Loss of Power/ Ticking/Slipping... or is it something else? OPINIONS NEEDED

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
Greetings,

I've noticed that after longer drives (100s of miles) with my 2015 Encore (18,000 miles) something acts up a little.

On a San Diego back to LA drive, towards the end of the trip, the car 'stuttered' heading up a slow incline. At first I thought it was bumps in the pavement below (dugg-dugg, dugg-dugg) until the pavement smoothed but the sensation remained. The same effect happened at the end of a LA to Vegas trip.

This time, however, the car seemed to noticeably lose power. As in "please don't push me too hard". The yellow engine light lit and the traction control illuminated too. It kinda recovered after a few miles, maybe when the road leveled off.

When I got home and had the car idling in my driveway, there was a low CLICKING and engine STUTTERING.

Is this that issues others are referring to? Can I walk to dealer and say, "Please fix my blah-blah-blah?" If yes, what is it exactly?

Of course this had to happen days after 4 year warranty expired.

Last edited:

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore, 2012 Buick Regal GS, Other cars:1999 Ferrari 360,2001 Corvette Z06,2005 Silverado
Greetings,

I've noticed that after longer drives (100s of miles) with my 2015 Encore (18,000 miles) something acts up a little.

On a San Diego back to LA drive the car 'stuttered' heading up a slow incline. At first I thought it was bumps in the pavement below (dugg-dugg, dugg-dugg) until the pavement smoothed but the sensation remained. The same effect happened at the end of a LA to Vegas trip.

This time, however, the car seemed to noticeably lose power. As in "please don't push me too hard". The yellow engine light lit and the traction control illuminated too. It kinda recovered after 15 miles.

When the trip was over I made a film of it idling outside my garage. (You'll need earplugs or loud speakers to grasp this.) There was a low CLICKING and engine STUTTERING.

Is this that issues others are referring to? Can I walk to dealer and say, "Please fix my blah-blah-blah?" If yes, what is it exactly?

Have you hooked it up to an OBD scanner to see if there are any pending codes?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If you gotta pay for the repairs, then the dealer will do whatever you want.

But for warranty work, they need to experience the symptoms and diagnose it.

Knowing the Engine Codes is very important in these kind of problems.

I don't see a link to a video either.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Very likely the dealer will refuse it as a warranty repair. However call Buick customer service and ask for a regional rep. It's so close to warranty you stand a very good chance of a good will repair. Until you take it in for a proper diagnosis you won't know. Anything you post here will only get guesses as to what's wrong, especially without any CEL codes.

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
Sorry guys. I changed my mind on posting the video but forgot to edit the initial post.

I lost my OBD scanner but just ordered another.

Also -- I have a feeling this could be covered in the powertrain warranty, no?

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
So I dropped it off yesterday. Got a quick call within two hours.

The rep deployed MUMBLED GARBLED GARAGE SPEAK on me when I asked exactly what was wrong and what they fixed. He insisted on saying it fast and I insisted he slow the sh!t down so I had half a clue of what he was talking about.

"Cylinder coil pack module needed
carbon built up intake cleaning, fuel injector cleaning"

$800 (I live in a part of Southern Cal where this may be inflated)

Questions --

1. Could I have gone to a local mechanic I trust for this sort of thing, and if I had, would there have been much price difference?

2. I'm under a powertrain warranty. Is this Powertrain?

3. Can anybody spare $800 ;)

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
No, probably not covered. Wear and tear. I'd hate to say it but you don't drive your car enough. 18k in 4 years is very low. That's great from a value standpoint but not engine health. The carbon buildup doesn't surprise me at all.

Going forward buy your gas from a station that has what is called Top Tier gas. 11 manufacturers recommend it, GM was one involved in it's development. It will help prevent build up. Also use a fuel injector cleaner on a regular basis, in your case maybe every other tank full of gas.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Direct injection engines are a headache due to the carbon buildup.
DocBrown already mentioned about using Top Tier compliant gas... Shell 91 octane might be one of the better ones at resisting carbon buildup.

There are products for residential car fiddlers to apply for getting rid of the carbon buildup. It's more complicated than just pouring a product into the gas tank.

Other way to keep it clean is to race the crap out of the engine. But that's not ideal.

Believe it or not, but motor oils that are Dexos 2 compliant (not dexos 1 gen 2) really help with slowing down the carbon buildup.

I recommend Amsoil European Car Formula 5w30 or Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Ditto the Top Tier gasoline recommendation. I've been an advocate of using good quality gasoline for many years and am a Shell Gasoline devotee. I think the "better" name brand gasolines have better additives/cleaners that provide a cleaner burn. I predominately use Shell Premium in my 2013 Turbo Verano.

Also should note that the low mileage may be an indication of short trips where the vehicle does not get up to full operating temperature(ie. FOT) or does not run at FOT for a very long time . This will also hasten carbon buildup and also leads to faster deterioration of the motor oil, etc...

Last edited:

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks so much DB, ZBB, and KJ. I'm a computer smartphone guru but cars? Not so much.

And here I was thinking babying my baby would help her out.

I have a local mechanic I trust. Should I go to him every two years (say) and have him do a cleaning? Something like that?