• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Loud humming/vibration while driving

mcaracciolo384

Pittsburgh, PA
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
I was driving home from the beach in my 2014 Encore yesterday (about a 250 mile drive) and an hour into the drive the car started making a loud humming/revving sound. At first i thought it was the muffler of a nearby car. That is what it sounded like. But it was very loud. It seemed to happen when i would get up to about 50 mph or so and then coast down to 40 or lower. I had to pull over at a Chevy dealer in a small town in Delaware and have them take a look. They told me its probably something with the muffler vibrating when it gets to a certain RPM and that it is safe to drive home, just make sure i have it looked at once back.

then when i got home, my dad said he smelled transmission fluid...

So i need to get all of this looked at pretty soon.

Anyone else have any of these issues? My encore only has about 8,000 miles on it. Has driven to and from the beach last year just fine, and drove to the beach with no issues or noises this year, on the way home was when the sounds started.

mnmjackson

Macomb, IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Premium
I had the same thing happen to my new (1 month old) Encore yesterday. I drove it to the lake this weekend and Sunday drove around the lake looking at properties. It was an extremely hot day and the car had to go up and down a lot of hills, so it got a work-out. On my way back home yesterday, I had the same loud humming that the OP wrote about. I noticed it when I went from highway speeds to in-town speeds. To me, it sounds like a jet engine as it is getting ready to land. My wife and I both remarked about it and people in the towns were looking at us. So, it must be noticeable outside the car. It was very unnerving and when I got home I immediately called the dealer. I have an appointment to take it in this Friday, but by the questions I was asked over the phone (did you hear it coming from inside the car or outside? -- I was driving, so it would be a bit difficult to hear it outside the car -- Was it coming from a wheel or from under the hood? Did you notice the temperature change in the car? -- no -- Did it happen when you applied the brake or when you were driving?) To me, it sounds like something to do with the turbo. I wanted them to send a person to pick the car up so they would hear it too, but she said they only send drivers, not technicians, so it wouldn't matter.

We will see if they find anything out, but I'm not expecting anything. My car only has about 1,000 miles on it. I would hate to put it in storage or have to buy another car because they couldn't find out what was happening.

I feel for you, mcaracciolo384!

Mike

mcaracciolo384

Pittsburgh, PA
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
yeah that sounds exactly like the issue mine is having. My dad said it could be because i had 3 people in my car and a packed car with luggage and other stuff and all the extra weight could have been the factor. I haven't had the issue since i got home and haven't had a chance to make an appointment with the dealer yet, so i look forward to seeing what you find out.

mnmjackson

Macomb, IL
Buick Ownership
I'll be sure to let you know. I wondered about the transmission, also, since it seems to happen on deceleration. I drove around our little town this morning and nothing was wrong. The trip to the dealership will take me down the interstate and through towns, so iot should certainly recreate the problem.

Sorry about the shared issue. I do like the Encore and would hate to have to push for another vehicle!

Mike

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
If you depend on your vehicle to reliably and safely get you from point A to B you call the dealer and make an appointment to have it checked. It has been 5 days since your problem and it should be a priority for you to have it looked at not wait to see what happens with other people's vehicles.

mnmjackson

Macomb, IL
Buick Ownership
I took the Encore to the dealer yesterday. They listened patiently to what I had to say, but it didn't make the same sound I was talking about. They said that they checked it out and tried to reproduce the problem by running it at high RPM with the A/C fan on high (I told them this was not the sound, since it was coming from the engine and not from inside the car.) They said they tried to bring about the sound by checking the A/C unit itself, after running it on high, but they could not get it to make the roaring sound I was reporting. They ran the car through their usual check up and said that everything was running as expected. I told them that I just noticed that the oil percentage readout dropped from 91% last week to 80% today and they (very nicely) lectured me about the fact that oil percentage can change based on many things. They even gave me a paper to read about how they calculate it, so I could be better informed.

I guess they decided that the car made that sound (if indeed it really did, or if it was just in my mind) because it was extremely hot that day and the A/C was running non-stop while I was driving on the highway at high speeds. It was, in their words, a normal occurrence. So I guess all I have to do is not drive long distances on hot days in hilly areas, operating my A/C. If only I had known that all I had to do was open my windows, enjoying the 100 degree temps, and slow down!

At least I didn't have to pay for all of this great service! :)

We shall see what happens the next time. Maybe I can record the sound? This never happened in any of my other vehicles, and I have had many!

Mike

mcaracciolo384

Pittsburgh, PA
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
Thats basically exactly what i was told when i first took my car to the Chevy dealership when i first heard the sound. That everything appeared to be fine from their check.

mnmjack did you have a lot of luggage/weight in your car when you were hearing the noise? I was having the AC running when i was hearing it as well.

mnmjackson

Macomb, IL
Buick Ownership
I was carrying luggage and other bags, but I didn't believe it was overloaded. Maybe just having some extra weight in the vehicle, along with running the A/C because of the hot temperature outside, and driving at high speeds taxed the system. That's odd, though, because it has never happened with any of my other cars. If this is so, it's certainly a temperamental little cuss! Maybe I should take my wife's Prius C the next time we travel!

Mike

2013BlackEncore

Buick Ownership
Buick
Same thing here - car was fully loaded with luggage and three adults - this sound occurred around 1500 rpm and especially when the rpms were falling from 2000 to 1500. Once unloaded the sound was gone. Likely a problem without a solution and since my Encore is rarely fully loaded I am not too worried about it.

mnmjackson

Macomb, IL
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the info. I haven't had the noise since the trip, but I'm getting ready to go back to the lake. Maybe I'll hear it again. I think it has to do with the load we were carrying. Maybe if I don't carry so much weight it won't happen again.

Heavy thighs were not the problem and I can't believe it is the noise cancelling system, since it cause so much more noise. Maybe we need a noise cancelling system for the noise cancelling system? LOL

Mike

Esq

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Has anyone ever figured out the cause of this? What repair is needed? I've been dealing with this intermittently since May in my 2015 Encore. It is at its worst when the car is full of passengers and/or cargo. This past Thanksgiving was the worst.

jlee24219

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Has anyone ever figured out the cause of this? What repair is needed? I've been dealing with this intermittently since May in my 2015 Encore. It is at its worst when the car is full of passengers and/or cargo. This past Thanksgiving was the worst.
The wife and I just bought a 2015 Encore and so far this has really put a dampening on our purchase. Doesn't happen all the time but we had guest in and took them out. It definitely was worse then and sort of embarrassing for a car we just purchased. I haven't contacted a dealer yet due to the holidays...but I do dread the traveling with the car loaded.

I found this on google and it seems to pertain

https://gm.oemdtc.com/4456/loud-drone-or-growl-noise-heard-from-inside-vehicle-2014-2015-buick-encore

Hopefully we can get it resolved

G-935062

I was driving home from the beach in my 2014 Encore yesterday (about a 250 mile drive) and an hour into the drive the car started making a loud humming/revving sound. At first i thought it was the muffler of a nearby car. That is what it sounded like. But it was very loud. It seemed to happen when i would get up to about 50 mph or so and then coast down to 40 or lower. I had to pull over at a Chevy dealer in a small town in Delaware and have them take a look. They told me its probably something with the muffler vibrating when it gets to a certain RPM and that it is safe to drive home, just make sure i have it looked at once back.

then when i got home, my dad said he smelled transmission fluid...

So i need to get all of this looked at pretty soon.

Anyone else have any of these issues? My encore only has about 8,000 miles on it. Has driven to and from the beach last year just fine, and drove to the beach with no issues or noises this year, on the way home was when the sounds started.
I just bought mine yesterday and thought the noise was rust on the rotors. Had a garage check it and they said it was the air flow through the muffler. They said to replace the muffler and the resonator.

gralm

San Diego, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore Base, Cocao Metallic
My 2013 Encore developed a sound after about five - five and a half year of light usage. It sounded like a light rattle of thin metal sheet. My first thought was a heat shield. I was close, but not a bull eye. My mechanic showed me that my exhaust resonator was bad - after he pressed a piece of wood against it the sound stopped.

The GM only sells the entire assembly of a resonator, long pipe, and a muffler for more than $1100. I found aftermarket resonator by Walker at CARID for $70 including tax and shipping. After it was installed (about one hour in labor) the rattle has gone.

Greg