because An Insignificant Part Called The 'Steering Wheel' Might Fall Off
Geez at 37,000 miles this seems excessive. I hope he takes this car and can keep it operational so that I can get another one that runs.
@HotZ28 @Steveyo @poncho167 @DocBrown @kd123 @VibeMike87 @oregon_rider @crakkus @prohidium

Attachments

• Buick on the lift.JPG
    Buick on the lift.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Coolant line fault description.jpg
    Coolant line fault description.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 11
Get your turbo buick badge right here!