• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Losing oil

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I was replacing an air filter on my wife's car (14 Verano 2.4) and decided to quickly check the oil level. To my surprise the dipstick was dry. I had an oil filter and oil on hand so I did an oil change on the spot. To my horror, when draining the oil only 2 quarts came out (takes 5). I finished the oil change and decided to check the levels weekly from here on out to try and pinpoint the problem. It's been 3 weeks now and the dipstick still shows it as completely full. There are no signs of leaking anywhere, nothing on the garage floor. I figured at the rate it was losing oil I would notice something by now. In the past I have changed one of the camshaft position actuator solenoids (I don't remember which one, exhaust maybe?) which I know is a common oil issue with these cars. Any ideas where to be looking? The car seems to run fine, no oil pressure lights have come on. It has about 85,000 miles on it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
When was the oil changed before you checked? Average, GM's general statement, 1qt per 3000 miles and will vary on engine milage along with driving habits where it could be higher.

So in a synthetic oil change period of 5000-7500 it's highly possible to be 2qt or more down. Without a baseline it's a little hard to say if it's excessive or normal for the engine milage and miles driven. There was a recall on the previous years because of piston and rings with excessively high oil consumption.

Checking the level every 500 miles may be the first step in seeing if it's loosing oil on the higher level. If there's more details about maintenance that may help, but this is what is from the original post information given.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I typically change oil every 3k miles on all my cars. On hers however I let it slide and it was at 15% in the dash oil indicator. So I would assume I was near whatever the recommended GM number is, maybe 5000?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It may be a watch and wait, 5K may put it at the threshold of use. If it's not dripping out the only other place is the tailpipe, but if it's excessive the catalytic converter may become plugged slightly and start tossing codes.

ChocVerano12

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
Sorry to hear about your oil problem. I had a similar issue, I just posted a thread on it.

I don't think there is any way to fix it but getting GM to give you a new engine. The oil will probably start burning at a faster rate now that your car has more miles. So keep checking the oil so that your engine doesn't lock up. Maybe you can hound GM to look into this issue more. I would not be surprised if we start hearing that lots of Verano's are starting to break down now that the older ones (2012, 2013, 2014) have lots of miles.

LarryB

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I change mine every 5k miles and the oil life indicator would be around 45%. It has 76k currently and seems to burn a qt every 2k miles. I'm considering some high mileage oil for the next oil change to see if it will reduce the rate.